<  OFF TOPIC / QUESTIONS  ~  Ed from Chems vs swedishhousemafia - EDM debate on Mixmag

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:39 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 2881Location: ESTJoined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:30 pm
http://www.mixmag.net/words/news/ed-chemical-brothers-slams-swedish-house-mafia

http://www.mixmag.net/words/features/the-great-edm-debate

quite interesting debate has risen from little twitter hustle between Ed from chems and swedish house mafia. mixmag journalist and some legendary dj has introduced different angles of the subject.

there are some good points about this matter, similar what some people expressed in our Dubshit crap thread.

i think both sides are right in some points. Tommie Sunshine sayd well, that you can't live in your nostalgia and in era of sound when you found your favourites. and people should be little more open minded and see things though eyes of the new waves of sounds and its makers bit more.

still, overall i totally agree with Chems guy. EDM artists hardly make some good, original, interesting dance music nowdays. and Swedish house mafia really is a drivel.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:20 am
User avatarLieutenantLieutenantPosts: 510Location: New York CityJoined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:43 pm
While I would agree with Ed, the Chems have completely and utterly produced nothing worthy of claiming they're changing the scene, or pushing the envelope. To go even further, as a one time huge Chems fan, they've been putting 'drivel' out just the same.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:56 am
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 1304Location: RomâniaJoined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:58 am
prodigalOne wrote:
While I would agree with Ed, the Chems have completely and utterly produced nothing worthy of claiming they're changing the scene, or pushing the envelope. To go even further, as a one time huge Chems fan, they've been putting 'drivel' out just the same.

Their last album is a wash up (horse power is the best on that one) and We Are the Night with Salmon Dance has to be one of the worst albums that they have put out.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:41 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 3303Location: DoglandJoined: Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:49 pm
yeah but this says it all really

Quote:
We have a problem with the music not being the focal point. We have a problem with dance music being used as a template for pop music if it has everything that made it so good for dancing to sucked right out of it.

it's not dance music anymore. it's pop. it's a parody. it's the tokyo hotel of rock. only good for attracting young kids, get very hyped, beyond famous, and then just die out like a flame that burns too bright and consumes itself. i'm waiting patiently cause i'm positive that in the next few years, intelligent, creative stuff will apear once again. it's the cycle in a way. a period of extreme diversity and creativity, then a period of watered down, simple and superficial stuff. it happens in every genre of music in a 20 years cycle

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:10 pm
User avatarThe Orange AuthorityThe Orange AuthorityPosts: 4748Location: NetherlandsJoined: Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:39 pm
*PinHead* wrote:
it's the cycle in a way. a period of extreme diversity and creativity, then a period of watered down, simple and superficial stuff. it happens in every genre of music in a 20 years cycle

Good good good point, thanks for reminding me this! I think it's a tough battle for a special and creative band to be succesful between these 'fake' superficial acts... Prodigy - Skrillex come to mind, not the best example, but the young people will probably see Skrillex as the succesful and 'good' one, and Prodigy as a lame softer electronic act. Just how it goes... I'm curious who will crawl out of the shit sewers all clean and fresh in a few years.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:52 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 1718Location: Always outdrunk, Never outsoberJoined: Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:32 pm
I'm disillusioned with current electronic music as a whole. I can't think of one band or one song that makes me go 'yeah thats fucking badass and original!'

I think thats why i'm constantly listening to old stuff, when acts were pushing envelopes and exploring new ways of laying down a beat.

Electronic music these days is just fucking noise.

This is not an old man rant either!