<  PRODIGY NEWS  ~  Fight Fire with Fire (feat. Ho99o9) - 11/10/2018

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:18 pm
User avatarLieutenantLieutenantPosts: 597Location: MontréalJoined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:58 am
Ekko wrote:
As much as I don't like Deadmau5 or most of his music[...] It's good engineering.

So that's the thing. I often read you say you don't like someone's music, but that it's technically good. You like to school people about technical knowledge because you know stuff, good for you.
But in the end, I get the feeling you're trying to convince us that we shouldn't like something because of (technical) reasons.
So... what's your point?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:33 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 1513Location: GreeceJoined: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:12 am
You guys are arguing about different things. "Acoustics" and "audibility".
You're also referring to different bands of the spectrum.

You will never agree.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:27 pm
ColonelColonelPosts: 996Joined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:15 pm
"Acoustics" and "audibility".

Bass you can feel, bass you can hear.

There is definitely a lack of bass in this tune that you can hear. If anyone disagrees with that, they're clearly deluding themselves :shock: :shock: :shock:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:38 pm
User avatarGruntGruntPosts: 20Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:05 am
Progress Is Made wrote:
"Acoustics" and "audibility".

Bass you can feel, bass you can hear.

There is definitely a lack of bass in this tune that you can hear. If anyone disagrees with that, they're clearly deluding themselves :shock: :shock: :shock:

Someone’s about to record a video of their sub woofer vibrating or they’re going to tell you that your speakers are shit.

Just a feeling...

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:14 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 3303Location: DoglandJoined: Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:49 pm
Plain_John wrote:
Wait a minute, are guys talking about bass?

:rofl: My sides

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:37 pm
User avatarProdigious ArabPosts: 4204Location: The Dark SideJoined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:22 pm

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:41 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 3820Location: USAJoined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:56 pm
Ekko wrote:

Nope. A "vibrating video" doesn't mean shit in terms of bass authority. It's a visual interpretation.

Again: This is about PERCEIVED bass. Which is the fun part of bass. While this track may technically go down low and loud here and there (I'm sure it does) it doesn't mean shit if people come telling you your track sounds weak in its supposed to be fierce and dirty sounding, filthy, filthy nether regions. Which is what happened here.

In case you missed this earlier point: Making a subby, subby sine wave is easy. It's 5 min of work if you know what you're doing. But if it's not layered right with audible information on top, it will feel just like that: A typical, flat sounding sub that's monodimensional. Looking good on spectrum analyzer? Sure! Will it light up a room with your Arduino? Yeah! Fun to listen to? Meh. Sounding phat and round and full? Not at all.

Easiest way is to just put the higher parts of a kick there, like Liam did here on FFWF, which is totally okay if there's supporting bass (aka a surrounding bassline or some sort of glorified 808 hit as in SMBU or whatsoever).
But there's nothing of that sort in this tune, leaving it feeling empty 'down there'...

Ekko wrote:

"Liam has no idea how to write music with bass in it" is overcooking my statement. He very likely doesn't know how to frequency-sculpt. As much as I don't like Deadmau5 or most of his music, this guy has figured out a very musical way of sculpting a homogenous frequency image. It just "sits". It's good engineering. I don't think Liam likes to spend time on properly sculpting a track. On various occasions he made it clear he's bored of the more technical stuff. Which is, of course, totally alright and understandable. It doesn't help the music, though, which feels like someone didn't want (or know how) to put in the last 20% of effort to make it as funky as possible.

And yes: The job of a mastering engineer is NOT to put bass in a track that doesn't do it right by itself. Mastering is refining and improving, not repairing. People these days tend to forget that and send in shoddily mixed shit as mp3s, because of ideas like "mastering will take care of it" (or "let's fix it in the mix", one stage earlier). Get it right while writing the tune and see how everyone after you improves your stuff even further until it becomes amazing.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:28 pm
User avatarColonelColonelPosts: 826Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:51 pm
N4STY wrote:
Trawizz wrote:
It's definitly a lot better than Need Some1, but I hear more Deadmau5 in this track, than The Prodigy. It is not bad, but I really don't know what to say to it yet. I will give it a go again tomorrow. I like LUTS better.

deadmau5? where? he's making progressive house mostly

Nowadays yeah, but he has done quite many genres through time. It reminds me mostly of the track Failbait he did with Cypress Hill.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:36 am
GeneralGeneralPosts: 1006Location: SlovakiaJoined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:18 pm

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:12 am
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 6512Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:44 am
Quote:
Hit rewind, time to melt your muthafuckin face, go

Hit rewind, time to melt your... go!

Horrible circle breaks, then worship the freaks
The dog is barking mad, has gone and run away with no leash
The heat is coming, stop running, leave your blood on the streets
We stick together, stormy weather, we don't fuck with police
Go!

You bet you can't hold me down

We fight fire with fire
We fight fire with fire
We fight fire with fire
We fight fire, we fight fire with fire
We fight fire, we fight
(Muthafuckin face)

Valiant troops, camouflage my soul if I cry
They don't give a shit whether you live or you die
Feel the heat and prepare for war
Raise your fist and reverse the war

We fight fire with fire
We fight fire with fire
We fight fire with fire
We fight fire, we fight
(Muthafuckin)

Hit rewind, time to melt your muthafuckin face
Hit rewind, time to melt your muthafuckin face
Go, go, go!

We fight fire with fire
We fight fire with fire
We fight fire with fire
We fight fire with fire

Last edited by Harbinger on Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:03 am
SergeantSergeantPosts: 478Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:38 am
NEOREV wrote:
<<usual random pic because otherwise no actual content>>

Enjoy the tunes!

Last edited by Ekko on Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:15 am
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 1304Location: RomâniaJoined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:58 am
If the track makes me nod my head then it's good, if it gives me goosebumps then it's great.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:44 am
SergeantSergeantPosts: 478Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:38 am
gcx wrote:
Ekko wrote:
As much as I don't like Deadmau5 or most of his music[...] It's good engineering.

So that's the thing. I often read you say you don't like someone's music, but that it's technically good. You like to school people about technical knowledge because you know stuff, good for you.
But in the end, I get the feeling you're trying to convince us that we shouldn't like something because of (technical) reasons.
So... what's your point?

The Point was: I noticed a whack feeling bass in this track and mentioned it. Whole point.
Clips of illumiroom-bass response appeared. Jack's eye tried to convince Jack's ear. Frequency basics got dropped. Things went a little murky. I called out some stuff and from there it went the way of the dodo.

Well, I said exactly two times I don't like someones music but admire the way they wrote, arranged or just made it: Deadmau5 and Noisia. I also mentioned artists I like for musical and technical reasons. There's plenty of music that's crappily produced but has character and I don't think many would prefer it the other way round. I sure wouldn't.
So not trying to convince anyone. I still find this track shoddily done in terms of low end. There's a sub kick and that's it, which in this case just doesn't cut it. If folks like this track: Good for you guys. Enjoy it. Stop trying to convince those who find it lacking that it isn't by resorting to dubious proof pieces.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:04 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 1718Location: Always outdrunk, Never outsoberJoined: Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:32 pm
I fucking love this song. It's got that vibe of the remixes that Liam was doing around 2009/2010.

This has made me the most excited so far.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:23 pm
User avatarModeratorModeratorPosts: 3357Location: The NetherlandsJoined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:58 am
Ekko is right from a technical point of view. And I still like the track. :wink: