<  OFF TOPIC / QUESTIONS  ~  Swedish

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:27 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 1729Location: HungaryJoined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:53 pm
hi!

I am learning Swedish on my own, i have a really good stundent book and I use memrise too for learning words. My little problem is that if i write something i cant actually check if my sentences are correct or not. therefore im looking for a site where i can find long texts (most likely short stories) which are available in both swedish and english, so as I could try and translate it myself and then check the english version to see if i was correct or not.

any of you know something like this?
tack ska du ha!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:42 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 2478Location: NorwayJoined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:27 pm
Fuck swedish, try norwegian ;p

Nah that's cool man. Swedish, Danish and Norwegian are pretty similar, so if you understand one of them, you can understand much with the others :)

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:37 pm
User avatarModeratorModeratorPosts: 1980Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:27 am
I use this site, but only for small bits of text - stuff like ebay adverts not in English: http://www.freetranslation.com/
Not 100% accurate translation but can work it out. Don't know if it will be any good.
Done a quick search and some of these sites might be useful: http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=swedis ... es+english

Good luck :-D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:00 pm
User avatarCaptainCaptainPosts: 664Location: CroatiaJoined: Mon May 19, 2008 7:18 am
Jericho-X wrote:
try norwegian ;p

Nah that's cool man. Swedish, Danish and Norwegian are pretty similar, so if you understand one of them, you can understand much with the others :)

i'm learning norwegian actually. swedish has more speakers but i think overall norwegian is the 'middle language' when it comes to scandinavian languages, it gives one a discount on swedish and danish. plus i think the ortography is the least difficult.

i'm also learning spanish and after that i'm thinking about getting back to russian and maybe start with turkish (turkic languages are spoken by about 100 million speakers in central eurasia)

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:20 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 1729Location: HungaryJoined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:53 pm
Jericho-X wrote:
Fuck swedish, try norwegian ;p

I plan to learn danish, norwegian and finnish (in this order) after i got to a good level in swedish. but actually i fell in love with swedish and im intensively learning that since november last year.

thanks for the help rsshawn i go check the stuffs out.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:30 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 2478Location: NorwayJoined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:27 pm
kkikx74 wrote:

i'm learning norwegian actually. swedish has more speakers but i think overall norwegian is the 'middle language' when it comes to scandinavian languages, it gives one a discount on swedish and danish. plus i think the ortography is the least difficult.

i'm also learning spanish and after that i'm thinking about getting back to russian and maybe start with turkish (turkic languages are spoken by about 100 million speakers in central eurasia)

Norwegian is difficult to learn, cause we have so much dialects here, the written word is not always how we speak it out loud. ^^ Many foreigners are struggling with that!

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:04 pm
User avatarCaptainCaptainPosts: 664Location: CroatiaJoined: Mon May 19, 2008 7:18 am
Jericho-X wrote:
Norwegian is difficult to learn, cause we have so much dialects here, the written word is not always how we speak it out loud. ^^ Many foreigners are struggling with that!

well i dont intend to write a doctors thesis in norwegian :-D i always aim for the basic conversation. and dialects are always a problem, in any country

anyway, if you ever try learning some of the south slavic languages, we speak exactly like its written :-D always

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:15 pm
kkikx74 wrote:
Jericho-X wrote:

well i dont intend to write a doctors thesis in norwegian :-D i always aim for the basic conversation. and dialects are always a problem, in any country

anyway, if you ever try learning some of the south slavic languages, we speak exactly like its written :-D always

actually that is what i like. i honeslty think EVERY language should invent a writing system which fits the spoken language. I so much hate that you can pronounce the "a" about five different way in english for instance. its totally nonsense.
that is why i love my mother language hungarian. apart from a VERY FEW words we ALWAYS say what we write. you learn the alphabetic and you can pronounce every fucking word in the language. so easy. ok, our grammar is fucking difficult... after all hungarian is the second hardest language to learn, but now we were talking about pronounciation right? :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:36 am
PrivatePrivatePosts: 120Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:42 pm
As a Swede I like your choice of language, but I thought Finnish might be easier since it is the same language group as Hungarian. But since you know English, Swedish is not that far after all. Good luck!

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:55 pm
Flax wrote:
As a Swede I like your choice of language, but I thought Finnish might be easier since it is the same language group as Hungarian. But since you know English, Swedish is not that far after all. Good luck!

thanks man. yes, english is great help for me, it would be much much harder if i wouldnt speak english.