<  PRODIGY NEWS  ~  BRAINKILLER INTERVIEWS LIAM HOWLETT

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:01 pm
User avatarProdigious ArabPosts: 4204Location: The Dark SideJoined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:22 pm
Had the honor of interviewing Master H via email. It was done quickly due to the band's tight schedule. Enjoy!

Quote:
Hello Liam, thank you very much for taking time for doing this interview, means a lot to our Brainkiller Prodigy community as we are kinda fed up (and i certainly think you are too) of the regular questions that the journalists do. With this interview we intend it to be for hardcore fans and their thoughts about your work in The Prodigy.

Question 1: AWOL (Strike One) is amazing, we love how it's a mash up between the original AWOL and AWOL beats. Are we getting a strike two or any Jetfighter era tracks like Dogbite and Jetfighter or even older tracks like Nuclear or Trigger on future ep's or are you only going for fresh tracks?

YO , I DONT THINK ITS WORTH PUTTING ANY ENERGY INTO THOSE OLDER TUNES WHEN I CAN BE WRITING NEW ONES , THATS THE KIND OF THING ID DO IF I HAD NO IDEAS OR WAS BORED , AWOL SURVIVED BECAUSE THERE WAS 2 HALF DECENT VERSIONS AND SO I SMASHED THEM TOGETHER , AS FOR STRIKE 2 WHO KNOWS FOR NOW . IDEAS TEND TO BOUNCE BACK AND STICK AROUND IF THEY ARE GOOD ,,, I GOT A FOLDER ON MY STUDIO COMPUTER WITH OLD STUFF IV WRITTEN JUST TO REMIND MYSELF

Question 2: Rebel Radio is one of the stand out tracks on the new album. It rocked the crowd when you played it live in Australia! What's the reason for it being dropped from the setlist? And why don’t you play the album version since it’s a killer track and also considering the album was supposed to be called that way.

YEAH I WILL BRING THAT BACK THAT VERSION ON THE TOUR WE GOT COMIN UP , THAT TUNE WAS A COMPLETE FUKER TO FINISH TO BE HONEST SO IT DESERVES TO BE PLAYED LIVE AGAIN ,I JUST HAVNT FOUND THE BEST LIVE ARRANGMENT FOR IT YET ,, I DIDNT KNOW IT WAS THAT POPULAR WITH OUR FANS

Question 3: Neil McLellan has produced The Prodigy stuff since 93, even when you were doing IMD with another producer you went back to Neil. What makes this partnership so important to you, does he plays an important role in the sound you are known for?

NEIL IS FIRSTLY MY BRO, MY FRIEND , MY RIGHT HAND MAN , ITS MORE THAN HIM JUST MIXING THE TUNES , HE KNOWS HOW TO GET ME OUT OF A BLOCK IF I CANT FINISH A TUNE BECAUSE HE KNOWS HOW MY HEAD WORKS . THE WORD PRODUCER HAS KIND OF BEEN CONFUSED OVER THE YEARS BUT WHATEVER THE TUNE IS OR WHAT STATE ITS IN NEIL IS SOMEBODY I TRUST TO PLAY SHIT TO. LIKE FOR EXAMPLE I PRODUCED AND MIXED THE MUSIC OF FIRESTARTER IN MY STUDIO ,, NEIL RECORDED AND MIXED THE VOCALS AND WE PUT IT TOGETHER. SO OVER THE YEARS THE TUNES HAVE HAD VARIOUS DIFFERENT LEVELS OF INPUT FROM NEIL , WHATEVER WAS NEEDED TO GET THEM TO THE FINISHED STATE
AND THATS WHY WE WORK TOGETHER , ITS A TRUST THING . I DONT CARE ABOUT ANY OTHER PRODUCERS/ MIX ENGINEERS IV WORKED WITH , I CANT REMEMBER ANY OF THEM ANYWAY

Question 4: Will you ever share stems of a prodigy song so that the producers out there can remix your work? what's you favourite remix of all time that an artist has done of your work and who would you like to have been remixed by?

YEAH , LETS HEAR WHAT TUNES PEOPLE OUT THERE WOULD LIKE TO REMIX ,,, I DO LIKE IT WHEN I HEAR PEOPLE MESSING WITH THE TUNES . THERES BEEN A FEW REMIXES THAT HAVE STOOD OUT , PROBABLY THE BEST IS NOISIA SMACK MY BITCH UP ,,, IT FUKIN KILLS PEOPLE . I DO KNOW THO THAT I FIND IT HARD REMIXING MY OWN TUNES

Question 5: Does sampling interfere in your decision not to release a song when you face resistance from the original artist? Songs like Rock n’Roll and Dead Ken Beats included a lot of samples and never got released, or they just weren't good enough?
NO NOT AT ALL , ITS USUALLY IF WE LIKE IT OR STANDS THE TEST OF TIME ,, I GUESS THOSE 2 DIDNT . MOST SAMPLES CAN BE CLEARED AT A PRICE BUT I DEFINATE​LY AM USING THEM LESS AND LESS NOW .

Question 6: You worked with many artists, some of those works seen the light of day and some were binned. Which of those binned collabs you regret most? Are there any of them you would work with again and give those tracks new life?
NO NONE , THATS MY HONEST SHORT ANSWER HAHA , WELL MAYBE JUST NO SOUVENIRS , THAT JUST COULDNT BE FINISHED ,

Question 7: Did you tear No Souvenirs apart into other tracks? From the only version we have heard (Unkles remix), there seems to be the same bassline as in Invaders Must Die Intro and also a few sounds that were used on Bak 2 Skool.
NO ABSOLUTELY ZERO SOUNDS FROM NO SOUVENIRS WERE USED IN ANY OTHER TUNES ,, U ARE HEARING THINGS THAT ARNT THERE!
HERE IS AN INTERESTING FACT FOR U —>
JAMES RUSHENT PLAYED BASS GUITAR ON INVADERS AND USED THE SAME BASS GUITAR THAT IS ON ‘PEACHES’ BY THE STRANGLERS . HIS DAD GAVE IT TO HIM ,, MARTIN RUSHENT PRODUCED THE STRANGLERS ALBUMS

Question 8: The band is nearing it's 25th Birthday, any plans for a special gig or another warriors dance festival as a celebration?

WE DONT EVER LOOK THAT FAR AHEAD EVER , I KNOW ITS NOT THAT FAR NOW ,,,, WE WILL DO SOMETHING FOR SURE , WE ARE ALL PROUD OF WHAT WE HAVE DONE BUT FOR NOW I WANT TO WRITE SOME FRESH BEATS

Question 9: Looking back, how do you think a younger Liam would think of the music that Liam makes nowadays and how do you see yourself back in the early years of your career?
I THINK HE WOULD BUZZ OFF IT AND HEAR THAT HE HADNT SOLD OUT , KEPT IT REAL . WHEN I LOOK BACK AT THE WAY I USED TO WRITE TUNES I REALISE HOW MUCH FASTER I WAS BACK THEN AT FINISHING STUFF , LIKE I WOULD HAVE TO COMMIT TO AN IDEA BECAUSE IT WOULD BE HARD TO CHANGE IT LATER ,
ALSO THOUGH THERE WAS ALSO LOTS OF TIME SPENT MESSING ABOUT CHOPPING BEATS UP FOR HOURS WHEN NOW IT CAN BE DONE IN 60 SECONDS BECAUSE OF THE EQUIPMENT ADVANCES , I THINK THE YOUNG LIAM STILL WOULDNT HAVE LIKED ‘BABY’S GOT A TEMPER’ THOUGH

Question 10: Finally, what's on your agenda for 2016? We know that The Prodigy will be touring but can the fans expect a new Dirtchamber, new EPs or a movie score?
YEAH I WILL BE FOCUSSING ON NEW EPs AND I WILL DO ANOTHER MIX ALBUM ,,,
AS FAR AS MOVIE SCORE GOES , THE RIGHT THING HAS TO COME ALONG TO FIRE ME UP ,, IM NOT WORK FOR HIRE

Thanks for your time Master H! Any words for the Brainkiller crew?

RESPECTS TO ALL Y’ALL!
Attachments:
bk.jpg
bk.jpg [ 895.81 KiB | Viewed 12261 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:09 pm
User avatarModeratorModeratorPosts: 4268Location: GreeceJoined: Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:06 am
Good job guys! :-D

RIP KEEF
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:16 pm
User avatarCorporalCorporalPosts: 302Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:36 am
Goddamn Liam, turn off caps lock!

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:26 pm
User avatarProdigious ArabPosts: 4204Location: The Dark SideJoined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:22 pm
June wrote:
Good job guys! :-D

No worries. Thanks to UN for the design.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:27 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 2881Location: ESTJoined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:30 pm
great job! respect!!!

so he knows now how popular rebel radio is. he said it, the arrangement needs some corrections. agree. hopefully we will hear it live soon.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:37 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 1225Location: Lisbon, PortugalJoined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:39 am
Respect for BK members for doing this and for Liam's time to answer. :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:54 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 1304Location: RomâniaJoined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:58 am
Good questions!
So, now maybe people will stop asking in the forum for tracks like Trigger, Nuclear, No Souvenirs, it seems that Liam time and time again said that they are old and just won't go back to them.
As far as a mix album I guess we all know Liam got ahead of himself.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:14 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 1718Location: Always outdrunk, Never outsoberJoined: Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:32 pm
Amazing job EP. The whole community should be proud. No bullshit questions and actual answers with substance.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:08 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 1090Location: SerbiaJoined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:55 am
Yeah. Great read. And Liam mentioned no souvenirs himself lol. Before the ns question.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:19 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 1113Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:05 am
pretty nice interview. Honest and clear answers by LH.
Basic, lets all forget about old unreleased tracks, understand his point of view in not releasing them and just focus on new stuff.

About Dirtchamber 2....i wouldnt hold my breath and its a licensing nightmare to get all of the tracks cleared to be used. but im into Liam mix skills and his playlist like Back To Mine and the Spotify list in which he shares music he digs. One per year would be cool.

The answer about Neil is really great, its more than work and you can clearly see Neil is important when Liam has creative blocks.

So what tracks would people like to remix, seems he wants feedback.... would be nice to get steams of Radio Rebel.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:20 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 6511Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:44 am
None too shabby :oldsmile:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:22 pm
User avatarColonelColonelPosts: 825Location: EnglandJoined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:20 pm
Great read but you could have asked what his favourite colour is :-D .

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:46 pm
User avatarModeratorModeratorPosts: 2660Location: Zagreb, CroatiaJoined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:15 am
:oldsmile: , great job guys

proud BK'er

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:47 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 1356Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:26 pm
1) Liam respects me!!!

2)E.P. can we still pm you and expect for an answer,or you are ''too high" for us from now on?

3)good job you cunt :heart:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:07 pm
User avatarA.K.A. feelxPosts: 3056Location: Montréal, QCJoined: Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:32 pm
INTERESTING READ THANKS EP

/capslock