<  PRODIGY NEWS  ~  #2022we’recomin4ya/#2023anewwaveoffire

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 12:42 pm
CorporalCorporalPosts: 333Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:33 am
Hopefully this track is just being 'road-tested' in the same way others have been over the years
Really don't want that drum n bass sound to stick, it's not The Prodigy in any way shape or form

Offline Profile YIM
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 1:01 pm
User avatarGruntGruntPosts: 97Joined: Tue May 15, 2018 11:47 am
tonyjaa wrote:
Hopefully this track is just being 'road-tested' in the same way others have been over the years
Really don't want that drum n bass sound to stick, it's not The Prodigy in any way shape or form

To the point!
Even if the founders of the band have always fancied drum & bass it doesnt represent the Prodigy sound they = Liam has created and which is so recognizable. I also hope from the bottom of my heart that it wont be the direct ion they are heading now with force. All those previous D&B flavoured remixes is enough to deal with. With this being said Distrupt sounds quite demo like. Maybe and hopefully the studio version is more evolved.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 3:15 pm
User avatarProdigious ArabPosts: 4204Location: The Dark SideJoined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:22 pm
I totally agree with you guys. Disrupt is heavily recycled and lazy, it's the grandchild of the nightbreed remix that evolved into a bunch of songs. This whole obsession with dnb started with that remix and the pendulum voodoo remix.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 10:34 pm
PrivatePrivatePosts: 103Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:25 pm
I think it sounds great. Fast, aggressive, punchy. Sounds like there’s more to come with that tune but I think that’s the final version :bringit:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 1:04 am
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 2916Location: italyJoined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:44 pm
gunthrax wrote:
I think it sounds great. Fast, aggressive, punchy. Sounds like there’s more to come with that tune but I think that’s the final version :bringit:

I agree. It's true that they are recycling, but they have been doing since since Invaders (Hotride --> Colours , Take me To The Hospital --> GYFO, Spitfire ---> The Day Is My Enemy, Roadblox ---> Champions of London ---> Disrupt You Flow and many others), but for me it is a big step forward compared to Champions Of London.

www.myspace.com/thespyral
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 1:04 am
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 2916Location: italyJoined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:44 pm
nucleartitan wrote:
gunthrax wrote:

I agree. It's true that they are recycling, but they have been doing since since Invaders (Hotride --> Colours , Take me To The Hospital --> GYFO, Spitfire ---> The Day Is My Enemy, Roadblox ---> Champions of London ---> Disrupt You Flow and many others), but for me it is a big step forward compared with Champions Of London.

www.myspace.com/thespyral
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 6:26 am
User avatarModeratorModeratorPosts: 2660Location: Zagreb, CroatiaJoined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:15 am
It's possible that today's performance @Umag will be streaming live

https://www.youtube.com/@SeaStarFestival/streams

regarding the DYF, some cool and dark sounds are there that I like but I would like a different beat, maybe slower

cheers,
G

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 9:00 am
User avatarSergeantSergeantPosts: 413Location: Tenerife (fan since 95)Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:53 am
I like Drum & Bass but this type of tune is just punchy and fast as someone said before, The Prodigy was never a D&B act even in the 90's when the genre was at its peak (well, jungle and early drum and bass).

For example, Liam's own attempt at doing it was incredible original and sounds like nothing before or nothing I've heard since, I mean the "Jungle" mix of We Eat Rhythm...that was a jungle track that no jungle-drum & bass producers were doing at the time.

On the other hand, this Disrupt track is ok but it has the same beats and structure that we have seen so many times

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 9:37 am
GruntGruntPosts: 81Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:05 pm
gava wrote:

regarding the DYF, some cool and dark sounds are there that I like but I would like a different beat, maybe slower

cheers,
G

It would be proper cool if the performance was streamed but I think in previous years LH has asked them to black out their performance and only use highlights he’s chosen to be broadcast.

Be interesting to find out

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 12:31 pm
User avatarLieutenantLieutenantPosts: 573Location: GermanyJoined: Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:38 am
Seems like quite a big of negative response towards the new track. People over at the russian forum especially seem to be hating it.
I kinda agree with the general consensus that it seems like a lazy take, that was my very first and initial impression upon hearing it.
It did grow on me however. The dark intro is epic and while the beat itself sounds mediocore, it works really well imo once the synths kick in and Maxim chants over it. Makes for a snappy and punchy lil banger that definitely doesn't lack energy.. and I say that despite generally hating DnB beats, but here it kinda works within the whole context of the track. That being said, it certainly isn't anything that makes you go wow. It's pretty much the same basic formula Liam has been sticking to since post Invaders.

A thing I'm not too fond of is this whole habit of recycling old sounds that Liam started doing more frequently from TDIME onwards.
While I like the energy of disrupt ya flow, it never feels entirely new as you keep hearing familiar sounds and structures all over the place... that drumloop used repeatedly in different places sounds like its straight out of COL, the high pitched synth coming in at 1:24 is straight out of Fuel My Fire (and I'm sure I've heard it being used in other tracks aswell). Some other details seem oddly familiar aswell, pretty sure there could be other things re-used that I can't pinpoint right now. That's what makes it feel kinda lazy, in addition to sticking to the same concept we've had for years.

tonyjaa wrote:

If they would start road-testing tracks now to decide what goes on the album, then the album is very far away and in no place for a 2023 release. That would not coincide with the little bits of information and implications suggesting the album is pretty much done.

Lastu wrote:
With this being said Distrupt sounds quite demo like. Maybe and hopefully the studio version is more evolved.

When they first played Light Up the Sky live, it was just a 2 minute edit that basically consisted of the same part looped twice. The actual version was much more elaborate to the point where most people found the latter part of the track too chaotic.
Pretty sure Disrupt ya flow will have more to offer than this 2 minute preview we got to hear live, assuming it will actually end up on the album or in studio version.

baxterbasics wrote:
subtract wrote:
I mean at least he's not chilled out in production, sounds like in attack mode... sure the robot voice is from Brother Culture, using a lot of the same techniques/drops/structure but yeah guess if it aint broke

I was thinking I could hear studio vox from Maxim in the background but yes could also have been Brother Culture.

Do we have a setlist from Padova yet? I see there was a power cut :x

He means the robotic, Resonate-kind-of voice that does seem like it could be by Brother Culture.
The regular lyrics like "disrupt ya flow, break the rules" and "raise the roof" can be heard as studio vocals in the background and are more than likely by Maxim.

nucleartitan wrote:
gunthrax wrote:

I agree. It's true that they are recycling, but they have been doing since since Invaders (Hotride --> Colours , Take me To The Hospital --> GYFO, Spitfire ---> The Day Is My Enemy, Roadblox ---> Champions of London ---> Disrupt You Flow and many others), but for me it is a big step forward compared to Champions Of London.

Probably off-topic.. but I fail to see how anything is recycled in the tracks you mentioned other than TMTTH -> GYFO and COL -> Disrupt ya flow. Theres actual instances of Liam blatantly re-using and recycling exact sounds especially on the TDIME album, but I don't see it on the particular tracks you mentioned.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 4:05 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 1307Location: GreeceJoined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:32 pm
gava wrote:

cheers,
G

That would be so cool :)
It must be at 00:30 local time there as just noticed through the festival's website

https://www.seastarfestival.com/en/timeline

Fingers crossed!

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 6:00 pm
User avatarProdigious ArabPosts: 4204Location: The Dark SideJoined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:22 pm
@tox yeah man, that fuel my fire synth is the most recycled, it actually appears on :

Fuel my fire
Shoot down
Colours
AWOL (live beta)
The day is enemy
Disrupt ya flow

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 6:52 pm
GeneralGeneralPosts: 1782Joined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 2:52 pm
Liam has never produced a Prodigy track that would be classed as the Drum & Bass or Jungle genre. The closest Liam has ever got to that sound was the The Magi & Emanation 'Everybody Say Love (The Prodigy Re-Mix)'. 'We Eat Rhythm' is not Jungle. The 'Jungle' remix is not Jungle either.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 6:57 pm
User avatarPrivatePrivatePosts: 110Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:11 am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2ShiHMOkvE

The description of live stream only indicates music bands such as:
- Dzipsii
- Podočnjaci
- Krankšvester
- Indira Paganotto

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 7:44 pm
User avatarSergeantSergeantPosts: 413Location: Tenerife (fan since 95)Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:53 am
James Jupiter wrote:
Liam has never produced a Prodigy track that would be classed as the Drum & Bass or Jungle genre. The closest Liam has ever got to that sound was the The Magi & Emanation 'Everybody Say Love (The Prodigy Re-Mix)'. 'We Eat Rhythm' is not Jungle. The 'Jungle' remix is not Jungle either.

Well, We Eat Rhythm (VHS Mix if we prefer) is not really jungle but it has clear elements of it, more than any other Prodigy 90's track in my opinion. Obviously, SMBU DJ Hype Remix does not count because it was a remix (and a good one, no the in some cases shitty remixes that we have been having since 2009)

Offline Profile