<  PRODIGY LIVE  ~  The prodigy live 2022 UK dates

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:09 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 3115Location: LithuaniaJoined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:18 pm
They dropped a little backstage routine and playing OMEN video on FB

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=436504388381182

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 7:00 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 6514Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:44 am
Quote:
An air raid siren sounds and bass starts hammering through the subwoofers with convulsive power. The Prodigy arrive on stage and vocalist Maxim clambers atop a speaker stack where he stands statuesque, bathed in strobes. The opening riff of Breathe begins as live guitarist Rob Holliday, in sleeveless leather, starts slinging his instrument around like an out-of-control chainsaw. Pandemonium is instant.

This run of shows is the band’s first since the death of their vocalist and dancer Keith Flint in 2019, a man whose devil-horned hair became a more recognisable emblem for The Prodigy than their actual ant logo. Such was his stage presence that in the aftermath of his death some wondered whether the band could continue without him – but the showmanship is so powerful here that the audience are clearly not worried.

During Firestarter an outline of Flint (instantly recognisable thanks to the horns) is beamed on to centre stage with lasers, and it dances along with jerky intensity. “He’s still fucking here!” repeats Maxim afterwards, movingly. There is also an impromptu moment when Liam Howlett takes a flag featuring Flint’s silhouette from the audience and holds it aloft as they return for their encore. These are the only nods to their late bandmate but their performance feels like a tribute in itself.

The breadth of bangers at the band’s disposal certainly helps, and they perform them magnificently. Smack My Bitch Up is amped up to unhinged proportions as drummer Leo Crabtree furiously lets loose, and newer tracks such as 2018’s We Live Forever (whose refrain takes on unavoidable new significance without Flint) are delivered with similar energy. By the time they close with the Chase the Devil-sampling Out of Space, dizzy grins adorn the faces of an audience left absolutely spent.

Maxim has always been a magnetic frontman in his own right and remains so tonight, spry on his feet like a sparring boxer as he bounds around the stage. The minute the energy starts to sag in any section of the crowd, he points it out and demands they raise it. There’s an urgency to the Prodigy’s playing that seems to come from somewhere deeper than before: the euphoria and release they provide is overwhelming, and compounded by the enduring presence of a man whose career was spent embodying those qualities.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2022/ ... -liverpool

Last edited by Harbinger on Sun Jul 17, 2022 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 9:01 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 2415Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:33 pm
untitled6 wrote:
They dropped a little backstage routine and playing OMEN video on FB

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=436504388381182

Omen... worst piece of Prodigy music ever! To me it still sounds like Boy Band song... Fuckin hating it! :vomit:

(Noisia Remix and Reprise are awesome, tho)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 9:09 am
CorporalCorporalPosts: 333Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:33 am
What's the significance of Liam's shirt?

Offline Profile YIM
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 11:44 am
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 1307Location: GreeceJoined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:32 pm
more pics from Liverpool gig

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 12:17 pm
User avatarModeratorModeratorPosts: 2660Location: Zagreb, CroatiaJoined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:15 am
tonyjaa wrote:
What's the significance of Liam's shirt?

Keef's passion for motorcycles, he owned Suzuki and Honda bikes as well as motorcycle team "Team traction control".

Colors on that tee also reminds of one particular used by the Firestarter.

Cheers,
gava

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 4:20 am
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 1307Location: GreeceJoined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:32 pm
Leeds

Birmingham

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:01 am
GeneralGeneralPosts: 1782Joined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 2:52 pm
It's a shame 'Champions of London' has been dropped from the set. It hasn't been replaced with a different track. Sheffield gigs were 20 tracks but since then the set is 19 tracks.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:13 am
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 3115Location: LithuaniaJoined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:18 pm
Doesn't look like they are ready to try out new stuff. Maybe in London they will.

Anyway hope this tour will give them energy to finish up the new record and the documentary they announced.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 5:09 pm
User avatarGruntGruntPosts: 97Joined: Tue May 15, 2018 11:47 am
Really nice to see that the guys have that same energy or even MORE so than before.. I think there are even more stage lighting and other stage effects than ever before. According to the crowd reactions and the general atmosphere all the gigs seem to be full of good vibes and tonnes of energy :Firestarter:

But.. I have to nag about the setlist in general. Yes, there are lots of great live tunes as has been proven numerous times.
But why to stay the obvious, again? :boring:

They (Liam) should have added more "wild cards" aka tunes they haven't played for ages such as Girls/More Girls, Hotride, Thunder (album version), Hyperspeed, Rebel radio (with some modified vocals with Keef's physical absence), One love etc.

In general, the setlist(s) seem to be a surprisingly lazily and predictably put together.
I truly expected more than "just" the Greatest hits.

And yes, as someone wondered also in this forum: Where are those promised new tunes or at least bits and pieces of them?

I'd be really gutted if there aren't going to be any hints of them in any of the remaining gigs.

But all of you who have the tickets to the remaining gigs of this tour: ENJOY nevertheless!
Gigs seem to be quite a ruckus ride so I would have wished to be there too! :bringit:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 5:26 pm
Quote:
AND MAYBE SOME SHIT U HAVNT HEARD BEFORE

New tracks weren't promised. Liam left himself with a get out by saying "Maybe". Maybe some new tracks? Maybe not unfortunately.

As for the set list, I'd love more variety in the tracks chosen. I partly blame the lack of changes down to the crowd reaction from the majority to any track which isn't what they expect. Anything off the last 2 albums, muted reaction. Anything new, muted reaction. 'Breathe', 'Firestarter', 'Omen', etc. Massive reaction.

Popular artists are cursed to play to the expectations of 'the average gig goer'.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 5:31 pm
Lastu wrote:
They (Liam) should have added more "wild cards" aka tunes they haven't played for ages such as Girls/More Girls, Hotride, Thunder (album version), Hyperspeed, Rebel radio (with some modified vocals with Keef's physical absence), One love etc.

Those aren't really a "wild card". My dream for this tour would be for them to drop "Funky Shit". One of my all time favourites. A 2022 live remake for the FOTL25 would have been :evilflame:

oh well. Still glad their back.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 6:05 pm
In Liam's mind "Funky Shit" was a track for Leeroy to dance to. Has it ever been played live since Leeroy left? I don't think it has. I'd be happy to hear it live again.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 7:50 pm
James Jupiter wrote:
In Liam's mind "Funky Shit" was a track for Leeroy to dance to. Has it ever been played live since Leeroy left? I don't think it has. I'd be happy to hear it live again.

At present seems more likely to have 'Heatwave Hurricane' in the setlist rather than that lol
I'm just wondering how awful is the heatwave madness over UK while reading his latest statement about the next gigs...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:00 pm
User avatarSergeantSergeantPosts: 413Location: Tenerife (fan since 95)Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:53 am
I would drop Roadblox and Get Your Fight On...i fact I'd eliminate most of the tunes from 2009 onwards except a couple of tunes from the last album

Offline Profile