<  PRODIGY MUSIC / GENERAL  ~  Gabba (Fan Remake)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:53 pm
GeneralGeneralPosts: 1782Joined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 2:52 pm
DAT was never a popular format with the general public. Who even has a DAT deck these days? I presume they are completely obsolete in the studio world since the advent of hard disc recording. The DAT purchaser probably has some sort of music background.

The buyer could have heard 'Gabba', not know what it was but used music identifier software to find out. There's also a chance they heard it and though it sounds like The Prodigy and found 'Gabba' that way.

If it was Liam, why wouldn't he just upload them himself to an official Prodigy channel? That way he'd get the thanks of the fans. These tracks don't contain obvious samples which would require clearing so that wouldn't stop him releasing them officially.

Whatever the truth is behind these DAT tracks, I'm glad we're getting to hear them. We'd all have preferred Liam to have released them himself officially decades ago.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:52 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 1296Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:49 am
James Jupiter wrote:
DAT was never a popular format with the general public. Who even has a DAT deck these days? I presume they are completely obsolete in the studio world since the advent of hard disc recording. The DAT purchaser probably has some sort of music background.

The buyer could have heard 'Gabba', not know what it was but used music identifier software to find out. There's also a chance they heard it and though it sounds like The Prodigy and found 'Gabba' that way.

If it was Liam, why wouldn't he just upload them himself to an official Prodigy channel? That way he'd get the thanks of the fans. These tracks don't contain obvious samples which would require clearing so that wouldn't stop him releasing them officially.

Whatever the truth is behind these DAT tracks, I'm glad we're getting to hear them. We'd all have preferred Liam to have released them himself officially decades ago.

You think it's possible XL holds the rights to tracks made in that era?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:21 pm
User avatarSergeantSergeantPosts: 413Location: Tenerife (fan since 95)Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:53 am
ChemicaL wrote:
James Jupiter wrote:

You think it's possible XL holds the rights to tracks made in that era?

the chance was in 2008 when they release the bonus disc of Jilted and they just released b sides that we all had (and the maida sessions which were ok).

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:52 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 1015Joined: Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:29 pm
All of you are wrong! The reason Liam never released those tracks that we are NOW getting is that he simply didn't think it was good enough or not enough production to put prodigys name on it as a release! Plus some of what we are getting off the DATS are all filler tracks anyways im very happy we have at least got this! I never thought these dinosaours would ever see the light of day! An dont say that liam should put it online for the fans for free since that will show millions of prodigy fans who aren't as big fans as us these old demos thinking they are new releases!!! Makes sense yeah!?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:17 pm
User avatarColonelColonelPosts: 826Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:51 pm
Rickyoto wrote:
All of you are wrong! The reason Liam never released those tracks that we are NOW getting is that he simply didn't think it was good enough or not enough production to put prodigys name on it as a release! Plus some of what we are getting off the DATS are all filler tracks anyways im very happy we have at least got this! I never thought these dinosaours would ever see the light of day! An dont say that liam should put it online for the fans for free since that will show millions of prodigy fans who aren't as big fans as us these old demos thinking they are new releases!!! Makes sense yeah!?

Yes, they are filler tracks for live purpose only. Gabba was probably considered as a B-side, but most likely too aggresive compared to their other tracks during that era. I never thought it was that good really, but still nice to have. There is fanmixes of Gabba and 95 Vibe that are almost identical to these, so I already felt I had them, in better quality aswell. I do hope Mr. Benny Blanco from the Bronx will show up within a few days. Rock N Roll and One Love 94 is welcome too.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:43 pm
User avatarSergeantSergeantPosts: 413Location: Tenerife (fan since 95)Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:53 am
Rock n Roll had potential, it could have been a nice b side for the Voodoo People single instead of Goa. Or, alternatively, why not release some of these only on vinyl and the others on cd? Maybe b sides for the american market (using the Maverick label)?

there were ways to put them out. The No Good and Voodoo People singles were a bit lazy at choosing the tracks

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:11 pm
GeneralGeneralPosts: 1782Joined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 2:52 pm
Regarding who owns the publishing rights to these tracks, BMG publish Liam Howlett’s entire song catalogue. I presume that means everything from the XL Recordings days to now. You'd hope Liam has the rights to all his own music, released and unreleased.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:13 am
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 1307Location: GreeceJoined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:32 pm
Rickyoto wrote:

Ditto!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:54 pm
ColonelColonelPosts: 853Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:31 pm
I doubt a record company owns unreleased material? is that a normal thing?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:35 pm
jonyintheplace wrote:
Rock n Roll had potential, it could have been a nice b side for the Voodoo People single instead of Goa. Or, alternatively, why not release some of these only on vinyl and the others on cd? Maybe b sides for the american market (using the Maverick label)?

there were ways to put them out. The No Good and Voodoo People singles were a bit lazy at choosing the tracks

Rock N Roll was too simple and repeatable, and the beat had been used a lot by other artists. I do like the acid part in Goa, but the Heat is way better besides that.
The singles between 91 and 97 was a hell of a lot better than the later ones. The Prodigy will never release on Maverick again. Why only a US release? That would totally suck for the rest of the world.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:38 pm
User avatarProdigious ArabPosts: 4204Location: The Dark SideJoined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:22 pm

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:05 pm
So it must be "stolen" from soundboard back in 94-95 from a set? Why would we hear no good snippet after rock n roll?

Last edited by Trawizz on Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:16 pm
User avatarPrivatePrivatePosts: 141Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:08 am
Trawizz wrote:
So it must me "stolen" from soundboard back in 94-95 from a set? Why would we hear no good snippet after rock n roll?

true

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:24 pm
If we are lucky, we will get Vogue and One Love 94, and then the adventure is over..... for now.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:17 pm
User avatarGruntGruntPosts: 68Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:16 pm
Rickyoto wrote:
An dont say that liam should put it online for the fans for free since that will show millions of prodigy fans who aren't as big fans as us these old demos thinking they are new releases!!! Makes sense yeah!?

If Liam did upload old demo's online, I'm pretty sure he would title the uploads correctly e.g. 'Prodigy >insert track name here< (Old '95 Demo)'

Offline Profile