<  PRODIGY LIVE  ~  The Prodigy Live Dates 2023

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2023 7:25 am
User avatarGruntGruntPosts: 98Joined: Tue May 15, 2018 11:47 am
Any new tunes presented at the Exit?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2023 9:06 am
User avatarModeratorModeratorPosts: 2660Location: Zagreb, CroatiaJoined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:15 am
Nope

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2023 1:21 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 6516Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:44 am

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:18 am
GruntGruntPosts: 56Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:50 am
James Jupiter wrote:
The set list is more or less the same as the 2022 UK tour. It's a bit of a greatest hits set which made sense for their return and for Summer festivals. I"m hoping the November 2023 UK tour set list is significantly different but, to satisfy the expectations of a lot of the people going to an arena tour, they'll feel obliged to play the 'hits' e.g. 'Breathe', "Firestarter', 'Smack My Bitch Up', 'Their Law', 'Voodoo People' , etc.

Talk to the average gig goers and they all seem to expect an artist to play all the hits even when it's a new album tour. A lot of the time, a large percentage of the crowd don't seem to know any of the new tracks even when the album has been out awhile.

Arctic Monkeys got a lot of stick for their Glastonbury set. I think when a band has a certain number of albums and the original fans get into their mid 30s then there is more of an obligation to play the "hits". Having seen the band so many times now I'd be more than happy for a change up in the set list. I think the only way to get a lot of older hits these days is to do night where they play the whole of an album and then some hits.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2023 1:29 pm
User avatarCorporalCorporalPosts: 333Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:29 am
I'd love to hear the odd older track swapped out and cycled at gigs. Mix it up with one of the tunes that haven't been played live for ages, Charly, Wind it Up, Rhythm of Life, Girls or Thunder for instance. Maybe Liam could do a rework of a Maxim centric track, something like Piranha would be cool to finally hear live. Obviously keep the stuff casual fans expect, like Breathe and Their Law, just mix it up a little for us old timers.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2023 1:15 pm
ColonelColonelPosts: 996Joined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:15 pm
Jimmy Mcgroe wrote:
I'd love to hear the odd older track swapped out and cycled at gigs. Mix it up with one of the tunes that haven't been played live for ages, Charly, Wind it Up, Rhythm of Life, Girls or Thunder for instance. Maybe Liam could do a rework of a Maxim centric track, something like Piranha would be cool to finally hear live. Obviously keep the stuff casual fans expect, like Breathe and Their Law, just mix it up a little for us old timers.

Maybe Liam/Maxim doesn't want to play those songs... as a musician, having a live cohesive set makes all the difference as a performance, maybe they felt like those songs just don't work live for them anymore etc

t this point maxim is learning to work the stage and these songs on his own

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:08 pm
User avatarCorporalCorporalPosts: 333Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:29 am
Progress Is Made wrote:
Jimmy Mcgroe wrote:

Maybe Liam/Maxim doesn't want to play those songs... as a musician, having a live cohesive set makes all the difference as a performance, maybe they felt like those songs just don't work live for them anymore etc

t this point maxim is learning to work the stage and these songs on his own

Possibly, but there has been interviews in the past where Liam said the only Experience era track that would work in the current set was Jericho, then he went on to rework several Experience era tracks into the modern shows to great success. So we know he often changes his mind and approach over time. Also around the time IMD released, Maxim said he was really excited to play Piranha live, but it never happened. With him now being solo on the mic, it would be great for him to finally get the chance. I'm sure they will get around to adding some older reworks into the set eventually, especially if Liam's not ready to debut many new tracks. The UK tours are usually a good testing ground for changes in the setlist, so I guess we'll see.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2023 2:02 am
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 3825Location: USAJoined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:56 pm
Jimmy Mcgroe wrote:
Possibly, but there has been interviews in the past where Liam said the only Experience era track that would work in the current set was Jericho, then he went on to rework several Experience era tracks into the modern shows to great success. So we know he often changes his mind and approach over time. Also around the time IMD released, Maxim said he was really excited to play Piranha live, but it never happened. With him now being solo on the mic, it would be great for him to finally get the chance. I'm sure they will get around to adding some older reworks into the set eventually, especially if Liam's not ready to debut many new tracks. The UK tours are usually a good testing ground for changes in the setlist, so I guess we'll see.

It's interesting how Liam has played every single track off Invaders Must Die EXCEPT for Piranha. I'm curious why. It was one of my faves off IMD. I would like to see them play it live just once.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the version of Thunder Liam played in NYC 2009 was so frigging good. I'll never understand why he cut it from the set. He only played it a few times, but he kept messing with it, when the NYC version was perfect. The crowd went ape shit for it.

It makes me realize how special the IMD era tours were. Liam dropped a bunch of Experience era tracks throughout, such as Jericho, Wind It Up, Weather Experience, Everybody In The Place, Charly, Your Love into Out Of Space, and Death Of The Prodigy Dancers. They brought back Hyperspeed for The Day Is My Enemy and Fire for No Tourists.

I'm someone who prefers the deep cuts to the singles. I wish we got a little bit more of that live. I'd rather hear Voodoo Beats than Voodoo People. I would like to see Champions Of London and Wall Of Death come back. Yeah, Keith is featured on them, but Maxim is able to handle Breathe and Take Me To The Hospital just fine. I think he can do those songs justice. It's a shame No Tourists tracks didn't get their time to shine as that era was cut short.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 2:32 pm
NEOREV wrote:
Jimmy Mcgroe wrote:

It's interesting how Liam has played every single track off Invaders Must Die EXCEPT for Piranha. I'm curious why. It was one of my faves off IMD. I would like to see them play it live just once.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the version of Thunder Liam played in NYC 2009 was so frigging good. I'll never understand why he cut it from the set. He only played it a few times, but he kept messing with it, when the NYC version was perfect. The crowd went ape shit for it.

It makes me realize how special the IMD era tours were. Liam dropped a bunch of Experience era tracks throughout, such as Jericho, Wind It Up, Weather Experience, Everybody In The Place, Charly, Your Love into Out Of Space, and Death Of The Prodigy Dancers. They brought back Hyperspeed for The Day Is My Enemy and Fire for No Tourists.

I'm someone who prefers the deep cuts to the singles. I wish we got a little bit more of that live. I'd rather hear Voodoo Beats than Voodoo People. I would like to see Champions Of London and Wall Of Death come back. Yeah, Keith is featured on them, but Maxim is able to handle Breathe and Take Me To The Hospital just fine. I think he can do those songs justice. It's a shame No Tourists tracks didn't get their time to shine as that era was cut short.

I mostly agree what you said here, Neorev. Liam has cut off many killer live tracks not only from the IMD era but for example from AONO as well. Girls with More Girls would work nicely even now after about 20 years. Not to mention WAKE Up call and Youll be under my wheels along with Medusas Path.

One thing I am not agreeing here with you at all is that hideous Piranha. I always skip that track when listening to IMD album. To me it sounds an album filler with corny lyrics. Maybe tuned into darker soundscape with lurking or sinister intersection(s) (like the piranha fish IS in IRL) it'd have had more potential? Now, it is more like trying to be light or upbeat party tune without those gripping teeth the lyrics endlessly trying to highlight. Sorry, not working for me.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:28 am
GeneralGeneralPosts: 1652Location: Paris, FranceJoined: Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:17 pm
Since madcool Distupt Ya Flow is not in set list.
I want to hear it in Belgium in august

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:45 am
GruntGruntPosts: 9Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:56 pm
climbatize92 wrote:
Since madcool Distupt Ya Flow is not in set list.
I want to hear it in Belgium in august

It is a shame that it's not been on the setlist I agree, but I reckon it's more to do with slightly shorter set times, so at Ilosaarirock they cut DYF and NS1 from the set, and earlier on at Vestrock they cut DYF as well. I reckon if the Athens gig gives them a bit longer, it's likely to reappear

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:06 am
GeneralGeneralPosts: 1652Location: Paris, FranceJoined: Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:17 pm
Switzerland and two Norway performances were cancelled due to maxim’s back recovery from an injury

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:23 am
GruntGruntPosts: 56Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:50 am
NEOREV wrote:
Jimmy Mcgroe wrote:

I think Ruff in the Jungle Bizness could work really well in a set.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 6:26 pm
Flannerz wrote:
NEOREV wrote:
Jimmy Mcgroe wrote:

I think Ruff in the Jungle Bizness could work really well in a set.

Oh yes, it has been played last time in 1993 in NYC (source: http://www.setlist.fm)! :guns:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2023 6:30 pm
Is there any news from any direction is there going to be released and when new music or even a complete new album? What about the documentary? I kind of hoped this #armyoftheantsants would have related to new music or the new documentary. But now as the tour dates are approaching without any official news my concern grows day by day that there will nothing new in the near Future (during this year).

What about you, how do you feel? :oops:

Offline Profile