<  PRODIGY NEWS  ~  Keith Flint - The Lollies

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:31 pm
PrivatePrivatePosts: 233Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:31 pm
Surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet.

Apparently a posthumously released Keith Solo track, on some kind of tribute album to a French bloke I never heard of. Was meant to be released earlier but was not included on first print due to obvious events.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZEmJ1PGo48

It's... interesting.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:41 pm
PrivatePrivatePosts: 233Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:31 pm
Perhaps not as recent as I thought, reference to it here from 2016:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2qG8DIQ3ao

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:14 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 3115Location: LithuaniaJoined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:18 pm
It's on spotify as well.

Never heard about it. Awesome.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:08 am
User avatarModeratorModeratorPosts: 4268Location: GreeceJoined: Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:06 am
Haven't heard it before either.

Thanks for the share!

RIP KEEF
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:41 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 2415Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:33 pm
I heard about it years and years ago. Mp3 was leaked online too. And I also saved some info of it. So, here it is: copy/paste...

"Keith Flint - Lollipops (Serge Gainsbourg - Les Sucettes) (Dimitri Tikovoi version)"

Monsieur Gainsbourg Revisited

Monsieur Gainsbourg Revisited is a tribute album to the works of late French singer/songwriter Serge Gainsbourg. First released on Virgin Records in 2006, it consists of English language cover versions of Gainsbourg songs, performed by a diverse array of contemporary artists. Gainsbourg's former wife, Jane Birkin, sang on one track.

Track listing

"A Song for Sorry Angel" - Franz Ferdinand & Jane Birkin
"I Love You (Me Either)" ("Je t'aime... moi non plus") - Cat Power & Karen Elson
"I Just Came to Tell You That I'm Going" ("Je suis venu te dire que je m'en vais") - Jarvis Cocker & Kid Loco
"Requiem for Anna" - Portishead
"Requiem for a Jerk" ("Requiem pour un con") - Faultline, Brian Molko & Françoise Hardy
"L'Hôtel" - Michael Stipe
"Au Revoir Emmanuelle" - Tricky
"Lola R. for Ever" - Marianne Faithfull & Sly and Robbie
"Boomerang 2005" - Gonzales, Feist & Dani
"Boy Toy" - Marc Almond and Trash Palace
"The Ballad of Melody Nelson" - Placebo
"Just a Man with a Job" - The Rakes
"I Call It Art" - The Kills
"Those Little Things" - Carla Bruni

American edition bonus tracks

"The Ballad of Bonnie and Clyde" - James Iha & Kazu Makino
"Angels Fall" - Nina Persson & Nathan Larson

-------

By the time of his death in 1991 Serge Gainsbourg was a French national institution, as beloved for his outrageous behaviour in public (often drunk, always in a haze of Gitane smoke) as for his music. Now his continuing influence on les anglo-saxons is marked by a new CD of his songs performed by his admirers - including Franz Ferdinand, Jarvis Cocker and Tricky.

The Gainsbourg estate's considerable royalties income, and the approval of Gainsbourg-related projects, are in the hands of the artist's four children, the products of the singer's three major relationships: Natacha and Paul Ginsburg, the children of his youthful sweetheart Elisabeth, whom he left at the first hint of show-business success; Charlotte, his daughter with Jane Birkin; and Lulu, the child of his last partner, Bambou. Unfortunately, they don't all see eye to eye, hence the problems with the new CD. "Natacha and Paul don't approve of the constant emphasis of their father's risqué Gainsbarre side," says Jean-Daniel Beauvallet. "They hated the new 'Je T'Aime' - they said Serge would never have approved a lesbian version." The day was eventually saved by scholarship: the discovery of an obscure Japanese cover version from the 70s, by two girl singers, in effect a Japanese lesbian 'Je T'Aime' (triple points) which Gainsbourg, Jane Birkin could affirm, had loved. Bingo.

The Natacha and Paul veto was not lifted, however, from another track. This was a version of "Les Sucettes" (The Lollipops), the song which naughty old Serge famously put in the demure teenage mouth of the debutante France Gall, and which was "revisited" by Keith Flint, of the Prodigy. A great track, apparently, with a wild string section playing the parts of all the instruments. So why was it shelved - the point about "Les Sucettes" was surely its lack of explicitness, the double entendre being in the ear of the listener? "Well, it was the licking noises that Keith put in," says Beauvallet. Flint's lascivious slurping, it appears, tipped the balance of probability too far away from the consumption of confectionery and the Ginsburg thumbs went down. Tant pis.

("Les Sucettes" ("Lollipops") is a French pop song written by Serge Gainsbourg and first recorded by France Gall in 1966. One of Gall's biggest hits, it was an unusually risqué song for its time, though in performing it she was unaware of the fact. Gainsbourg recorded his own version, with a psychedelic arrangement, on the 1969 album Jane Birkin/Serge Gainsbourg.)

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 1:09 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 2104Location: Berlin, GermanyJoined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:53 pm
WOW :shock: :shock:

Amazing find! Thanks for sharing ! :wink:

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 6:28 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 6512Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:44 am
Can't find it now but pretty sure there was some info posted on BK some years ago about Keef and Lollipops.

edit: found it somehow...
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8976

Unrelated

https://twitter.com/marcusbrig/status/1 ... 8017431557

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 4:39 pm
User avatarSergeantSergeantPosts: 454Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:56 pm
Reminds me of sid viscious’s version of my way

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:45 am
User avatarA.K.A. feelxPosts: 3056Location: Montréal, QCJoined: Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:32 pm
if you guys never heard of Serge Gainsbourg, that's unfortunate. but one really needs to understand a bit of French to appreciate his irreverence

he wrote the original song "Les Sucettes" to singer France Gall in her late teens... while she was still young and innocent and unaware of its meaning. Technically the lyrics are about a little girl, Annie, who enjoys lollipops and how they melt in her throat... but the other meaning one could understand is how she enjoys doing blowjobs in exchange for pennies... Mind you, we're talking about the 1960's, not a 2000's hip hop track by 50 Cent. See for yourself in the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-iysdFu_TQ

Gainsbourg also made a videoclip of a song of him and his teenage daughter, talking about father-daughter love, with them in their underwear, and the song title and chorust refering to "Incest"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vR0jpfOW94

and in another track he used the lyrics for France's national anthem (if, you didn't know, are quite bloody violent) and put them on some reggae music. which, I don't know why, was also controversial in France at the time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrAOw5i9UwM

among others