<  PRODIGY NEWS  ~  The Day Is My Enemy Review Thread

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:05 am
User avatarSergeantSergeantPosts: 489Location: JupiterJoined: Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:00 pm
Oh i mean if Bratislava gets mixed and done right, it got potentional. I found it catchy myself. And dont really hate on the scrapped tracks, Liam revived Heatwave and mixed it to Rebel Radio;)

And oh man Cabalist. Shots fired, this gonna be interesting.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:26 pm
User avatarPrivatePrivatePosts: 145Location: BLNJoined: Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:52 pm
I'm quite amazed how low reviews and ratings the album has on RYM http://rateyourmusic.com/artist/the_prodigy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:37 pm
SergeantSergeantPosts: 478Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:38 am
HSVV wrote:
I'm quite amazed how low reviews and ratings the album has on RYM http://rateyourmusic.com/artist/the_prodigy

Not so surprised, to be honest. It's a nice kinda punk record, but not really a good Prodigy record. A lot of people pick up on that and many expected a bit more in terms of dimensionality. I'm surprised though, that it's ranked even lower than AONO :shock:
Funny: Jilted and FOTL got the EXACT same rating (atm): 3.71

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:50 pm
ColonelColonelPosts: 853Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:31 pm
Ekko wrote:
HSVV wrote:

Not so surprised, to be honest. It's a nice kinda punk record, but not really a good Prodigy record. A lot of people pick up on that and many expected a bit more in terms of dimensionality. I'm surprised though, that it's ranked even lower than AONO :shock:
Funny: Jilted and FOTL got the EXACT same rating (atm): 3.71

Yeah but Aono has 3 excellent singles. Even though the rest of the album was weak

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:33 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 2753Location: Amsterdam, NetherlandsJoined: Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:00 pm
At least they did something different with AONO.

This latest album is the least innovative they've ever done.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:55 pm
SergeantSergeantPosts: 478Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:38 am
That is true. Didn't like AONO much, but it was much more imaginative.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:46 am
GruntGruntPosts: 25Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:37 pm
Fifer wrote:

True: they did try something different with AONO - it was the first time they (by 'they' I mean Liam) wrote a record where at least half the songs (in my opinion) were at best average/mediocre - one or two below. They've never actually been able to reproduce that spectacular feat.

As for the new album being the least innovative album they've ever written, I beg to differ (and draw your attention to IMD: a record that was unashamedly Liam pillaging his back catalogue of experience-era sounds to produce one of the most one-dimensional and retro-sounding records he has ever made).

Invisible Sun and Medicine represent significant departures to the usual sledge-hammer approach of Prodigy records and changed the pace of TDIME before WOD smashes the album to a close.

You got to feel for Liam: fans condemning him for abandoning his roots and the big beats - fans condemning him for not being 'innovative' - fans condemning him for his new style of production - there's always a hater lurking no matter what direction he takes. The guy can't win.

This album (TDIME) is my favourite Prodigy album: as a collection of tracks it is the most consistent and offers twists and turns in pace and sounds that I have't heard since the Narcotic Suite at the end of MFTJG. A previous poster made a good point about the 'fresh factor' playing a part in some people believing that this album is their best effort yet - that may be true. However, with IMD, I knew pretty quickly that that album was no great shakes: I just remember a feeling of vague disappointment every time I listened to that album. It was the sound of a band trying too hard - stuck in musical quicksand, nowhere to go but backwards (which delighted the old-school experience-era fans, no doubt) - creating a 'cartoon' album that actually made me appreciate the relatively serious-sounding AONO (despite the fact that 50% of that album represents some of the most forgettable Prodigy tracks ever made - for me, at least).

This new album works for me. Better than I anticipated - got a bit of everything really. Fits together nicely - The Prodigy have redeemed themselves to me with this new record. This album has a much more confident vibe about it - like it is comfortable in its own skin.

Canibalist? Haha! Yes, one of the most insightful reviews of TDIME I have ever read! Like a schoolchild in the yard stamping his feet and shouting 'I hate you - I hate you, hate you, hate you!!!!' But when you ask them why they hate you, they will only fold their arms and answer 'just! I just do! I hate you [blows raspberry and turns away]!' I used to laugh at kids like that. Over the top theatrics - and little or no substance to any of their puerile semantics and outbursts. Most likely just love the attention.

Yeah, we can all dislike an album (in relative terms) - or parts an album - but when somebody slates an ENTIRE album (forming a rediculously extreme opinion - not the considered, rational criticism you associate with people who have no axe to grind) out of hand with little or no justification (like the child who throws their dummy out of the cot) AND that person also dismisses the opinions of other people (who DO like that album) then you know for sure that you are walking on troll territory. No doubt.

Last edited by Quiggers on Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:54 am, edited 6 times in total.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:04 am
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 1113Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:05 am
Quiggers wrote:

You got to feel for Liam: fans condemning him for abandoning his roots and the big beats - fans condemning him for not being 'innovative' - fans condemning him for his new style of production - there's always a hater lurking no matter what direction he takes. The guy can't win.

totally agree with this.
TDIME is definitly at my top 2. Radio Rebel kicks ass everyday of the week

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:05 am
UN wrote:
Quiggers wrote:

+1

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:30 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 1356Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:26 pm
Quiggers wrote:
Canibalist? Haha! Yes, one of the most insightful reviews of TDIME I have ever read! Like a schoolchild in the yard stamping his feet and shouting 'I hate you - I hate you, hate you, hate you!!!!' But when you ask them why they hate you, they will only fold their arms and answer 'just! I just do! I hate you [blows raspberry and turns away]!' I used to laugh at kids like that. Over the top theatrics - and little or no substance to any of their puerile semantics and outbursts. Most likely just love the attention.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:05 pm
Isn't slating the whole album just as 'extreme' as saying this album is your favourite out of the brilliant albums they have released before?

Also, seems like you slate aono and imd just as much.

Quiggers wrote:
Fifer wrote:

True: they did try something different with AONO - it was the first time they (by 'they' I mean Liam) wrote a record where at least half the songs (in my opinion) were at best average/mediocre - one or two below. They've never actually been able to reproduce that spectacular feat.

As for the new album being the least innovative album they've ever written, I beg to differ (and draw your attention to IMD: a record that was unashamedly Liam pillaging his back catalogue of experience-era sounds to produce one of the most one-dimensional and retro-sounding records he has ever made).

Invisible Sun and Medicine represent significant departures to the usual sledge-hammer approach of Prodigy records and changed the pace of TDIME before WOD smashes the album to a close.

This album (TDIME) is my favourite Prodigy album: as a collection of tracks it is the most consistent and offers twists and turns in pace and sounds that I have't heard since the Narcotic Suite at the end of MFTJG. A previous poster made a good point about the 'fresh factor' playing a part in some people believing that this album is their best effort yet - that may be true. However, with IMD, I knew pretty quickly that that album was no great shakes: I just remember a feeling of vague disappointment every time I listened to that album. It was the sound of a band trying too hard - stuck in musical quicksand, nowhere to go but backwards (which delighted the old-school experience-era fans, no doubt) - creating a 'cartoon' album that actually made me appreciate the relatively serious-sounding AONO (despite the fact that 50% of that album represents some of the most forgettable Prodigy tracks ever made - for me, at least).

This new album works for me. Better than I anticipated - got a bit of everything really. Fits together nicely - The Prodigy have redeemed themselves to me with this new record. This album has a much more confident vibe about it - like it is comfortable in its own skin.

Yeah, we can all dislike an album (in relative terms) - or parts an album - but when somebody slates an ENTIRE album (forming a rediculously extreme opinion - not the considered, rational criticism you associate with people who have no axe to grind) out of hand with little or no justification (like the child who throws their dummy out of the cot) AND that person also dismisses the opinions of other people (who DO like that album) then you know for sure that you are walking on troll territory. No doubt.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:12 pm
User avatarColonelColonelPosts: 971Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:10 am
Quiggers wrote:
UN wrote:
Quiggers wrote:

+1

+1

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:08 pm
Jr wrote:
Isn't slating the whole album just as 'extreme' as saying this album is your favourite out of the brilliant albums they have released before?

Some valid points, fella.

Yes, I did say that TDIME is my favourite Prodigy album - but I did try and offer some justification as to why I feel that way about TDIME. My opinion is purely subjective though and I fully expect other people to disagree. It isn't a perfect album (by any means) but at this moment in time I prefer the new album than any other in their back catalogue. Choosing a favourite album (in my opinion) does not constitute an 'extreme' position. But there you go.

And yes, I did criticise IMD and AONO but I didn't slate them outright - I did say that it was only half the AONO album that didn't resonate with me. As for IMD: it was the tone of the album that I didn't really like. Liam refers to how that album was too 'up' - for me, it came across a little too cartoony but some of the tunes were actually quite good for what they were: energetic and direct. It's not a 'bad' album - but I was disappointed.

I don't think I slated AONO and IMD 'as much' as Canibalist has slated TDIME: to him, there are no redeeming factors for TDIME. It's just shit. Worse than mediocre. Abysmal, in fact. That, to me anyway, is extreme.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:24 pm
Quiggers wrote:
Jr wrote:

Some valid points, fella.

Yes, I did say that TDIME is my favourite Prodigy album - but I did try and offer some justification as to why I feel that way about TDIME. My opinion is purely subjective though and I fully expect other people to disagree. It isn't a perfect album (by any means) but at this moment in time I prefer the new album than any other in their back catalogue. Choosing a favourite album (in my opinion) does not constitute an 'extreme' position. But there you go.

And yes, I did criticise IMD and AONO but I didn't slate them outright - I did say that it was only half the AONO album that didn't resonate with me. As for IMD: it was the tone of the album that I didn't really like. Liam refers to how that album was too 'up' - for me, it came across a little too cartoony but some of the tunes were actually quite good for what they were: energetic and direct. It's not a 'bad' album - but I was disappointed.

I don't think I slated AONO and IMD 'as much' as Canibalist has slated TDIME: to him, there are no redeeming factors for TDIME. It's just shit. Worse than mediocre. Abysmal, in fact. That, to me anyway, is extreme.

Ah agree abysmall is over the top. Understand completely what you mean :)

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:29 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 1356Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:26 pm
Jr...Quigger...