<  PRODIGY NEWS  ~  'Choose Or Die,’ horror thriller with soundtrack by LH

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 3:16 pm
GeneralGeneralPosts: 1782Joined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 2:52 pm
When I search "choose or die" on Spotify it returns the "Top result" as "Liam Howlett". I presume that means the soundtrack will be available to listen to on the streaming websites. I guess they've already got it set up for Friday.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 5:44 am
Well the soundtrack hasn't arrived on the streaming services or digital music shop websites today. I'll watch the film later today.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:27 am
PrivatePrivatePosts: 118Location: Newcastle U.KJoined: Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:54 pm
Just watched, the film is ok.
The music is phenomenal. The track at the end credits is that good I shed a tear. Liam knows exactly how to score a movie. About 52 mins in there's a cool track that sounds like Hotride. The music is so good guys.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 12:52 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 3820Location: USAJoined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:56 pm
I enjoyed the movie. I mean, it wasn't groundbreaking, but enjoyable. Liam's score def helps elevates it.

I loves hearing Liam do something different. Lots of cool abstract, atmospheric sonics, almost industrial. It has some cool harder hitting bits. The 8 bit Hotride-esque car song is the closest to usual Prodigy stuff. I hope this score gets a release.

I would also love to see Liam bring the more tense and cinematic stuff into new Prodigy music. Less verse chorus verse, but building dark as fuck, hard hitting tense cinematic bangers.

Hopefully Liam gets more chances to score movies/series. Liam surprised me with his score and I love it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 2:15 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 6512Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:44 am
https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2022/04/15/c ... b296a6a2b6

Quote:
CREATING CHOOSE OR DIE’S EERIE SCORE
As well as the film’s toe-tapping 80s-inspired tunes, Choose or Die also features a haunting score that is the work of Liam Howlett, a member of the band The Prodigy, making his filming composing debut.

Director Toby Meakins spoke about Liam Howlett’s detailed approach to composing the score: “Liam creates everything from scratch, it’s organic, he doesn’t just pull a drone in from a plugin he actually makes it – records the sound, builds it layer by layer, his attention to detail is microscopic.

“We played them [tracks from the score] on set when we were shooting and then in post I lent heavily into Liam’s style, the darkness and tone. All the chest crushing power of his music became not just the score but also the soundscape of the film – It’s incredible and I think has an amazing texture.”

“Our approach to scoring each scene was very simple,” the director continued. “He’d ask ‘How do you want the audience to feel, what’s the emotion?’ and it’d make me break down the scene in really clear terms.”

“It was the first feature for both of us, and we were both really honest and open about what we knew and didn’t know. I feel like we helped each other through the process. It was a fantastic experience working with him, one of the big joys of making the film for me.”

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 6:45 pm
SergeantSergeantPosts: 472Location: SK/HUJoined: Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:13 pm
The movie reminds me of Tenet just in reverse or even sideways?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:07 pm
GruntGruntPosts: 15Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:13 pm
So no Netflix playlist then....I may watch the film

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:33 am
CorporalCorporalPosts: 333Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:33 am
Yeah that film was pants, the score really elevated it though

As others have said - the little car track had real potential - kinda reminded me of the demo track Charly Newar he did with Dirt Candy all those years ago

LH definitely has got the potential to do this on the side

Offline Profile YIM
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:52 am
GruntGruntPosts: 32Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:03 am
I thought the film was decent. Kept me on edge. Yeah sure some really 2D characters but I would definitely watch a sequel.
The soundtrack was ace and just left me wanting much more of it.
I was interested in the T-shirt Asa was wearing in his first scene. I swear it only had Keef and Liam on it, and had somehow omitted Maxim and Leeroy. Maybe it was just the angles they had shot from but there looked like there was nothing extra at the sides.

It does leave me hopeful that we’ll get a more balanced next album with some beautiful soundscapes and layers. Liam’s got so good at writing punchy short songs that he doesn’t seem to let tunes breathe and develop as much as he did, so hoping this experience will let him explore it more.
July can’t come quick enough…

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 7:14 am
He was wearing this T-Shirt: -
https://theprodigy.tmstor.es/product/58323

I think you couldn't see Maxim or Leeroy as he was wearing a shirt on top of the T-shirt.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 1:57 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 2415Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:33 pm
It was enormously hard and painfull to watch the movie till the end! Movie is just terrible!

There actually are only few minustes of Liam's music.

The "little car track" don't sound any good to me, nothing worth mentioning.

Opening credits theme is really great and have massive Prodigy vibe! Closing theme is similar and sounds fine too. They're actually the only positive bits of a whole project.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 2:26 pm
The film was like an episode of 'Black Mirror' but on a smaller budget (compared to the Channel 4 produced episodes, not Netflix).

I'd say there's around 20 minutes of Liam's music in the film. Maybe there are longer versions of some of the music which could go on a soundtrack if it's ever released.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:04 pm
User avatarSergeantSergeantPosts: 454Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:56 pm
terrible movie and a covid payday for Liam, shame. Guys got Bills to pay though cant blame him.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 8:16 am
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 2916Location: italyJoined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:44 pm
So, now the question is: is it possible to listen to Liam's tracks just by watching the movie or are there any other sources?

www.myspace.com/thespyral
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:07 am
nucleartitan wrote:
So, now the question is: is it possible to listen to Liam's tracks just by watching the movie or are there any other sources?

https://soundcloud.com/lanceriddler/choose-or-die-score

Offline Profile