<  PRODIGY NEWS  ~  The Prodigy - No Tourists (The New Album) 2nd Nov 2018

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:43 pm
User avatarColonelColonelPosts: 825Location: EnglandJoined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:20 pm
trigger/nuclear wrote:
Can't believe how fuckin great is this album! It's nearly perfect from start to finish. This album feels like for me the banned AONO v1. Finally it's a real hard album not full of lightweight pop songs like Wild Frontier. And yeah, it's really like the proper follow up to FOTL.

WILD FRONTIER IS NOT A FUCKING POP SONG.

Sorry for shouting.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:23 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 1780Location: EnglandJoined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:06 pm
I haven't posted much on here since the album came out, but that's not through lack of interest, because believe me I love this album more and more with every listen. It's an incredible album which although packs a massive punch of energy from first listen, manages to grow deeper with further listens.

I feel that Liam's reached deeper into his untouchable zone when making this album, and he's created new Prodigy music which rubs shoulders with some of the 90's material. I'm not saying it's as good as the original three, but it's in the same vein more so than anything else since. It has so much energy and the dark rave sounds, nothing cheesy or poppy, no compromises. Yes, it's missing that journey track, but the undiluted energy is so powerful. The production is also excellent.

I enjoy every Prodigy album including the 00's onwards, but this has that special feeling, the next level. Anyone making excuses for old bands who can't make music with the energy or passion of their youth because they're millionaires now and aren't hungry only need look at The Prodigy and hold their heads in shame because Prodigy show that even in this position it can still be done, and I salute them for it.

A couple of other notes regarding the album, Champions of London is a real grower, and once you get used to the vocals and accept them as part of the track, well, it's just incredible really. Also, is anyone else reminded of the Funky Shit bass drums when they listen to Timebomb Zone? I mean that in a good way.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:04 am
User avatarGruntGruntPosts: 61Location: FranceJoined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:30 pm
@Fakin ill:

About Flint: Yes, but it has a strange effect, to my taste. It's cold. It's not like Prodigy's releasing 2 albums in a year.

About the sleeve: Yeah, I scanned and cleaned the sleeve for my mp3 version. I also modified the contrast a little, the scenery around is perfect, it looks like an underground garage plunged into darkness. It gives depth to the visual, a pity that the result on cardboard is so dark.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:19 am
ColonelColonelPosts: 853Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:31 pm
Crystal Fist wrote:
@Fakin ill:

About Flint: Yes, but it has a strange effect, to my taste. It's cold. It's not like Prodigy's releasing 2 albums in a year.

About the sleeve: Yeah, I scanned and cleaned the sleeve for my mp3 version. I also modified the contrast a little, the scenery around is perfect, it looks like an underground garage plunged into darkness. It gives depth to the visual, a pity that the result on cardboard is so dark.

flinty has been looking quite uninterested since the day. I think something snapped after he got excited since imd.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:23 pm
User avatarSergeantSergeantPosts: 489Location: JupiterJoined: Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:00 pm
Maybe he gets too little time for the album?

Well i gotta agree. This album had too little Keith/Maxim vocals.

It hurts especially after the full horror vocal track.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:00 pm
User avatarLieutenantLieutenantPosts: 579Location: BulgariaJoined: Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:58 pm
Antz wrote:
trigger/nuclear wrote:
Can't believe how fuckin great is this album! It's nearly perfect from start to finish. This album feels like for me the banned AONO v1. Finally it's a real hard album not full of lightweight pop songs like Wild Frontier. And yeah, it's really like the proper follow up to FOTL.

WILD FRONTIER IS NOT A FUCKING POP SONG.

Sorry for shouting.

I agree. It's also better than most of the tunes on the new album.

As for Keith saying "no thanks" it makes sense - "no tourists, no thanks". Seriously though, I doubt there is something deep behind this.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:06 am
GruntGruntPosts: 10Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:54 am
I'm utterly obsessed with Give Me a Signal. It's like sex to my ears.

Everything from the way Barns sings "emergency", the build up from 2:33, "give me a signal" repeating/echoing during the build up, then that 303 acid riff, it's just incredible.

I've read people say that hearing this live is pretty slim. I wonder why though, it's not exactly slow. I'd die a happy man hearing this live on a massive sound system.

A few gripes though:

At 1:22 there's a one second pause. It seems so out of place. It sounds as if it's an issue during production, but surely it's not.

Is it Keith who sings "cavalry" throughout the track too? I love it, but it's not clear enough to me. I only really hear the first half of the word.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:04 am
GruntGruntPosts: 34Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:46 pm
ok here's my review after one week of listeining

1. NS1 - don't understand why people moan about thise killer tune. Excellent opener, so dirty tune, 100% prodigy, i know that people expect next firestatrer as a new single. that's not the way things work. That kind of track as Firestatrer comes out once in a lilfetime...that makes it so special. I know thise days it's a bit boring 4 diehard fans. but hey Firestarter is a class of it's own. Anyway love NS1, 8/10

2. LUTS - what a killer. Made me have a gossip when i heard the teaser in september. Superb gitar, superb chours, excellent single. 9/10

3. WLF - 10/10, no comments. pure genius.

4. NT - fuckin' love it! That should open every show!!! 9/10

5. FFWF - good idea, so raw and heavy, what a dirty vocal, 8/10,

6. TZ - wow!! perfect mix of 1992 vibe with knock out beats! just listen 2 it on maximum volume while riding fast...10/10, that should be a highlight of every show

7. CHOL - what a grower..didn't exactly feel it when i first heard it, but now...man i just can't stop listen 2 it in my car. Got 2 listen 2 it really loud. What a drums, best ever, Keith vocal works it really well..definitly better than RWTW. 9/10

8. BBT - i take it as a joke, but really good, fuck U makes me smile, catchy track but as 4 thise LP standard only 6/10...

9. Resonate - love the breakdown, and then thise vocal in the background... very good track 8/10.

10. GMAS - best prodigy album closer since Claustrophobic... 100% Liam Howlett...superb vocal, a little like in Action Radar. and then thise absolute killer synth after breakdown...Fukin love it!!!

Overall. Genius LP. Big big thanks and respect 2 Howlett and cru....2 be honest i thought that TDIME was their last lp...and i wrote make one more master Howlett...but hey after thise one i gotta say i hope for more and more from the top dance group ever !

THEIR MUSIC AND ACHIVEMENTS WILL LIVE FOREVER !

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:08 am
User avatarPrivatePrivatePosts: 141Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:08 am
1. NS1 - I love it and the only thing what destroyed the one point is this stupid video 9/10

2. LUTS - Love it 9,5/10

3. WLF - Love itr 9/10

4. NT - best track 10/10

5. FFWF - heavy stuff - love it 9/10

6. TZ - worst track - mickey mouse is not working 4/10

7. CHOL - banger 9,5/10

8. BBT - 9/10 love it

9. Resonate - not growing 6/10

10. GMAS - best track next to NT 10/10

In total 9,5/10

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:11 am
PrivatePrivatePosts: 233Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:31 pm
splaTTs wrote:
I'm utterly obsessed with Give Me a Signal. It's like sex to my ears.

Everything from the way Barns sings "emergency", the build up from 2:33, "give me a signal" repeating/echoing during the build up, then that 303 acid riff, it's just incredible.

I've read people say that hearing this live is pretty slim. I wonder why though, it's not exactly slow. I'd die a happy man hearing this live on a massive sound system.

A few gripes though:

At 1:22 there's a one second pause. It seems so out of place. It sounds as if it's an issue during production, but surely it's not.

Is it Keith who sings "cavalry" throughout the track too? I love it, but it's not clear enough to me. I only really hear the first half of the word.

I'm pretty certain the actual singing part of GMAS that you refer to is Barnes Courtney. It's far too tuneful for Keith! I love it too though.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:34 am
User avatarColonelColonelPosts: 826Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:51 pm
nasty.rebel wrote:
1. NS1 - I love it and the only thing what destroyed the one point is this stupid video 9/10

2. LUTS - Love it 9,5/10

3. WLF - Love itr 9/10

4. NT - best track 10/10

7. CHOL - banger 9,5/10

8. BBT - 9/10 love it

In total 9,5/10

You give Need Some1 & Boom Boom Tap 9/10 & Timebomb Zone 4/10. I know we all have our different taste, but damn. Timebomb Zone is 10/10 for me, and Need Some1 3/10 & Boom Boom Tap is 1/10.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:47 pm
User avatarGruntGruntPosts: 96Location: Wisconsin, USAJoined: Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:51 pm
Full Disclosure - When I first listened to the album in full, I was not a fan; granted, I had a head-cold and could barely listen to it at full volume because of a throbbing headache, so there's that...

First off, after a number of listens, this record is fun, really fun, I've actually been listening to the latter half of the record more, probably because I've played the hell out of the songs that were released prior to the actual release of the album. I'd say, it stands alongside with Invaders as a return-to-form record. I don't know that I can say either album is better because they seem to hit all the same beats for me. I will say, I liked that the songs on IMD bled into each other like a DJ mix, I missed that aspect on this record; also, I was surprised that Keith seemed to take more of a backseat to Maxim vocally on No Tourists. I do enjoy Flint's punk attitude that he brings to the band and would've liked to see him peppered on the record a bit more--eh, stylistic choice, I guess, which is fine and works on the album regardless...okay, here we go...

Need Some1 - I understand Martin James' rationale during Danny Fanboy's interview when he said that the track was an odd first single, but it works with the rest of the record, and he's right, it does; still, even with its DJ Terminator-X-type Hip-Hop breaks foundation, I still stand by my initial conclusion that the song should not have been the album opener--not that it shouldn't be present on the album--but it is, for me, the weakest track on the record as a whole. 6.5/10

Light Up the Sky - A guitar-driven, breaks-ladened smasher that nails the gas-pedal to the floor, truly; and the Brother Culture vocal only adds to the tune's sheer sonic mayhem. My only gripe would be that it could stand to have been longer, I would have loved the Jilted-"Their Law"-sounding bridge without the downtempo breaks to kick the tune off, and that long synth outro from the tour announcement. 9/10

We Live Forever - I absolutely love this track, it's definitely a stand-out front-runner for me. The tune's insanely catchy and has old-school breaks and vibes slathered all over it. The sample from the Ultra-Magnetic MC's "Critical Beatdown"--the same tune that was sampled in "Out of Space"--just ties the track together with that unmistakably Experience-era B-Boy attitude! 10/10

No Tourists - I really dig the 007-vibe on this one with its whirling, atmospheric synths underpinned by the bass-driven, one-two-punch that sounds like the Rick Rubin smash-down beat akin to the Beastie Boys' classic "So What Cha Want". 9/10

Fight Fire with Fire - A daring departure from the formula of the last few albums--Liam's wobbling synths and punchy breaks combined with Ho99o9's brand of Horrorcore Hip-Hop thrash really give the tune a real set of teeth. That said, the song could've used a second verse rather than depend upon the chorus to fill time towards the end. 8/10

Timebomb Zone - This song is an absolute drum & bass 90s-rave callback banger, if there's one thing that I really appreciate about Liam is the fact that he can revamp a sterile-sounding R&B sample from the 80s and make it the driving force of the music--TBZ is an obvious nod to the Prodge fans of old and a tune that I hope is integrated in to the live show. 10/10

Champions of London - As strange as this might sound, this tune is a bit polarizing, as Maxim and Keith's shrill -sounding vocals don't necessarily hurt the song to the degree of being unlistenable, but they certainly don't elevate it either. The chipmunk-like sample of "Crank the rhythm like a champion does" coupled with the blistering beats and bombastic guitar-like synths really drives this tune home for me. I honestly don't think the track needed a vocal, as the sample--like the one in "Warrior's Dance"--could have stood on it's own as an instrumental with Maxim and/or Keith just ad-libbing for the elements the live show. That said, this is still a hard-hitting rager of a tune and it's certainly got a ton of staying power as far as Prodigy tunes go. I might be alone in this estimation, but I think "Champions" is what "Roadblox" should have ultimately become. 9/10

Boom Boom Tap - I have to say, I was looking forward to hearing the studio-version of this tune the most after hearing the live clip from Doncaster. I really enjoy the fast and frenzied jungle/dancehall elements of this track, it's fierce-sounding and well-paced. The skittering synth puts a big, stupid grin on my face every time I hear it--it just sounds so fresh to my ears--for me, it's a raucous party record through and through. The only issue I take with the song itself is the abrasive "Fuck you!" sample. I'm no puritan when it comes to language, but its inclusion just takes me out of the tune, for whatever reason, and seems forced and unnecessary where as the "Boom-Ba-Boom Tap" part could have very well carried the tune through its latter progressions. 8.5/10

Resonate - This song is a bass-heavy tooth-rattler with its bouncy crush-groove breakbeat and underscores Brother Culture's gritty reggae vocal, which is punctuated with the evil whine of synth stabs throughout--a true take-no-prisoners statement track if I've ever heard one. 10/10

Give Me a Signal - An apt closer with Keith sharing vocal duties with Barns Courtney against a wall of synth slashes akin to the bridge of New Order's "Confusion (Pump Panel Reconstruction Mix)" and upheld by a solid foundation of staunch breaks and arena-rock noise. 9/10

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:23 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 2916Location: italyJoined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:44 pm
Trawizz wrote:
nasty.rebel wrote:

2. LUTS - Love it 9,5/10

3. WLF - Love itr 9/10

4. NT - best track 10/10

7. CHOL - banger 9,5/10

8. BBT - 9/10 love it

In total 9,5/10

You give Need Some1 & Boom Boom Tap 9/10 & Timebomb Zone 4/10. I know we all have our different taste, but damn. Timebomb Zone is 10/10 for me, and Need Some1 3/10 & Boom Boom Tap is 1/10.

100% agree

www.myspace.com/thespyral
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:56 pm
User avatarPrivatePrivatePosts: 108Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:01 pm
1. NS1 7/10

2. LUTS 9/10

3. WLF 6/10 (in full sound system it stated to grown on me, but still too retro for me)

4. NT 10/10

5. FFWF 10/10

6. TZ 9/10 (stupid female vocal ruins a bit)

7. CHOL 7/10 (stupid chipmunk vocal, I hate it!!)

8. BBT 6/10 (could be a far better track with Keef and Maxim)

9. Resonate 7/10 (should include vocals from Maxim!)

10. GMAS 8/10 (it could be 10 for me if the acid wouldn't be there)

Overall it's the most perfect album since FOTL. Violent, hard, and quite serious record.

Last edited by trigger/nuclear on Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:41 pm
User avatarPrivatePrivatePosts: 187Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:10 pm
Liam isn't a fan of being overtly political...

but he sure doesn't mind working with very political acts.

Fight Fire with Fire is pretty much a pro-Antifa tune. :lol: (fine by me)

Offline Profile