<  PRODIGY NEWS  ~  We Live Forever - 25/10/2018

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:31 am
GruntGruntPosts: 34Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:46 pm
didn't coment 4 few years, but thise track deserves one. I mean what a pice of genius thise is. Makes me wanne just get out 2 the party and dance all night, just the way i first heard prodigy in 1992 with OOS. Genius. Take a while and listen 2 it on the 3rd day....masterpice.
And 4 those who dont like Keith and Maxim vocals...It just had 2 be a statement from the band. Just imagine our frontmans shouting it on the gig, with Liam fist up in the air!
I mean it's just amazing 4 me that that band goes on and on making albums. What a band those guys are. RESPECT

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:12 am
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 1967Location: UKJoined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:28 pm
i can hear maxim on this track but not sure which bit keith is singing anyone help ?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:22 am
User avatarPrivatePrivatePosts: 187Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:10 pm
Keith comes in towards the end. From the 2nd chorus onwards.

Still listening to this. :)
With the biggest smile on my face.

Dancefloor destroyer.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:10 am
User avatarSergeantSergeantPosts: 414Location: Tenerife (fan since 95)Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:53 am
Space Elf wrote:
n/a wrote:
Perhaps for people who experienced the rave era it might be different, but as someone who learnt about it later, I view it as a genre that has not been relevant for a quarter of a century. Don't get me wrong, I have respect for the roots of the band and I love a lot of the tunes from that era, but The Prodigy has always been about evolution for me, so unless this tune is a one-off, which would be totally fine and even cool, I'd be worried about Liam going backwards too much. The rave genre might have been great, but there is only so much that you can achieve within the boundaries of that genre, and Liam has achieved it all. Outgrowing rave unlocked Liam's creative potential and he went onto bigger and better things for the remainder of that decade. From what I read, I get the impression that most people would be really happy if the rest of the album is a rave nostalgia fest, while I'd rather hear Liam trying to break some new ground, or at least revisiting the Jilted and Fat eras.

I was around during the time rave was going on, but not really old enough to take part in going out to raves, etc, I don't think. As a kid some of us would listen to Carl Cox, jungle music, etc, and I loved it. I went through a phase of listening to full on hardcore rave too, but my first memory of the Prodigy is someone sat in a park with a ghetto blaster and putting Jilted on, I don't remember listening to Experience around that time for some reason although I probably did somehow.

So Jilted is my first real memory of The Prodigy and easily my fave album of theirs too, the one that I'd like to hear similar stuff to the most, so totally agreed on revisiting that era. I still think rave is awesome though and don't think it has to mean being stuck in the past or nostalgia if there's a focus on it. There's so many ways it can be mixed with recent instruments and effects to make a blend of what it was and something else newer, so I think it can work if done right.

mate, this style that you are talking about already exists since 2005ish and it's called Hardcore Breaks, producers from the UK the rest of Europe and other parts of the globe are doing it,most of it is a bit repetitive and generic but some outstanding tunes have been made, check this 92-inspired corker by Ben Venom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9oOD6tEcBM

some people are already doing what we want Liam to do :)

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:12 am
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 2917Location: italyJoined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:44 pm
[/quote]

nothing wrong with nuclear, something wrong with you[/quote]

Why should something be wrong with me? There's no connection in what you said.

Last edited by nucleartitan on Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

www.myspace.com/thespyral
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:13 am
GruntGruntPosts: 6Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:21 pm
A Short Music Lesson/Analysis of "We Live Forever", which may obnoxious, stating the obvious or interesting depending on your point of view

Structurally, "WLF" is similar to a rave tune, in that unlike modern genres, which tend to have one big drop (or sometimes two) and unlike techno or trance (remember trance?) which build a groove over time and has long build-ups, "WLF" has multiple peaks and troughs, in the hyperactive, e-infused manner of the early 1990s. Moreover, the synths sounds just scream "rave" at you, along with the sped-up Kool Keith vocal sample.

Other elements are not so rave-y. The main vocal hook would have sounded out of place on Experience, and there is a distinct lack of rave piano chords and string sounds. Everything is dark-sounding in the vein of Prodigy records from theMFTJG ear onwards.

I agree with whoever said that this sounds like rave might have done if it had developed along different lines and didn't split up into genres like jungle, etc. And it does not sound quite like the hardcore breaks/breakbeat genres of the mid-2000s either.

Musically, this is classic Liam, despite the fact that the main riff is lifted from a South Central jam. It could be argued that they use the "Liam scale" anyway and that he is copying them copying him. That aside, what he does with this riff is more sophisticated that what they do, because of the chords that are implied.

The main riff appears to be in the key of F, as it goes F F# A A# C C# E F - essentially playing all the notes in the octave of what is called the byzantine scale. This is a variation on the (middle) eastern sound Liam likes so much and that we hear in so many Prodigy tunes.

The drop is where it becomes interesting, and cooler than in the South Central example. Since the first note is F we are led to believe that the whole tune will be in the key of F, but when the beat drops and the bassline kicks in, we realise that it is actually in the key of A#m (I don't have perfect pitch, btw. I had to get play along to figure out exactly which notes are involved). This achieves an effect that is really moreish -- but it is by no means original.

Liam uses it very prominently in "One Love". In that tune, there is a keyboard riff whose root note is sort of ambiguous. Just before the drop, Liam introduces a deep, long bass note that seems to tell us what the root note is. But when the beat drops, it turns out that was a red herring and things fall into place in a different way than you expect, and very satisfyingly so. One Love does a similar thing with the rhythm as well. The keyboard riff when heard in isolation has no rhythmic anchor, because we don't know where the downbeat - the one - is. When the beat drops we find out, and that's another way in which the feel of the tune goes from uncertain to locked down in a way that is pleasing and gets the adrenaline pumping. "One Love" goes from tension to release in two ways simultaneously. "WLF" is not quite as clever, but it is still fucking awesome.

"WLF" is similar to "TMTTH" in many ways (rave sounds, bassline, breakbeats, pitched-up vocal sample, main riff used only in the breakdowns), but it doesn't try to shoehorn in elements from throughout the Prodigy's career, and is therefore more successful in my opinion. It also helps that there is no "Along came a spider" lyric, and no guitars.

I really do like this tune, but it's not exactly Bach or Radiohead and there is a danger that it might get old fairly quickly. So far that hasn't happened. I still really like it. In fact, I will go and listen to it again, now.

(EDIT: A# minor, not A#)

Last edited by MKLBST on Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:50 am
User avatarSergeantSergeantPosts: 414Location: Tenerife (fan since 95)Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:53 am
MKLBST wrote:
A Short Music Lesson/Analysis of "We Live Forever", which may obnoxious, stating the obvious or interesting depending on your point of view

Structurally, "WLF" is similar to a rave tune, in that unlike modern genres, which tend to have one big drop (or sometimes two) and unlike techno or trance (remember trance?) which build a groove over time and has long build-ups, "WLF" has multiple peaks and troughs, in the hyperactive, e-infused manner of the early 1990s. Moreover, the synths sounds just scream "rave" at you, along with the sped-up Kool Keith vocal sample.

Other elements are not so rave-y. The main vocal hook would have sounded out of place on Experience, and there is a distinct lack of rave piano chords and string sounds. Everything is dark-sounding in the vein of Prodigy records from theMFTJG ear onwards.

I agree with whoever said that this sounds like rave might have done if it had developed along different lines and didn't split up into genres like jungle, etc. And it does not sound quite like the hardcore breaks/breakbeat genres of the mid-2000s either.

Musically, this is classic Liam, despite the fact that the main riff is lifted from a South Central jam. It could be argued that they use the "Liam scale" anyway and that he is copying them copying him. That aside, what he does with this riff is more sophisticated that what they do, because of the chords that are implied.

The main riff appears to be in the key of F, as it goes F F# A A# C C# E F - essentially playing all the notes in the octave of what is called the byzantine scale. This is a variation on the (middle) eastern sound Liam likes so much and that we hear in so many Prodigy tunes.

The drop is where it becomes interesting, and cooler than in the South Central example. Since the first note is F we are led to believe that the whole tune will be in the key of F, but when the beat drops and the bassline kicks in, we realise that it is actually in the key of A# (I don't have perfect pitch, btw. I had to get play along to figure out exactly which notes are involved). This achieves an effect that is really moreish -- but it is by no means original.

Liam uses it very prominently in "One Love". In that tune, there is a keyboard riff whose root note is sort of ambiguous. Just before the drop, Liam introduces a deep, long bass note that seems to tell us what the root note is. But when the beat drops, it turns out that was a red herring and things fall into place in a different way than you expect, and very satisfyingly so. One Love does a similar thing with the rhythm as well. The keyboard riff when heard in isolation has no rhythmic anchor, because we don't know where the downbeat - the one - is. When the beat drops we find out, and that's another way in which the feel of the tune goes from uncertain to locked down in a way that is pleasing and gets the adrenaline pumping. "One Love" goes from tension to release in two ways simultaneously. "WLF" is not quite as clever, but it is still fucking awesome.

"WLF" is similar to "TMTTH" in many ways (rave sounds, bassline, breakbeats, pitched-up vocal sample, main riff used only in the breakdowns), but it doesn't try to shoehorn in elements from throughout the Prodigy's career, and is therefore more successful in my opinion. It also helps that there is no "Along came a spider" lyric, and no guitars.

I really do like this tune, but it's not exactly Bach or Radiohead and there is a danger that it might get old fairly quickly. So far that hasn't happened. I still really like it. In fact, I will go and listen to it again, now.

Excellent post. I agree with the Hardcore Breaks part and with the annoying vocals by Keith on TMTTH which ruin a track that could have been much better

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:27 pm
User avatarGruntGruntPosts: 61Location: FranceJoined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:30 pm
Thanks for the Ben Venom track, jonyintheplace. You made my day, mate.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:54 pm
PrivatePrivatePosts: 224Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:57 pm
jonyintheplace wrote:
Space Elf wrote:
n/a wrote:
Perhaps for people who experienced the rave era it might be different, but as someone who learnt about it later, I view it as a genre that has not been relevant for a quarter of a century. Don't get me wrong, I have respect for the roots of the band and I love a lot of the tunes from that era, but The Prodigy has always been about evolution for me, so unless this tune is a one-off, which would be totally fine and even cool, I'd be worried about Liam going backwards too much. The rave genre might have been great, but there is only so much that you can achieve within the boundaries of that genre, and Liam has achieved it all. Outgrowing rave unlocked Liam's creative potential and he went onto bigger and better things for the remainder of that decade. From what I read, I get the impression that most people would be really happy if the rest of the album is a rave nostalgia fest, while I'd rather hear Liam trying to break some new ground, or at least revisiting the Jilted and Fat eras.

I was around during the time rave was going on, but not really old enough to take part in going out to raves, etc, I don't think. As a kid some of us would listen to Carl Cox, jungle music, etc, and I loved it. I went through a phase of listening to full on hardcore rave too, but my first memory of the Prodigy is someone sat in a park with a ghetto blaster and putting Jilted on, I don't remember listening to Experience around that time for some reason although I probably did somehow.

So Jilted is my first real memory of The Prodigy and easily my fave album of theirs too, the one that I'd like to hear similar stuff to the most, so totally agreed on revisiting that era. I still think rave is awesome though and don't think it has to mean being stuck in the past or nostalgia if there's a focus on it. There's so many ways it can be mixed with recent instruments and effects to make a blend of what it was and something else newer, so I think it can work if done right.

mate, this style that you are talking about already exists since 2005ish and it's called Hardcore Breaks, producers from the UK the rest of Europe and other parts of the globe are doing it,most of it is a bit repetitive and generic but some outstanding tunes have been made, check this 92-inspired corker by Ben Venom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9oOD6tEcBM

some people are already doing what we want Liam to do :)

I don't want Liam to do this. This is a generic jungle beat Prodigy knock off without the soul. It's not rubbish but it doesn't do anything for me. WLF is a tonne better - although isn't it nice to be talking about old school Prodigy again! The real Prodigy.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:58 pm
PrivatePrivatePosts: 224Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:57 pm
WLF is the only track I've listened to since its release.

It's brilliant up till 1:45 then it just goes unbelievably good at 2:16.

Oh how I've missed this. Destroy put in a decent attempt at it on TDIME but pales compares to this.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:00 pm
User avatarSergeantSergeantPosts: 489Location: JupiterJoined: Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:00 pm
Out of space part 2.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:16 pm
User avatarCaptainCaptainPosts: 604Location: WI, USAJoined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:13 pm
Amazing throwback style track. Fitting vocal. I like how some of you really broke it down in description.
Such a shame that THIS could be the only 10/10 banger. From 6 of 10 tracks we've heard i fear that the final 4 can beat this one at all.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:34 pm
Crystal Fist wrote:

cheers, there are plenty of tunes like this out there but I should not post stuff like this in the news section. I'm a real sucker of the hardcore-rave sounds from 91-93

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:36 pm
ColonelColonelPosts: 996Joined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:15 pm
jonyintheplace wrote:
Crystal Fist wrote:

cheers, there are plenty of tunes like this out there but I should not post stuff like this in the news section. I'm a real sucker of the hardcore-rave sounds from 91-93

set up a new hardcore rave topic? could do with some upgraded rave tunes!

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:58 pm
Progress Is Made wrote:
jonyintheplace wrote:
Crystal Fist wrote:

set up a new hardcore rave topic? could do with some upgraded rave tunes!

done mate, check the Music section.

We Live Forever sounds more IMD than Experience imo, but it is better at recreating the rave sounds than TMTTH in which Keith spoils the tune. The perfect rave tune by The Prodigy is Your Love.

Offline Profile