<  PRODIGY NEWS  ~  Interviews and articles

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:49 pm
User avatarProdigious ArabPosts: 4204Location: The Dark SideJoined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:22 pm

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:40 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 1113Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:05 am
http://www.rollingstone.it/musica/inter ... 016-08-04/

Quote:
P as Prodigy
We interviewed Liam Howlett, mind, founder of the British band that will perform at the Parco Gondar Gallipoli on August 16 and the Home of Treviso Festival September 2

of Claudio Biazzetti / August 4, 2016

Simon Reynolds in his Generation E compares the English rave movement of the early nineties to grunge. Different areas of expansion, different music, the same nucleus of rebellion towards a future denied by years of repressive and conservative politics inherited from the Eighties - everyone has had his cross, in America the Reagan and Thatcher in the UK.

Therefore, the generation E (where E is for Ecstasy) has seen his Nirvana in groups like the Chemical Brothers and Prodigy, who still remote today than twenty (twenty-six in the case of Prodigy) dismantle plazas, lawns and stages with something that keeps the 'original idea of ​​the Big Beat: menacing bass and frenetic pace. Giving Kurt Cobain Liam Howlett, mind founder of the band of Braintree, though it sounds excessive. Although many of the beatmaker successes suggest a talent in continuous creative evolution, able to range from drum 'n' bass to techno to rock like few still can.

Last week here in Milan there was a gigantic live Chemical Brothers , which was attended by a monstrous amount of people. Someone shouted at the Big Beat miracle, eternal and infallible. What do you think about it?
I would categorize. The fact that the Chemicals have played in Italy in front of so many people shows us that to be strong are electronics and anything that has to do with the party. Both we and the Chemical Brothers have done much more than Big Beat and, more generally, what can not die is the electronics. It is nice to hear that so many people still has much to devote to a band like The Chemical Brothers instead of a DJ like David Guetta. Nothing against her fans, I'm just using an example to locate the pop and commercial side of the coin. We as Chemicals and others are in the opposite side. This music can not die, you will always find a place to stay.

According to you, a little 'the electronic pop of David Guetta has not affected?
If anything, the opposite. Always the pop producer wants to make money, no matter what the sound to propose. That's why, for example, now feels much dubstep and trap, genres that only a few years ago they were holed up in the underground. But the producer underground should not be afraid, because in any case the mainstream will always be something different, with much less artistic value. The mainstream always feeds the underground creativity, but between the two there is a quality gap. That's how it has always cyclically: If the rock has become popular is thanks to producers who have not lost time to adapt it to pop. It does not affect us because the Prodigy continue on their way as they always have. When it was released the last album, for me it was important to point out the line that we have drawn many years ago. On the one hand there are people like us and the Chemical Brothers, on the other, there is everything else.

On your side there is still the message of protest like twenty years ago?
If there was so many people at the concert of the Chemical Brothers, it means that something of that message still survives today. It should definitely be in there somewhere, right? [Laughs] And then, one of the reasons why this anger is still there, is that no rock band, no other artist came after the electronics are able to do better. No one came after the electronics boom managed to eclissarla, making people forget. When I say I am not referring only to the electronic drum 'n' bass more underground, but also to the more commercial. People will always want to go out to go dancing here, the electronics is their soundtrack.

And like electronics see yourself in 5-10 years?
Still in full health, but you should ask the new generations. It is no secret that belongs to those who come. Us, our, we have done already. Now it's up to the kids, it is they who know the secret. It has to set foot outside the house, maybe in a simple house party or just at the concert by The Chemical Brothers, listen to something for the first time and then go home full of ideas. It is not a matter of sounds but the writing of the song: you're walking home after a night out at a club or concert and there is a track that sticks in your head. A melody, a battery, any thing you are bouncing between neurons, taking up all your attention. It's really easy to make electronics, today more than yesterday.

What is difficult is to be remembered by people.
Exactly! Today it is hard to stand out with something original. Too many people, too many producer who are copying each other. Even at 18 I was trying to imitate the sound of my idols, but take it as a training course. From there, it is important to build their own path, their own idea of ​​music.

I have several friends who are into the EDM. Good people, for heaven's sake, but it really shitty music. I once happened in the studio while they were working on a new track. I was shocked because in fact they were passing the time to comb through the loop and preset libraries.
What a nuisance. When I hear these things will only bother me. The problem lies in too easily as they now can you call electronic artist. They do not even know to improvise two guitar chords and call themselves musicians.

I imagine that your studio is a riot of analog machines and a few software. Right?
What I like to do in the studio more than anything else is playing, improvising dam session with whoever happens and maybe shoot the music obscene volumes. I'm full of keyboards, guitars and amplifiers of all kinds. Then, clearly, as anyone who own a computer and even a laptop for knocking out two ideas when I'm on tour, but only if they are forced out of the house. I'm not a computer guy and I do not go crazy behind a screen.

Have you ever thought about giving up music and reinvent yourself with other trades?
I thought about it a thousand times in the last 10-20 years. The fact is that you need to compose for me, I have to find a way out for all the ideas and melodies that gives birth to my mind. I have to get them out. For many it is frustrating to have a creative block, when you have to weave a plot but lacks the creative spark. But if you have a creative mind, you are a musician or a writer a visual artist, always you manage to overcome the blockade. A creative mind never stops for too long. But, of course, you do not know how many times before starting an album I thought, "Shit, I just can not stand to do!" The trick is to find their own creative area. Once you find the area, stay in the zone.

OK, but then you might consider staying in music but extend productions, say, to the rapper.
I'm thinking in recent times more than I've thought of it all my life, you know? For me to produce is the most natural thing in the world, are a beatmaker. So far I have always kept the beat for my projects, but, since I have a bit 'of new, maybe I'll keep them for something new. Still nothing decided, however.

Who is the chaotic element in the band?
On stage is Keith [Flint, ed]. While behind the stage-hold on tight-it's always Keith. Maxim instead is relaxed, essential within the band because it acts as a mediator, as the glue. Keith is still unmanageable in the recording studio, a loose cannon.

Look on the bright side: you are authentic, always the same after all these years.
Yes, OK, but this is precisely the reason why we put so much time to make an album. I try, I try again, and then I get bored and I send all fuck off. I go away from the studio once, twice, three times leaving the studio in the hands of someone else. So then the label is angry and we have the usual. I know, with the right conditions I can write an album from start to finish, but this happened twenty years ago. With the last three albums were all more-how to say? -doloroso [Laughs].

But at that time you had other problems, perhaps even larger, as the controversy about explicit lyrics. You still have this trouble in 2016?
No, because the shock factor nowadays is far greater in 2016 than Smack My Bitch Up time. People will not be offended that much, why Miley Cyrus must get in ridiculous even to shock. The difference is that everything that you saw and felt in the video Firestarter and Smack My Bitch Up was not only the result of a natural evolution of the band but also some fiction. People are not stupid and, with the exception of a few, he quickly realized that in the video there is nothing true. The sense of Smack My Bitch Up is certainly not un'incitamento to beat your girlfriend. We have never been Marilyn Manson us.

Well, he had much bigger problems than yours. You have not been accused of having inspired the massacre of Columbine.
Yes, we unlike Marilyn Manson did not want to stir up anger. He is the key to the dispute because he was convinced of what he said. He did it with authenticity without caring about the consequences. If you have something to say, say it. But if you say one thing for its own sake, to stir up the chatter around you, then you're pathetic. Many stars of today do without being authentic as Marilyn Manson.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:08 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 6512Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:44 am
Funny interview from Iceland 95

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlFXmgsoobY

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:55 am
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 6512Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:44 am

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:47 pm
User avatarProdigious ArabPosts: 4204Location: The Dark SideJoined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:22 pm

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:06 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 1356Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:26 pm
is no souvenirs going to be in the new album?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:30 am
SPECIAL FORCES wrote:

Looks like it

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:13 am
User avatarSergeantSergeantPosts: 422Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:31 pm
Electronic_Punk® wrote:
SPECIAL FORCES wrote:

Looks like it

Fools' Day joke

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:51 pm
neomatrix wrote:
Electronic_Punk® wrote:
SPECIAL FORCES wrote:

Looks like it

Fools' Day joke

Yeah, I wonder who did it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:26 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 1356Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:26 pm
neomatrix wrote:
Fools' Day joke

about the album or no souvenirs neomatrix? :?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:43 am
User avatarSergeantSergeantPosts: 422Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:31 pm
SPECIAL FORCES wrote:
neomatrix wrote:
Fools' Day joke

about the album or no souvenirs neomatrix? :?

both. very funny is david guetta as their gig support

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:35 pm
New Russian interview to promote the tour in May

http://tv-gubernia.ru/novosti/liem_houl ... bezumstva/

1. liam "promised" new tracks as said before and this year

2. they think of collabs with more hiphop artists again

Maybe someone can translate the rest

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 10:59 am
User avatarPrivatePrivatePosts: 185Location: PolandJoined: Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:57 pm
Electronic_Punk® wrote:
New Russian interview to promote the tour in May

http://tv-gubernia.ru/novosti/liem_houl ... bezumstva/

1. liam "promised" new tracks as said before and this year

2. they think of collabs with more hiphop artists again

Maybe someone can translate the rest

I found it on Facebook:

Liam Howlett from The Prodigy "The Russians are capable of madness. And we like it "
The founder of the legendary group, on the eve of his arrival in the capital of the Chernozem region, told in an interview with the "TV of Gubernia" about what to expect the Voronezh residents from the forthcoming concert
Within a month, The Prodigy will come to the Black Earth capital. Legends of the rave in the framework of his Russian tour will perform on May 21 in the concert hall of the Event-Hall of the City Park "Grad". This news for several months does not let Voronezh music lovers sleep peacefully: the townspeople are in anticipation of the show of the famous British and, judging by the glory of The Prodigy, we are waiting for something grand. This is confirmed by the musician, the founder of the legendary band Liam Howlett, who on the eve of the arrival of the group in Voronezh agreed to talk with the correspondents of TV Gubernia and answer several questions.

- Last year, within the first part of the Russian tour, you visited several cities of our country. What are your impressions of the trips? Have you had time to try Russian cuisine?
- Oh, yes, we love your country and the Russians, so we come back to you again. During the first part of the tour, we sometimes moved on trains, so we learned a little more about Russia. And as for Russian cuisine, we did not have time to try it out. We ate only toast.

- Tell me more about the upcoming show. What is Voronezh waiting for and what needs to be prepared for your fans? And what do you expect from the concert and from the fans?
- I expect that it will be drop dead (in fact, Liam called another word, but under the law on mate in the media, we can not call him) chaos and gap in full!

- Do your Russian fans differ from fans from other countries?
- Oh, the Russian fans know exactly how to make sure that you have a roof. They never sit and do not just watch the show. They are involved in what is happening on the stage and are capable of madness. We really like this.

- You have long been called rave legends, the band The Prodigy is more than 25 years old, but you still get fans and write amazing music. What is your secret?
"I do not know and I do not even want to know what our secret is." We never analyzed this.

- Will you please your fans with new music in the near future?
- Yes, we are working on new tracks. And we will release them this year, as promised.

- What kind of music do you like? And with which bands The Prodigy could record a joint song?
- I like just good music. And it does not matter to me what it is, only there was a powerful bass. As for the answer to the second question - we are thinking of cooperating with rap artists. Let's see what we can do.

- And in which most unusual place did you have to perform?
"In prison in England."

- Do you have any rituals in the band that you follow before going on stage?
- No, I like to just go on stage and "cut" the music, completely giving in to his work.

- How do you spend your free time and rest between tours or concerts?
"I do not rest." I can rest later in my life. Usually I'm either at the studio or have fun with my family.

See the entire group The Prodigy Voronezh will already on May 21. It is known that the best modern dance group arranges very powerful and bright shows. About what needs to be done to make the concert a success, read in our previous material.

Daria SHIPOVSKAYA

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:22 pm
User avatarLieutenantLieutenantPosts: 597Location: MontréalJoined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:58 am
New tracks, released this year as promised. A prime example of a drunken promise if I've ever seen one. :-D

Prove me wrong Master H. Prove. Me. WRONG. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:34 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 3115Location: LithuaniaJoined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:18 pm
Quote:
- And in which most unusual place did you have to perform?
"In prison in England."

when was this?