<  PRODIGY NEWS  ~  Fight Fire with Fire (feat. Ho99o9) - 11/10/2018

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:53 pm
SergeantSergeantPosts: 478Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:38 am
ParaDox wrote:
So yeah, Liam may be reprimanded for breaking the sub 40 Hz rule, but it really does sound good when you know what you're looking for and/or have a great subwoofer.
In his defense, because of the key he composed this in, he had to choose between really high bass (D#1) or really low bass (D#0), he went for really low. (Breathe has the really high bass in the breakdown (D#1), so you can understand the difference)

This is kinda the point, and it's obviously a personal one: Putting in 'more' bass would have been very much possible. The track leaves space for more audible information in the low end, just layer stuff on top of the sub, cut around crossover. It's a question of frequency sculpting. You keep the Oomph for the belly and add more audible information for ear candy. The roll of below 40 doesn't necessarily contradict this, so it ain't a question of one or the other.

The key of the track is irrelevant for this. You can layer your sub harmonically regardless of it. Just don't overdo it and keep your low end even.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:20 pm
GeneralGeneralPosts: 1782Joined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 2:52 pm
Some tracks you love instantly. Some tracks take quite a few listens to get in to. Tracks you've grown to love you may well end up liking longer than the instant loved tracks. A new artist may write a track that would be a grower if only people would give it more than one listen. Established artists with a following can write "growers" in the knowledge that a lot of their fanbase will give a track a chance. That's a privilege they've earned over time.

Obviously you can't please all of the people all of the time. Some will never like a track and some won't give a track another listen if it doesn't grab them straight away.

I wasn't sure about 'Fight Fire With Fire' on my first listen. Took about 4 or 5 listens to get into it. I woke up a day or so later and the song was going in my head. It's a grower for me.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:04 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 1090Location: SerbiaJoined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:55 am
I have to agree with James Jupiter on this one. It is a grower while LUTS for example was instant hype for me. Now Im enjoying FFWF more than other tracks from NS.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:15 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 3820Location: USAJoined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:56 pm
gcx wrote:
jonyintheplace wrote:
Some users seem to have a restricted and elitist competition among themselves to see who is Liam Howlett's number one fan.

I don't see any of that, I disagree with you. I've seen most (if not all) of the regulars criticize Howlett in one way or another.
If think it's you who really likes picking on people who like something you don't.

As for this place wanting to keep its standing among fan sites, I also disagree. This place is very lenient compared to other forums when it comes to tolerating trolls. Many would have been banned long ago for less. Lots of space is given to people's opinions, it's just that some don't accept petty attempts to ridicule their personal tastes.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:19 pm
PrivatePrivatePosts: 224Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:57 pm
jonyintheplace wrote:
did you need 100 listens to like this song?

That's pretty much what I took from all this. Well, who am I to argue with someone who decides after a tonne of listens that a song is good. Each to their own and all that!

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:35 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 2949Location: woppity woppity woppityJoined: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:33 am
I think I'll be happier if/when an instrumental gets released. I'm just not a fan of Hoggog's vocals.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:33 pm
User avatarGruntGruntPosts: 72Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:50 pm
Ekko wrote:
ParaDox wrote:
So yeah, Liam may be reprimanded for breaking the sub 40 Hz rule, but it really does sound good when you know what you're looking for and/or have a great subwoofer.
In his defense, because of the key he composed this in, he had to choose between really high bass (D#1) or really low bass (D#0), he went for really low. (Breathe has the really high bass in the breakdown (D#1), so you can understand the difference)

This is kinda the point, and it's obviously a personal one: Putting in 'more' bass would have been very much possible. The track leaves space for more audible information in the low end, just layer stuff on top of the sub, cut around crossover. It's a question of frequency sculpting. You keep the Oomph for the belly and add more audible information for ear candy. The roll of below 40 doesn't necessarily contradict this, so it ain't a question of one or the other.

The key of the track is irrelevant for this.You can layer your sub harmonically regardless of it.Just don't overdo it and keep your low end even.

Putting more bass in it while preserving the structure of a lyric oriented track would not have been possible without compromising its point. It IS a question of one or the other. The key of the track IS relevant. You seem to know your way around production, so don't let me stop you from sculpting your way around that sub zone to make the track better. You HAVE to make the kicks and subline dance together ALONG with the vocals and synths. Show me. I'm convinced it's not possible to make it sound good without a compromise like this. A subline would mute the flow.

Having said that, I'd rather have bass closer to the gates of hell like the one Liam put in this one than go a few notes higher.
Ride in a car with a good subwoofer and play this song.

Danny_G13 wrote:
jonyintheplace wrote:
did you need 100 listens to like this song?

That's pretty much what I took from all this. Well, who am I to argue with someone who decides after a tonne of listens that a song is good. Each to their own and all that!

Nice cherrypicking you got goin on. Read my previous reply to joyintheplace's post.
It really just comes down to replay value.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:39 am
User avatarSergeantSergeantPosts: 412Location: PolandJoined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:47 pm
I like it more and more

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:11 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 6512Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:44 am
lakow wrote:
I like it more and more

Same. Liked it first time, now even more. Best track so far with the most going on.

Instrumental released? Yes.

This was the first one written. Would like to know what order the tracks were written after that.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:52 pm
User avatarPrivatePrivatePosts: 187Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:10 pm
this thread. :rofl:

Forget the oil, forget the water wars.

The Bass Wars turned the world into a mad max style wasteland...

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:22 pm
User avatarLieutenantLieutenantPosts: 597Location: MontréalJoined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:58 am
It wasn't even shredded for real!

Wait... wrong thread. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:02 am
User avatarPrivatePrivatePosts: 194Location: USAJoined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:50 pm
Biggest grower yet. Only wish is that the vocals were extended a bit. This IS hip hop- rap- whatever. The songs don’t evolve or keep growing, it’s a slab of beats and sounds. Liam’s use of that basic idea is spot on.

‘Mothafuckin’ bit gets me every time.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:18 pm
User avatarSergeantSergeantPosts: 489Location: JupiterJoined: Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:00 pm
So is the lyrics

EVERYONE! TIME TO MELT YOUR MOTHERF***ING FACE YO!

Or

HIT REWIND! SOUNDS THAT MELT YOUR MOTHERF***ING FACE, GO!

To me it sounds like "Everyone", but what do i know, its punk-rap.. or something.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:43 am
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 1343Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:27 pm
How on earth do you pronounce Ho99o9?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:52 am
User avatarCorporalCorporalPosts: 334Location: The NetherlandsJoined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:05 pm