<  PRODIGY NEWS  ~  Interview with Prodigy's sound man Jon Burton

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:01 am
User avatarColonelColonelPosts: 948Location: AmsterdamJoined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:12 pm
Not sure how useful for the folk here, but has some interesting stuff, and obviosuly lot of lies :D

Interview @ Arbiter.co.uk

Jon Burton - The Prodigy

Their Law, Their Kore...
The Prodigy has been the driving force of dance music for a long time, relying on cutting edge technology to keep them at the top of their game. It's no surprise then that they turned to NI KORE once they found out how it could work for them. Bryan Borcherds catches up with Prodigy sound man Jon Burton.

Liam Howlett takes a lot of gear with him on tour, it must be a nightmare to have it all set up on stage and ready to go!"

"That is the job of Alex Turner. His life is complicated by the fact that Liam prefers to stick with what he knows, which means that the core of his equipment hasn't changed since he started. He is still using the W30 he wrote his first tunes with. Unfortunately we already have the last of the replacement keys they had in stock in Japan, and he breaks one every two shows!"

"What is the stage setup? There's synths, samplers, mics, drums…"

"Liam's basic rig revolves around Apple Macs with which he manipulates samples live. He also has his old sample keyboards which he triggers manually. Alongside these are a collection of vintage and new keys, as well as effects units from Space Echos to digital multi effects.

Alongside this we have drummer Kieran Pepper who plays a purely acoustic kit, adding real drums to the tunes. Rob Holliday adds his characteristic edge to the sound with some rampant heavy metal guitar. The theatrics as ever, are provided by the two vocalists, Maxim and Keith."

"NI KORE isn't a one-trick-pony, it has many applications. How have you been using it with The Prodigy?"

"I have been using it mainly as a librarian, and as a midi controller. Its ability to quickly find sounds and presets is great live, but the way you can get it to act as a controller for plug-ins is great. I introduced NI KORE only comparatively recently to my live set up, and had already established a way of working so I am not using it to it's full potential. Having said that it has been out on lots of other gigs with me. At the moment it is my primary effects source with a new act I am working for, Mika."

"You have also been using some of NI KOMPLETE 4 in the live situation, what have you been using?"

"I am allowed a fairly free reign with The Prodigy, so get the chance to try a lot of new sounds. My most recent favourite has been VOKATOR (on Maxim's vocals). I am still getting to grips with SPEKTRAL DELAY but I am sure it will appear when least expected."

I suppose it means that you feel confident using a laptop with KORE in front of tens of thousands of people!"

"Because I am only using it for effects if it did fall over I could cover myself quite quickly. So far, however, it has all been very reliable, but I do stay well within my memory limits."

"The KORE controller is also a USB audio interface, do you use that or have you got a rig with ins and outs that you prefer to use?"

"I use the KORE as a stick in the bag go to gigs unit a lot, using the inbuilt interface. With The Prodigy touring so much my effects rack lives with the backline all year and is difficult to get to. This means that my 'A rig' - the interfaces - stay in the rack."

"You have also been working with number one star Mika, perhaps some NI products featuring there?"

"As I mentioned before, the KORE came to my first gig with Mika, mainly as an interface and controller. It is still doing this and more….."

"Lastly, what's news from the Prodigy camp, new album due, and sure to feature NI products?"

"Liam is in the studio writing. He has a KORE and is working his way through KOMPLETE. I know GUITAR RIG will be featured heavily, but probably not on guitars!"

Lot of obvious bullshit, I don't believe him a single fucking word about all the NI products, but still an interesting read? You tell me...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:28 am
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 1951Location: Athens, GreeceJoined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:43 am
It' s very interest stuff. Thanks a lot seal :D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:53 pm
User avatarPrivatePrivatePosts: 287Location: US of AJoined: Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:06 pm
SEAL wrote:
Lot of obvious bullshit, I don't believe him a single fucking word about all the NI products, but still an interesting read? You tell me...

So what's he lying about? I don't see any "obvious bullshit" at all.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:14 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 1007Location: Atomic WastelandJoined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:26 am
as a prodigy fan & rookie songwriter - this kind of interviews are really much appreciated
thanx

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:40 pm
User avatarColonelColonelPosts: 948Location: AmsterdamJoined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:12 pm
Deviant_Tech wrote:
So what's he lying about? I don't see any "obvious bullshit" at all.

I find it very inprobable that Liam would be using Guitar Rig distortion and Kore in the studio, cause he cares about how his tracks sound...the whole interview is a big Native Instruments promo. Same as with Reason before.

The Prodigy using Native Instruments software synths on the album? Riiiight...

Anyway I feel bad about doing tech talk here, this is not the place.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:16 pm
User avatarPrivatePrivatePosts: 287Location: US of AJoined: Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:06 pm
SEAL wrote:

Nope... you started it :D

Look, are these things mostly trying to pimp a brand name and such? Yes, of course... they're trying to promote a product. I mean, if some big name producer was even using even one single patch from your VST, wouldn't you? It's called capitalism.

Now, it's a fact Liam used sounds and patches from Reason and used it on AONO as more than just a "scratchpad" as some gear-neophytes would lead us to believe... just look at some studio photos and listen to Action Radar. It's also a fact he's moved on to the more powerful and innovative Ableton Live for live use and it would just make more sense to also write in that setup being that's he binned a lot of gear. Logically, he'd of course use a tighter kit like Kore and using VST's and such. Have you played around with NI's Massive yet? Giggidy giggidy giggidy!!! He's looking for fresh sound and fresh inspiration. Why's it so questionable that he'd be using software like Komplete or Guitar Rig to ooze some new sounds out of? Does this advertise NI alot? Yes... but what this guy is saying isn't outside the realm of possibility IMO.

Regardless, the bottom line is... we really have no idea. There is no CIA or MI12 surveillance system setup in his house? We can sit hear and argue all day about gear vs. software. But, it's not going to matter. Liam's going to use whatever he wants and probably not talk about it much (that whole computer geek thing) and we'll end up liking it either way.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:55 am
ModeratorModeratorPosts: 4509Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:37 am
Haha leave it to grand master elitist seal to come in with stuff like this. until someone has personally been in his studio(s) and went on tour with him i dont want to hear any arguements on what liam or his crew uses. this is not doa, keep the peace here please 8-)

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:22 am
:oldkiss:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:54 pm
LieutenantLieutenantPosts: 573Location: ScotlandJoined: Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:27 am
Deviant_Tech wrote:
SEAL wrote:

Nope... you started it :D

Look, are these things mostly trying to pimp a brand name and such? Yes, of course... they're trying to promote a product. I mean, if some big name producer was even using even one single patch from your VST, wouldn't you? It's called capitalism.

Now, it's a fact Liam used sounds and patches from Reason and used it on AONO as more than just a "scratchpad" as some gear-neophytes would lead us to believe... just look at some studio photos and listen to Action Radar. It's also a fact he's moved on to the more powerful and innovative Ableton Live for live use and it would just make more sense to also write in that setup being that's he binned a lot of gear. Logically, he'd of course use a tighter kit like Kore and using VST's and such. Have you played around with NI's Massive yet? Giggidy giggidy giggidy!!! He's looking for fresh sound and fresh inspiration. Why's it so questionable that he'd be using software like Komplete or Guitar Rig to ooze some new sounds out of? Does this advertise NI alot? Yes... but what this guy is saying isn't outside the realm of possibility IMO.

Regardless, the bottom line is... we really have no idea. There is no CIA or MI12 surveillance system setup in his house? We can sit hear and argue all day about gear vs. software. But, it's not going to matter. Liam's going to use whatever he wants and probably not talk about it much (that whole computer geek thing) and we'll end up liking it either way.

Good reply.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:15 am
The Oracle wrote:
Haha leave it to grand master elitist seal to come in with stuff like this. until someone has personally been in his studio(s) and went on tour with him i dont want to hear any arguements on what liam or his crew uses. this is not doa, keep the peace here please 8-)

DOA?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:22 pm
User avatarMajestic 13Posts: 2640Location: RussiaJoined: Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:52 pm
it's all phonogramm....and Liam is just fucking improvises......
anyway thanx for the interview

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:48 pm
ModeratorModeratorPosts: 4509Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:37 am
Deviant_Tech wrote:
The Oracle wrote:

DOA?

DogsOnAcid.com

It's a battlefield forum place for drum & bass producers big and small

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:25 am
GruntGruntPosts: 23Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:08 am
Kinda disappointing interview obviously more done to sell NI stuff, didn't get to find out what he has on the boards and what redundancy is in place when liams laptop crash's ...

im concerned about these W30 keys :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:19 am
catastrophic wrote:
im concerned about these W30 keys :shock:

Don't be :roll:

Offline Profile