<  PRODIGY NEWS  ~  Fight Fire with Fire (feat. Ho99o9) - 11/10/2018

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:56 am
ColonelColonelPosts: 996Joined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:15 pm
NEOREV wrote:
Ekko wrote:
NEOREV wrote:
<<usual random pic because otherwise no actual content>>

Enjoy the tunes!

Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't want to turn this into a boring music production thread for everyone else. I could repeat some techniques I learned from an online tutorial too! But, seriously, why waste everyone's time? That's just beginner's talk. Keep fiddling with your bass tones.

Personally I'd rather people were talking about the music production than the 'tune'
Isn't that more interesting to find out HOW that sound is made, what makes a good production. I know we all share love for the prodigy but come on we don't have to defend everything that liam does..

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:26 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 2415Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:33 pm
ParaDox wrote:
FFWF has grown on me much more than expected at first listen. Great choon. Really takes some getting used to.
Took about 60 plays.

Quote:
Remembering that time when Maxim used to sing the 'push up your hands if you love the fashion' sample wrong

And it's actually "Push up your hands if you lovin' my style, I wanna give it to my London posse". Listen to the original.
Maxim still sings it wrong, but hey, it's okay.

I agree. Only I think it's "Push up your WINE". He also say fill up your wine earlier during the jam. (Because its live jam, and people drinking)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:31 pm
User avatarGruntGruntPosts: 72Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:50 pm
This discussion about the bass in the track is ridiculous. There's plenty of bass in the song, it's just that it's under the kick at 38 Hz the whole track and so it basically has a healthy but narrow presence as opposed to, let's say, LUTS, where the bass is moving around the sub frequency spectrum between the kicks. Put your hand on a wall near the speakers when you're playing the track and you'll feel it. It's really low and it's massive.

Normally producers cut off frequencies from 40 Hz down for multiple reasons, Liam went lower.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:36 pm
Guest01 wrote:
ParaDox wrote:
FFWF has grown on me much more than expected at first listen. Great choon. Really takes some getting used to.
Took about 60 plays.

Quote:
Remembering that time when Maxim used to sing the 'push up your hands if you love the fashion' sample wrong

And it's actually "Push up your hands if you lovin' my style, I wanna give it to my London posse". Listen to the original.
Maxim still sings it wrong, but hey, it's okay.

I agree. Only I think it's "Push up your WINE". He also say fill up your wine earlier during the jam. (Because its live jam, and people drinking)

God damn, I think you're right! Out of all options it does sound like wine is the best fit. Really cool insight.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:05 pm
PrivatePrivatePosts: 224Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:57 pm
ParaDox wrote:
This discussion about the bass in the track is ridiculous. There's plenty of bass in the song, it's just that it's under the kick at 38 Hz the whole track and so it basically has a healthy but narrow presence as opposed to, let's say, LUTS, where the bass is moving around the sub frequency spectrum between the kicks. Put your hand on a wall near the speakers when you're playing the track and you'll feel it. It's really low and it's massive.

Normally producers cut off frequencies from 40 Hz down for multiple reasons, Liam went lower.

Find it a little odd you're having to go into physics and science to justify a song being good.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:18 pm
User avatarSergeantSergeantPosts: 413Location: Tenerife (fan since 95)Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:53 am
Progress Is Made wrote:
I know we all share love for the prodigy but come on we don't have to defend everything that liam does..

Some users seem to have a restricted and elitist competition among themselves to see who is Liam Howlett's number one fan.

I understand that The Prodigy has been/is still important in our lives but some people won't admit anything negative, they will call you moaner with gifs and sarcasm thinking they are winning some kind of dialectical fight. Thing is, some users like Ekko and me love The Prodigy but that doesn't mean that we cannot criticize many things regarding their career, specially when they were so incredibly innovative and ground breaking in the past.

An example could be the remixes thing...what the fuck are they thinking when they approve some remixes? Even in the AONO days and Their Law compilations they chose much better.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:21 pm
User avatarSergeantSergeantPosts: 413Location: Tenerife (fan since 95)Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:53 am
and I also can understand that if you run a Prodigy site and want to get special memorabilia, interviews, tickets or exclusives you jhave to be very careful if you want to say something negative. It's a difficult stance if you want to keep your position on the net.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:23 pm
User avatarLieutenantLieutenantPosts: 597Location: MontréalJoined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:58 am
ParaDox wrote:

Now that's what I call a clear(er) explanation.
Sums it up pretty well for me, case closed for me.
Thank you! :bow:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:25 pm
Danny_G13 wrote:
ParaDox wrote:

Find it a little odd you're having to go into physics and science to justify a song being good.

First of all, I don't care what you or anyone else thinks of this song. I have personally found it to be only partially satisfying when I first listened to it (and a mess because of the lethargic vocals) but now after over 100 plays I know it's a really strong tune (and lethargic vocals are a bitter punk culture pill). I'm confident this is one of the top (50) powerful released tracks by Liam and I will not skip it if it comes up on my shuffle playlist (thing I can't say about NS1, though it's an alright tune)

Second, saying Liam was lazy is just fucking ignorant. I'd agree with the guys that say we're trying to kiss Liam's ass even though he doesn't deserve it if that were true but it just isn't. This is a top game tune.

Third, physics and science of sound and audio is what makes up The Prodigy and anything else in the sonic sphere, and as I'm a live sound engineer and music producer I know what the fuck I'm talking about, and since other people in this thread opened up that subject and there was none with a clear explanation I came in to clear things up with some knowledge.

Fourth, guess what? That's precisely one of the reasons producers cut off frequencies from 40 Hz down (to avoid people thinking there's no bass), because sub 40 Hz frequencies are more felt rather than heard without a really good subwoofer and/or a trained ear; people usually search for the bass sound from 40 to 100 Hz because that's where sub frequencies are more in your face.

So yeah, Liam may be reprimanded for breaking the sub 40 Hz rule, but it really does sound good when you know what you're looking for and/or have a great subwoofer.
In his defense, because of the key he composed this in, he had to choose between really high bass (D#1) or really low bass (D#0), he went for really low. (Breathe has the really high bass in the breakdown (D#1), so you can understand the difference)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:56 pm
did you need 100 listens to like this song?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:03 pm
User avatarLieutenantLieutenantPosts: 597Location: MontréalJoined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:58 am
jonyintheplace wrote:
Some users seem to have a restricted and elitist competition among themselves to see who is Liam Howlett's number one fan.

I don't see any of that, I disagree with you. I've seen most (if not all) of the regulars criticize Howlett in one way or another.
If think it's you who really likes picking on people who like something you don't.

As for this place wanting to keep its standing among fan sites, I also disagree. This place is very lenient compared to other forums when it comes to tolerating trolls. Many would have been banned long ago for less. Lots of space is given to people's opinions, it's just that some don't accept petty attempts to ridicule their personal tastes.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:21 pm
jonyintheplace wrote:
did you need 100 listens to like this song?

Naw dude, only about 10 for that, to understand what the fuck is goin on in the track. But I do think prodge choons need proper exploration before a verdict is given, exploration with long pauses in between (overnight sleep, other songs, or just silence)
Which is why i don’t like NS1 so much, there’s not much to explore.

Over 100 listens because i enjoy it very much, which is a whole different story.

Later edit: By the way, if you'll scan this thread you'll see a lot of people say it's a grower and after listening to it more they realized it's value. Just listen to it more, you'll get it eventually.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:05 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 2415Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:33 pm
ParaDox wrote:
Guest01 wrote:

God damn, I think you're right! Out of all options it does sound like wine is the best fit. Really cool insight.

And by listenig this jam, you can hear god know how many future samples. From Prodigy i can hear this one we talking about, hypa hypa, hold it (i think Liam use it twice or more times), everybody in the place, fire... Right Here, Right Now from Fatboy Slim... and probably many others...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:17 pm
PrivatePrivatePosts: 104Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:17 pm
Ho99o9 Vlvocals sound like a dark version of beastie boys....especially 2nd verse. (Not comparing them just saying the style is similar in parts)

:chill:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:23 pm
Guest01 wrote:
ParaDox wrote:
Guest01 wrote:

And by listenig this jam, you can hear god know how many future samples. From Prodigy i can hear this one we talking about, hypa hypa, hold it (i think Liam use it twice or more times), everybody in the place, fire... Right Here, Right Now from Fatboy Slim... and probably many others...

Sure sounds like that, it's a goldmine

Jenko wrote:
Ho99o9 Vlvocals sound like a dark version of beastie boys....especially 2nd verse. (Not comparing them just saying the style is similar in parts)

:chill:

You're right, I understand what you mean. I guess Liam made his input on how they should spit in the mic :lol: