<  PRODIGY NEWS  ~  The Prodigy - No Tourists (The New Album) 2nd Nov 2018

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:06 am
User avatarLieutenantLieutenantPosts: 597Location: MontréalJoined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:58 am
Danny_G13 wrote:
gcx wrote:
sks2002 wrote:
Hate me for this but, AONO is my favourite album.

It's my least favourite album, but I wouldn't go as far as trying to shame people for liking it by adding pejorative comments and incendiary insults.

Its first half has some really good tracks, the other half not so much IMHO, but I can understand if someone likes them.

Its funny to see the same people criticizing Howlett for doing Prodigy-By-Numbers and then complain again when he does something different.

"Boohoo, I don't like thing"
Move on and stop behaving like spoiled brats.

True, but NT surely isn't different? And that's a lot of the criticism.

Isn't different? Depends how you look at it I guess. We don't all look for the same things it seems.

NT has clearer production and it's much less convoluted, some say IMD and TDIME were overproduced, I don't think NT is.

In terms of musicality, it's a bit more upbeat. It's also much dancier. IMD and TDIME didn't really have any danceable tracks. Actually, had there been danceable tracks since MFTJG? Didn't Leeroy quit after TFOTL because of that?

NT is recognisably Prodigy when you listen to it though, no doubt about it. If I had been blind-tested, I would have recognized all NT tracks as being The Prodigy (I did get fooled by Girls back in the days though), so maybe that's what makes it similar? I don't think there's anything wrong with that. The beats, the strings, the synths, the sped up vocal sampes, all very recognizable, yes.

I does also re-uses a bunch of sounds and styles from all eras. MFTJG synths (LUTS), modernized Experience style beats with samples (WLF, TBZ), slower heavy beat (NT), aggressive synths with fast beats like TDIME (COL), 303 with hardcore beats (GMAS), the whole band singing like IMD (WLF), typical Howlett hip hop beats (NS1, FFWF), ragga (fake) samples like Experience (RES, LUTS)... This is like a mashup of Prodigy sounds, so yeah, there's a likeness.

I think it's a fantastic direction. After 28 years of history, it feels like very healthy, confident, commited Prodigy sound.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:39 pm
GruntGruntPosts: 27Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:41 pm
Gave IMD a spin today - it sounds so light and happy compared to those before and after lol
It has a feel-good aura that's only found in Experience too.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:58 pm
User avatarLieutenantLieutenantPosts: 597Location: MontréalJoined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:58 am
SirKicksalot wrote:
Gave IMD a spin today - it sounds so light and happy compared to those before and after lol

I agree, and it's exactly why I feel that TDIME is absolutely not IMD 2.0, in the same way that NT is different too. I guess people hear and feel different things.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:05 pm
User avatarProdigious ArabPosts: 4204Location: The Dark SideJoined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:22 pm
gcx wrote:
SirKicksalot wrote:

I agree, and it's exactly why I feel that TDIME is absolutely not IMD 2.0, in the same way that NT is different too. I guess people hear and feel different things.

I think the main reasons why people think that it's IMD 2.0 is because Liam himself said that Omen and TMTTH are templates for what he's planning to write for their sixth album which turned out to be true with Nasty and GYFO. There's also the constant use of 8-bit on both albums (especially on Colors and Wild Frontier).

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:03 pm
User avatarSergeantSergeantPosts: 413Location: Tenerife (fan since 95)Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:53 am
TDIME would have been their best album if they had included Roadblox (Paula Temple Remix).

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:20 pm
Electronic_Punk® wrote:
gcx wrote:
SirKicksalot wrote:

I think the main reasons why people think that it's IMD 2.0 is because Liam himself said that Omen and TMTTH are templates for what he's planning to write for their sixth album which turned out to be true with Nasty and GYFO. There's also the constant use of 8-bit on both albums (especially on Colors and Wild Frontier).

Yeah but that's like saying NT is Experience 7.0 because it has beats. :P

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:31 pm
User avatarPrivatePrivatePosts: 108Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:01 pm
NEOREV wrote:
The only Prodigy album that I can honestly say that I do not listen to in full is AONO, which is half amazing tracks and the rest skippable tracks. It loses steam around Medusa's Path. Any other Prodigy album, I can throw them on at any time and listen to them from to back, and have done so repeatedly, but with AONO I tend to lose interest during the last third of the album. It does start out strong, but is their weakest album for me.

Ditto! Same with me. The first half of the album is so perfect, but after Medusa the filler tracks are coming. It should have no more than 10 tracks. The way it is is so boring and way too long and absolutely doesn't fit to the album. The other track I don't like is Phoenix. Without these 2 tracks the album would be much more punchier to me. But I am a music nerd who never skip tracks (sadly), simply I can't do that.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:48 pm
User avatarLieutenantLieutenantPosts: 579Location: BulgariaJoined: Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:58 pm
jonyintheplace wrote:
TDIME would have been their best album if they had included Roadblox (Paula Temple Remix).

I hope this is a joke.

trigger/nuclear wrote:
NEOREV wrote:
The only Prodigy album that I can honestly say that I do not listen to in full is AONO, which is half amazing tracks and the rest skippable tracks. It loses steam around Medusa's Path. Any other Prodigy album, I can throw them on at any time and listen to them from to back, and have done so repeatedly, but with AONO I tend to lose interest during the last third of the album. It does start out strong, but is their weakest album for me.

Ditto! Same with me. The first half of the album is so perfect, but after Medusa the filler tracks are coming. It should have no more than 10 tracks. The way it is is so boring and way too long and absolutely doesn't fit to the album. The other track I don't like is Phoenix. Without these 2 tracks the album would be much more punchier to me. But I am a music nerd who never skip tracks (sadly), simply I can't do that.

So, you are counting Medusa's Path as a good track, but not The Way It Is? I think the latter is one of the better tracks on AONO, while MP is easily the worst Prodigy album track of all time. The strange thing is that I've only recently seen negative comments about TWII, while it was generally well received back in 2004, with some even rating it as the best AONO track. I always thought it is the 6th best AONO track, so I don't get either extreme view of it. Anyway, that was a bit off-topic, but it makes me wonder which NT tracks that are currently being praised will get some hate in a few years time.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:03 pm
User avatarPrivatePrivatePosts: 187Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:10 pm
The Way it is.... just feels like a loop that goes nowhere.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:24 pm
User avatarColonelColonelPosts: 826Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:51 pm
Rodigy wrote:
Spitfire is the only one I enjoy.
I listened to AONO recently most of it just sounds shit. The production is awful. It's like an amateur made it in their bedroom using broken speakers!

What are you talking about? AONO is not badly produced, but many tracks just doesn't sound like The Prodigy very much, but I actually like the tracks for what they are. Most people hate Phoenix, but it has a cool vibe, and sharp effects. Same goes for Medusas Path. It kinda has a dark creepy vibe, and for me, a better intermission track than Deathray or Omen reprise. Girls is a top production, and one of my favourite tracks by them. It's pure Prodigy. Though I wish Wake Up Call and Get Up Get Off had some danceable breakbeats... Liam overdid Shoot Down, and shoud have used The Gun instead.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:26 pm
User avatarColonelColonelPosts: 826Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:51 pm
skhelllter wrote:

Not the live remix of it though. It's amazing.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:42 pm
User avatarLieutenantLieutenantPosts: 579Location: BulgariaJoined: Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:58 pm
skhelllter wrote:

If you listen closely, there's actually a nice progression in it. In fact, that's the reason I prefer the album version over the live remix version, which is quite condensed and doesn't build up like the original.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:28 pm
ColonelColonelPosts: 853Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:31 pm
The way it is and action radar and omg hotride <3
Couple of great tracks

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:28 pm
GruntGruntPosts: 8Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:38 am
MFTJG. 10.
Is Perfect to my ears, the only fault could be it’s long as fuck.
The last three tracks are Liam at his best!

FOTL. 9.5
Serial has always been a skip track. Other than that it is perfect.

Experience. 9.
All great tracks if what one dimensional as a whole.

NT. 7.9
I place it above IMD because it has TIMEBOMB ZONE on it.
As a whole it reminds me more of fat and jilted because it’s eclectic and more creative.
Need some1 is meh and champions and fight fire are shite. The rest i really love.

IMD. 7.8
To be honest this is a good album. Don’t like invaders and run but the rest is good.
Thunder, Colours, worlds on fire, tmtth, wd, are great!

TDIME. 6.9
The ugly angry afterbirth of IMD.
It has a few good tracks but it all lacks vision and creativity.

AONO. 6
Broke my heart.
Best thing is the artwork There is not one track on that album that i truely love.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:15 am
User avatarCorporalCorporalPosts: 393Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:23 pm
Ok, here is my album review

NS1 - I hated this first time Ive heard it, now i love it. Little beast of a track - 8/10

Light up the sky - Vocal part could have been better, the rest is perfect. Love references to previous work. Banger. 9/10

We Live Forever - Oldschool rave, Kool Keith, 303, Maxim and Keith, modern production, all blended into instant classic. 10/10

No Tourists - One of the best tracks on the album. Cinematic sounds, hard, slower beats, Maxim is great on vocals. 10/10

Fight Fire with Fire - So much raw energy into this one. Love the vocals, intrumental is perfect. RATM like sample is great. 9/10

Timebomb Zone - I want Liam to continue writing track like this, dancefloor killer. Single material. 10/10

Champions of London - Not bad, but i just cant get into it. Sounds really forced. 6/10

Boom Boom Tap - That sample is awful, track is filler imo. 4/10

Resonate - I dont like vocals, but the rest is perfect. Proper Prodigy tune. 9/10

Give me a signal - Wow, this one just blew me away. Vocal part reminds me of Jonny on PIL tracks. Instant classic. They need to be brave, and release this as a single with wicked video. 10/10

Overall, this is the best produced album since TFOTL, it doesnt sound compressed as AONO or IMD, or overproduced as TDIME. Production is raw, Liam needs to continue mixing tracks on his own.