<  PRODIGY NEWS  ~  NEW LIAM INTERVIEW (Dubai Music Fest, New Album)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:07 pm
User avatarProdigious ArabPosts: 4204Location: The Dark SideJoined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:22 pm
http://www.timeoutdubai.com/thisweek/detail.php?id=961

Prodigal return
By Andy Buchan, February 2007

Once the biggest band on the face of the earth, The Prodigy are back having survived solo albums, acrimonious departures and a 10-year album dry patch. Andy Buchan chats to band leader Liam Howlett ahead of their debut Dubai date to see where the band fit in today’s musical climate

It’s 1997 and The Prodigy – the most exciting, genre-clashing and parent-troubling band to emerge from Britain since the Sex Pistols – have just unleashed their most successful album to date. Fat Of The Land would chart at No1 in the US – unheard of for a predominantly electronic album – become the fastest selling UK album and ingratiate the band with the rock and dance community. Doting parents, however, were less than enamoured. Keith Flint – the band’s singer – caused uproar thanks to his appearance (think a piercing-riddled Chucky meets Jack Nicholson’s Joker), while the lyrics to ‘Smack My B**** Up’ were seen as obscenely misogynistic despite that band’s claims they are parodying gangsta rap.

Fast forward a decade, and the band have seemingly been overtaken by the still flourishing punk-funk scene. During that time, their lanky dancer Leeroy has been unceremoniously dumped from the band and the now-three piece effectively disbanded – discounting the utterly forgettable 2002 single ‘Baby’s Got A Temper’. Liam, meanwhile, became more of a family starter than a firestarter, having a kid called Ace (!) with All Saint Natalie Appleton and double dating with her sister and her partner – the one, the only Liam Gallagher. With music still the driving force in his life, Liam embarked on a solo album in all but name (aided by Juliette Lewis and the other Liam), the electro-edged Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned which garnered lukewarm reviews. With their leader no longer requiring their services on the album, Maxim Reality became a rapper while Keith Flint became a moto-X rider for Ducati and briefly fronted an eponymous band. Remember them? Thought not.

Now, the band are back together and eager to define another generation. Their typically turbo-charged Best Of: Their Law – has served to whet appetites around the world, but what will today’s rave-nu world make of their new material?

‘In our heads, we’re in the best band we could be in,’ says Liam confidently in his spitfire, Essex-wideboy accent. ‘We’ve got a lot of respect for all the new bands that have come out and done their thing but if they try to take the crown off us, we’ll be there to rip it off them, mate. If I don’t write the killer tunes, then the band won’t be here, it’s as simple as that.’

As such, the band’s new album is slowly gestating in Liam’s head. Again, it’s a solo writing process but Liam is quick to insist that it’s not merely ‘Always Outnumbered MK II’.

‘I’ve got no want to do another solo album,’ he says from his studio in his Essex country manor. ‘The aim with the band is to write music and then go onstage together and do the damage together – it’s no fun doing it on your own, doyouknowarramean? Without the live side of things, it gets pretty boring.’ And that is the last thing The Prodigy should ever be.

A riotous blend of breakbeat, scuzz-heavy electro and of course full-on rock swagger, the band’s live sets are spectacles that have been witnessed the world over. It’s also, Liam claims, the reason why fans have had to wait so long for new material. ‘We are so slow, I know man…the last album took aaaaggggeeessss,’ he says. ‘I’m not making excuses but we go out and play live a lot more than other bands – for Fat Of The Land we were on the road for three years solid’. But it’s an unusual place that the band finds themselves on the Desert Rock bill for their debut Dubai performance.

‘It’s definitely a bizarre scenario warming up for Iron Maiden, and certainly one that we never thought we’d be in,’ says Liam with genuine surprise in his voice. ‘We haven’t played live for about three months now as well so we’re dying to get back on the road again. We’re stupidly excited about it. The way we look at it is that they’ve got to follow us so they need to raise their game. They’re gonna have pyrotechnics going off and we’ll have a couple of strobes and maybe a smoke cannon so we’ll have to play them off the park’.

However any fans looking for new material are likely to be disappointed. Liam’s reluctance to play new songs for fear they’ll be ripped to the internet where unfinished symphonies will be passed off as gospel truth has faded over time. But with only four of the 20 tracks they’re currently working on earmarked for the new album, they’re unlikely to get an airing. ‘We’re less scared about our music appearing on the internet now but we’re still unlikely to play much new stuff,’ says Liam. ‘We haven’t been to Dubai before so I’d say the majority of our set will be old stuff – we’ll probably drop one new song. But we’ve re-written a lot of my solo tracks to make them into Prodigy tracks to include Keith and Maxim. We’re also going to keep the older stuff fresh as we’ve been playing ‘Firestarter’ for yeeeaarrrsss now, man.’

Despite all the rock star bluster, however, there’s a nagging suspicion that The Prodigy – and, more importantly, the band’s creative force, Liam – have lost the drive that made them such a phenomenon in the 90s. Back then, the band would play 48 hour raves, they’d record seemingly endless mixtapes rammed full of new material and, crucially, they united indie and dance in a sweaty endorphin rush. As our strict time limit with Liam ticks to an end, we wonder if Liam has been enjoying the celebrity lifestyle a little too much and whether the Prodigy can still be a pivotal band?

‘Our new album is rocking,’ he says, almost hurling the words down the phone. ‘As long as it’s got that Prodigy sound and production and as long as it’s us. It’s all about the music. I’m f****** well hungry for it. I’ve been enjoying the good life since 1996 when we did ‘Firestarter’. We’re on it, we love it – it’s what we do.’

--------

GUTTED, THEY WONT PLAY ENW TRACKS AT DESERT ROCK. NOOOOOOOOO.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:19 pm
User avatarModeratorModeratorPosts: 4789Location: Wolverhampton, UKJoined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:52 pm
Quote:
It’s all about the music. I’m f****** well hungry for it. I’ve been enjoying the good life since 1996 when we did ‘Firestarter’. We’re on it, we love it – it’s what we do.’

I have this image of Liam saying that, slamming down the fone and shouting for some champaigne from a butler :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:08 am
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 1007Location: Atomic WastelandJoined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:26 am
don't you think liam become quite arrogant? :twisted:
can he be more confident? 8-)

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:46 am
ModeratorModeratorPosts: 4509Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:37 am
You have to be confident when people lose faith in you. All the breaks and silence and blusters over nearly 10 years has led alot of people excited for their next release, as well as alot of people hoping Liam doesn't fuck this one up. It'll be interesting, I'm patiently waiting to see what he has in store for us all next.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:32 am
That's a very well written article. The writer did a good job and was fair about their status and knew a lot about them.

Yeah Liam always acts cocky in mainstream interviews. Just part of the bands persona. He needs to fuckin play new shit though. Let's be honest, the reason he ain't gonna play much new stuff is b/c there isn't much new stuff. If he is gonna just play old stuff though he can at least mix it up a bit. The set they've been playing for the last year has been boring. At the very least he should drop some new versions of the old tunes.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:41 am
ModeratorModeratorPosts: 4509Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:37 am
Yea that's what I'm saying Tim. He really needs to step it up a notch. I love them as much as the next person but they are really in a rut that nobody wants to admit. I think part of that buzz they used to have was the constant barrage of music that they built up from the start of their career through to the fat of the land. now we're 10 years later with random patches of gigs now and again with whispers of hot new material on the way and we as fans eat out of his hand because whether or not it's going to be hot in our eyes, we want to believe and want that buzz again.. or atleast that's how i see it :lol:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:45 am
Hot ChickHot ChickPosts: 952Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:28 am
hahahaha didnt i tell you that the set list will be the same??

Shadowcat - 1
BK Crew - 0

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:52 am
It`s a nice interview, Thanks.
It doesn`t sound as though the album is anywhere near finished yet which I also think is a good thing, AONO pt 2 would be a terrible move.
A couple of new tracks played and some re-jiggled older solo tracks sounds like a pretty cool setlist to me.
(Mind you, he better hurry up and get the cash rolling in as All Saints have just been dropped by their label) :P

Last edited by Kev on Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:08 am
User avatarModeratorModeratorPosts: 3357Location: The NetherlandsJoined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:58 am
Good interview.
Thank you for posting!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:02 am
User avatarCorporalCorporalPosts: 376Location: BelgiumJoined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:59 pm
playing before Iron Maiden, not an easy crowd that's gonna be!
Don't think Liam has found a significant direction yet for the new album as I read this interview.
New album still seems far away which is a good thing to me if Liam uses that time to absorp new influences.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:20 am
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 2082Location: AlaskaJoined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:23 pm
Liam knows whats up. I respect his B-Boy swagger....he knows he's the king of the beats.

Really curious to hear what the new direction will be.....have those rumors about Liam co-producing the next album w/ Pendulum been confirmed?

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:26 pm
User avatarPrivatePrivatePosts: 150Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:40 pm
i think liam said in an interview they stopped touring because there werent any new matterial and that they wont come back unless there will be new stuff to refresh the setlist- now whats the point of this show?? :?

thx 4 the interview!!

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:18 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 2534Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:54 pm
Dims wrote:
Really curious to hear what the new direction will be.....have those rumors about Liam co-producing the next album w/ Pendulum been confirmed?

I hope no!!! Actually I'm sure - he'd never co-produce an album with anyone.Which is great btw.

I don't mind Pendulum but my personal opinion is that they're a bit boring. Not interesting and fresh for me.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:56 pm
User avatarColonelColonelPosts: 812Location: Illinois, USAJoined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:22 pm
I think the problem is that everytime we get anxious over a new song or sound, liam tends to have a change of heart, scrap it and promise us newer, fresher stuff on the horizon. We have to all keep in mind that over the last ten years, we have had one new album, the greatest hits and two additional songs (Warning, Wake the Fuck Up). This much space doesn't bode well for any artist. I know Stone Roses did it but after that long awaited follow-up, they were all but finished. People bring up Massive, but that is SO rare.

I guess the point to my ramble is that Liam just needs to stick to something and drop it on us. Quit dicking around forever and roll with it. Off the top of my head, in the last ten years, I've been pumped about all of the following, only to hear that they are being scrapped: Trigger, Nuclear, No Souveniers, Heatwave, Warning, Dead Ken, etc. Gettin' old, that's all. I got faith, but to liam: perfection is impossible, that's what makes us human.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:35 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 2744Location: ItalyJoined: Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:58 pm
hey, I have updated the main page !

:happydance: