<  PRODIGY NEWS  ~  The Day Is My Enemy Review Thread

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:23 pm
User avatarCorporalCorporalPosts: 302Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:36 am
cheggers wrote:
my review for what it's worth.

The Prodigy new album.. my mini review.. pardon the typos!

Today is my enemy 5/10

So even tho its not my thing, Its a tightly produced track.. I like the vocal and where its coming from but sadly for me the prodigy making slow quasi metal has no appeal, far too americanised for me to be interested with a really dull arrangement. Sonically it kicks but ideas wise it lacks.

Nasty 1/10

Maybe one of the weakest prodigy tracks in recent years, borrowing from “Omen” beats and trying to repeat the top 5 magic Omen brought them, it never reaches those kind heights. Never as catchy as omen hence its poor 98 position in the charts.. yes ladies and gents.. 98. Liam whats with the loops?

Rebel Radio 3/10

Wow..seriously.. The *break incase of emergency” stock pile of beats has been raided here.. oh great.. firestarter gets an outing now. He couldn’t even be arsed to do anything really different with the firestarter beats either.. nice one. Again a really uninspiring arrangement accompanied by a vocal that just doesn’t work with the groove. Loops loops and more loops.

Ibiza 1/10

This is officially Liam howletts “dad dance at a wedding” moment in music . Its spectacularly embarrassing. The instantly forgettable “sealford mods” vocal just seems to.. happen.. zero engagement with the track, the subject matter.. you guessed it folks.. IBIZA and how all these superstar DJs are just making stacks of money from plugging in USB sticks..Liam..my good man.. you’re doing exactly them same.. just re-hashing track after track.

On this album alone I’m hearing pretty big slices from Firestarter, Diesel power, Omen, Take me to the hospital and I’m sure if a listen closer ill be able to pick out more. You whinge about pre mixes in ibiza while you’re charging fans £64 for a deluxe version of your album.. Ibiza indeed, PS sleaford mods are gash. Totally forgettable.

Destroy 4/10

Certain elements are ok, but again.. the beat is way to weak and lacks any bite or definition. No punch and strangely sounds like a prodigy fan trying to make a prodigy record but without really
ever getting there. Arrangement also absolutely buries the track.. just uninteresting loops.. Sounds like it should have been on some early 00s made for TV matrix-esq nightclub scene.

Wild Frontier 2/10

Again this feels like a fan made track. Id have evener of believe you if you told me this was liam howlettt.. Also again.. borrowing from Oman. Vocals don’t work, The beat isn’t sitting.. it sounds like a mishmash of ideas from someone who’s either coked up or suffering with terrible ADHD. Remarkably With all the chaos thats been flung at you in spades.. It still manages to sound painfully dull.. Never really managing to generate any energy

Rok-Weiler. 2/10

Fuel my fire and serial thrilla was by far the prodigy worst moments of the 90s, to have them both revisited in the one track. You can barely hear the flint vocal on the track.. which is probably a good thing. Weak generic breakbeat and the re-occuring theme of the 15 track album so far is.. arrangement lets the track down.. its NEVER kicks in.

Beyond the Deathray 0/10

So you know in those great prodigy albums where theres always a crazy atmospheric section, think skylined, claustrophobic sting. Climbatize, weather experience well.. THIS ISNT THEM.
LAZY LAZY LAZY LAZY KEEP YOUR FINGER PRESSED ON A PRESET ARPEGIATED RIFF FOR
3 MINS. This track is absolutely crowbarred into the album, its thrown in for the sake of “oh shit we need to make this interesting and cinematic” .. absolutely doesn’t work.

Rhythm Bomb (feat. Flux Pavilion) 5/10

The Jomanda - Make My Body Rock sample stands out.. but the flux pavillion input.. was it necessary? again despite been hammered to the wall and drenched in crunchy distorted repetitive beats it never seems to truly get you in the gut.. no WOW moment
Im giving it a 5 because the sample is cool.

Roadblox 1/10

Awful.. just how has it got to this? theme park funderland music. I can even really have a go at the vocal as ALL prodigy vocals are daft..but maxim manages to sound so lifeless here..the music is just nondescript.. this could be anyone making breaking music. Again just a pile of loops thats somehow just knocked into a 5min track!

Get Your Fight On 2/10

Are those the “take me to the hospital” beats just straight lifted? Vocal seems jarring, again everything just seems to be swamped in distortion.. Someone would probably want to tell Liam Howlett that drowning your tunes with thermionic culture vulture doesn’t give you a “SOUND”. It seems like the more crunch and distortion thats added on these tracks the softer they get.

Medicine 3/10

This is really frustrating as i feel theres the nucleus of a really decent track here, the beat is at least defined and is allowed to breathe a little.. borrowing from diesel power and Schooly D.. It also uses a middle eastern riff that sounds similar to “medusas path” from their AONO album.

The vocal is unlistenable I’m afriad. For a start its out of tune and terribly jarring and as silly lyrics go.. this tests my patience.

Shame.. could have been a good track

Invisible Sun 3/10

Again howlett crowbarring some much need atmospherics into the LP and slowing things down. I don’t know if you're familiar with the famous Miami Vice scene where Phil Collins’s “in the air tonight” is playing.. if you don’t.. check it.. its kind of cool : https://vimeo.com/33935936

but back to my point.. think of that scene.. only with ron burgundy playing electric guitar.

Wall of Death 4/10

This track is just lost in distortion, making the beats very very tame accompanied by a flint vocal of “fuck and and fuck the cash” .. so you’ll be giving your half up to oxfam flinty? sound bloke.

Lack of progress on the arrangements and rehashed invaders must die sessions are all over this track..

Rise of the Eagles 1/10

Going for a sleezy new york punk thing here.. but fails.. let it go liam.. its just not you..

The weakest prodigy album to date, AONO had at least 3 great singles, Invaders Must Die had had two top 10 singles and i won’t even bother listening the 90s gems.

What ruins the album is the lack of ideas, 2 minute loops been made to play out over 5 minutes, no progression and surprisingly so un-catchy..Liam always had the ability for me to hit the sweet spot when it comes to making hard tracks sound incredibly catchy but their isn’t one stand out song on this.. Drowning things in distortion to the point where there’s a terrible lack of brightness, definition and clarity in the tracks really exhausts the ears and makes you wonder is he doing this to disguise just how uninteresting the tracks are? I thought this kind of thing peaked out with Ed Banger?

Respect your opinion but I'm fucking astounded. Especially at this...

Quote:
Beyond the Deathray 0/10

So you know in those great prodigy albums where theres always a crazy atmospheric section, think skylined, claustrophobic sting. Climbatize, weather experience well.. THIS ISNT THEM.
LAZY LAZY LAZY LAZY KEEP YOUR FINGER PRESSED ON A PRESET ARPEGIATED RIFF FOR
3 MINS. This track is absolutely crowbarred into the album, its thrown in for the sake of “oh shit we need to make this interesting and cinematic” .. absolutely doesn’t work.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:56 pm
PrivatePrivatePosts: 191Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:58 am
I'm surprised that someone with opinions that strong would rate Wall Of Death as the joint-third best track.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:40 am
User avatarPrivatePrivatePosts: 171Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:13 pm
Harbinger wrote:
http://glasswerk.co.uk/magazine/review/11015/The+Prodigy/

this one is pretty good, nailed what this album really is - ammo for liveshows

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:18 am
User avatarGruntGruntPosts: 11Location: a green placeJoined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:49 am
LifeIsAsLifeDoes wrote:
I'm surprised that someone with opinions that strong would rate Wall Of Death as the joint-third best track.

haha I love it!! you're certainly a glass half full type

I think theirs a bunch of tracks on the album that for
me with a bit more love and care could have
been a whole lot better. Their is tons of unnecessary
vocals as well where some of the tracks could
have been allowed breathe a little ..

just my opinion.

I get that its a live album.. unfortunately my speakers
can't replicate knebworth.

Last edited by cheggers on Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:21 am
User avatarColonelColonelPosts: 999Location: Brisbane, AustraliaJoined: Tue May 08, 2007 9:18 am
^--dude are we even listening to the same copy ? I hope you weren't listening to it on your phone

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:23 am
User avatarColonelColonelPosts: 825Location: EnglandJoined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:20 pm
cheggers wrote:

What a lovely poem. Don't worry about the typos, the love and warmth made up for it.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:34 am
User avatarLieutenantLieutenantPosts: 581Location: Philly, USAJoined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:36 am
https://rollingstoneaus.com/reviews/post/the-prodigy-the-day-is-my-enemy/1356
Rolling StoneAustralia review 2 out of 5 stars
Quote:
The Prodigy were once the most fearless act in rave, but on The Day Is My Enemy they sound like old men yelling at fast trains. Electronic music, the trio have been telling anyone who'll listen, has been infected by pop, and everyone in it is boring. They might have a point, but their new LP doesn't do anything to remedy the situation. Most of it is noisy and uninspired, while the best-realised moment, lead single "Nasty", could have been lifted off one of their classic albums. It hits ad nauseam when the Brits take aim at the overpaid DJs of the White Isle on "Ibiza" – given how loudly they're complaining, you'd want them to have something more to show.
Bullshit

Meanwhile in Russia Rolling Stone 4 out of 5 stars
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ru&u=http://www.rollingstone.ru/music/review/21581.html&prev=search
Quote:
This is about how to ride a jeep (with) vodka in the countryside - it is dangerous and generally stupid, but I want to repeat until death.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:54 am
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 1718Location: Always outdrunk, Never outsoberJoined: Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:32 pm
Quote:
They sound like old men yelling at fast trains.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:33 am
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 1304Location: RomâniaJoined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:58 am
cheggers wrote:
LifeIsAsLifeDoes wrote:

haha I love it!! you're certainly a glass half full type

I think theirs a bunch of tracks on the album that for
me with a bit more love and care could have
been a whole lot better. Their is tons of unnecessary
vocals as well where some of the tracks could
have been allowed breathe a little ..

just my opinion.

I get that its a live album.. unfortunately my speakers
can't replicate knebworth.

Respect for saying what's on your mind. The thing that I am most pissed regarding the album is the straight lifting of Omen sounds/elements and beats from other tracks. When I heard Colors for the first time I thought what a lazy bastard Liam is for taking Memphis Bells and having it sped up. But now listening to GYFO and reading that people love it because it's TMTTH p2 (and this is from people that were vocal about this album being IMD 2) it's fucking strange. If you want TMTTH then go listen to that track, not the new and "improved" one.

Regarding the other tracks such as Nasty, WoD, TDIME, Destroy, Rebel I think they are quite good. I am still listening to the album. So, no final judgement yet.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:45 pm
User avatarLieutenantLieutenantPosts: 579Location: BulgariaJoined: Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:58 pm
cheggers wrote:

April 1st is not until next week :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:15 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 1090Location: SerbiaJoined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:55 am

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:53 pm
GeneralGeneralPosts: 1006Location: SlovakiaJoined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:18 pm
Fukin spam

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:35 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 1004Location: SerbiaJoined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:46 pm
Loving the new album. Rocking it whole day, no love for the neighboors :rofl:

This is the best shit since FOTL, maybe even better.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:34 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 6522Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:44 am

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:12 pm
User avatarSergeantSergeantPosts: 489Location: JupiterJoined: Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:00 pm
My review pitches! Will use the x/5 score.

The Day: 5/5. Starts with military drums, the day chorus and then goes harder. Surprises you with 8-bit tune that chills the spine. Perfect way to start the album. Love everything about this!

Nasty: 3/5. Main problem i have with is the drum choice. And the added background sounds when Keiths vocals comes in should not have been there. Its annoying. Otherwise its a cool track, and i love "I aint no tourist" part.

Rebel Radio: 5/5. Love the Egypt(?) kind of tunes. Also the Firestarter kind of tunes. Also the "This album needs medicine" tune which comes in perfectly. Only problem is that the vocals are kind of weak. But i guess its because i have shity mp3 quality, idk.

Ibiza: 4/5. Lyrics makes no sense. Love Sleaford rapping while the tunes goes crazy. Only part is that its way too short for me.

Destroy: 5/5. This has to be the most oldschool tune of the album. Dear god what a fkn track.

Wild Frontier: 3/5. The first seconds of this track sounds exactly like Sega Genesis. I had hopes. Then the Colours-kind of tunes came up. My hopes died. The tunes are still catchy, so is the lyrics. I dont mind the reused Omen stuffs or the drums which seems to be inspired by Narayan. Some tunes just comes out of nowhere taking the score even more. Im talking about the Firestarter-kind of tunes shown in the preview. I asked where the FK they are and then they just came out of nowhere, and left me a bitter taste. Only really good parts of this track is the Sonic-Genesis tunes which COULD have been made into a track WHICH would blow my brains out of my head.

Rok-Weiler: 5/5. Rocky Prodigy track. What is the first thing that comes up? "Oh god no its Run/Fuel my Fire/Serial Thrilla.." I listened to it. And it blew my fucking mind away. I thought this would be a skip track for me but no, it is just PERFECT. What a fkn track. I love it, i fkn love it! The rocky electronic, the tunes, the breakdown, the beginning, everything is perfect except ONE thing, its too short for me.

Beyond the Deathray: 4/5. Track reminding me of Experience. I love it, but i have one MAJOR i mean MAJOR FKN problem with this track. Its too short. I expected a 8 minute Weather Experience track but it ended so fast. What the fk? Thats what makes me go down to 4/5. Even if its a killer track for me.

Rhythm Bomb: 3/5. Reminds me of MFTJG. The later beats could have started earlier..

Roadblox: 5/5. This track is surprisingly good. What a bomb to hear while taking a bike to your work. Lol.

Get Your Fight On: 4/5. Nice tunes and everything but the energy from the first live version is missing here. Couldnt it have been named Get Your Fight On (Take me to the hospital part 2)?

Medicine: 4/5. Crazy track, thats all. Better than i thought.

Invisible Sun: 4/5. Inspired by Narayan, ey Liam?

Wall of Death: 4/5. Wish it had alot more energy, weirdly enough. The lyrics are cool tho. I had better expectations hearing the live stuffs honestly, but still a good finisher.

Rise of the Eagles: 3/5. Good tune, lyrics are.. okayish. I dont like covers. Expected Eagle Break-kind of track, so i had higher expectations.

I give this album a.. 4/5.

If i would rate all albums it would be:

Experience: 3/5.
MFTJG: 4.5/5.
FOTL: 4/5
AONO: 2/5.
IMD: 3.5/5.
TDIME: 4/5.

I wonder what review score Sweden will give? They usually give alternative music styles a 0/5. They are even worse than Rolling Stone. I never listen to the BS fkn review crap score Sweden gives out.

You know Swedish people say: If its given a bad score in Sweden, its actually great. Its embarrassing..

I disagree 100% with what Cheggers says most of the times, but i actually agree with ONE thing about you now.

That you said that Liam is sampling so much of his own songs while blaming people for being lazy. :roll: