<  PRODIGY MUSIC / GENERAL  ~  Magazine Quotes From Other Artists About The Prodigy

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 1:36 am
Been meaning to do this for a while. I often read in magazines and stuff mentioned The Prodigy or Liam Howlett's influence on them. Post quotes from magazines or other sources from other artists about The Prodigy. For example, an artist describing how The Prodigy influenced them, etc.

"I was really happy to get asked to do it but it did become quite stressful", he explains. Because of their greatest hits collection, The Prodigy decided to commission a load of remixes and they spoke to me, Pendulum, TC, Zinc, and a few other people as well. We weren't given any of the samples as those tunes were made so long ago and I doubt the original multi tracks even existed, so we had to sample them and recreate the sounds. Generally, the bigger the label, the less time you seem to have for remixes. We only got a week to do it and I was touring at the same time; it was definitely stressful. I remember I just finished the mix as the courier arrived for the CD to take to be mastered and put onto vinyl; I had to keep the guy waiting for five minutes as I burned it off. Because all of us D&B guys knew they weren't going to put out all of the drum & bass mixes, it turned into this kind of select remix competition, so it was a bit weird. I was really happy they put mine out, I think that was a massive boost for me and alongside 'X-Ray' was responsible for getting everything really going for me."
- Subfocus re: SMBU remix - ATM Mag Issue 77

The Prodigy - Diesel Power: This is the first tune I heard that had that ten ton heavy, industrial feel coupled with shitloads of energy and funk, the sort of music that makes concrete look cool. And the best thing about this tune is that it really speaks for itself. It's not too far up its own arse to be difficult to "get", but also not too obvious to lose raw power. No one does that better than The Prodigy.
- Noisia re: Their favorite songs of all-time - ATM Mag Issue 77

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 5:55 am
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 6512Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:44 am
Tom Rowlands of Chemical Brothers fame

Quote:
Yes, but Liam Howlett, come on, the guy is a genius.

http://www.nyrock.com/interviews/chemical_int.htm[/code]

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 9:43 am
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 2949Location: woppity woppity woppityJoined: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:33 am
Where's Drummer and his comments when you need him? ;)

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 10:46 am
Aquilersz wrote:
Where's Drummer and his comments when you need him? ;)

by the way. what ever happened to him? i think he was arrested or something and never returned. right?

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 11:55 am
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 6933Location: Scotland UKJoined: Wed May 23, 2007 2:57 pm
yeah he's like vanished

but again cheers for opening this topic, this along with the art one make a good combination, theres bound to be millions of artists talking bout prodigy influences.

i saw on mtv once a band (an indie band i think) were talking about a prodigy concert, said it was the best concert of their life and mentioned when ure there and the music starts, its like god is in the air 8-)

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 12:24 pm
User avatarPrivatePrivatePosts: 287Location: US of AJoined: Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:06 pm
Cogglesz™ wrote:
yeah he's like vanished

Oh shucks.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 12:39 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 3115Location: LithuaniaJoined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:18 pm
Foo Fighters

Quote:
LET'S DANCE

Brian: "Do you like techno? Do you like drum'n'bass?"
Dave: "See, me being a drummer, it's hard for me to accept anything but a drummer producing the rhythm track to a song. One of the problems I have with dance music nowadays is that, often, it's not song orientated at all. I love The Prodigy. I fucking love them, because whether they have vocals on their albums or not, the dynamics of their songs make them songs."
Brian: "The Prodigy are more punk in their attitude towards music than most punk-influenced bands coming out now. To me, Sonic Youth were punk because they redefined the way of playing, they invented their own rules. Punk's an attitude thing, not three chords and sounding like the Pistols. And that's what I love about The Prodigy - they're large and dangerous."
Dave: "I'd never seen The Prodigy when I picked up their album five years ago, and I was amazed at the rhythms they were using. There was something there other than step aerobics class rhythm. Seeing them live this summer blew me away, because a few days before, I'd seen Orbital, which was all right, but visually there wasn't much there. Seeing The Prodigy was an experience. To see 60,000 people - the kids with the Alanis Morissette t-shirts, the kids with the Hawkwind t-shirts, the kids with the Therapy? t-shirts - rockin' to The Prodigy was quite an experience. The kids with the Foo Fighters t-shirts, even the Foo Fighters...are rockin' to The Prodigy. I want to see The Prodigy take over the world. I'd love to see The Prodigy come to America and destroy all guitar-based, fucking alternative bullshit, rock. And that would include our band. You see, one of the accomplishments I've always been proud of in Nirvana is that people say we destroyed hair rock, Los Angeles strip metal bullshit."

MM: People say punk destroyed rock'n'roll. It didn't. It revived rock'n'roll. People say Nirvana destroyed rock. They didn't. They revived rock music. They made rock music hip again.

Dave: "The reality is one type of music can shed light on the falseness - what's lacking - in another type. It's not that one can make somebody appreciate the other. When someone heard the Sex Pistols' 'Bodies' for the first time, they didn't think, 'Wow, man, I'll go and put on "Sweet Home Alabama" because now I know what it's all about.' No. People made the separation, they made the division. They said 'This is real, this is Vegas.' The Prodigy have the energy that is currently lacking. I really do see them taking over the world."
Brian: "I hope they do, because music has to change, it has to mutate. I've seen them twice and they carry so much energy, it felt like I was on uppers."
Dave: "It's like, your taste in music becomes stagnant and complacent, so something else comes along and you fall in love with it and realise the love you previously had was lacking in so many ways. Often, people fall in love with something they're totally afraid of, they feel threatened by - the tank, the older woman, someone's intellect, someone's reputation - and that's what happened when I saw The Prodigy for the first time."

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 1:40 pm
User avatarModeratorModeratorPosts: 2660Location: Zagreb, CroatiaJoined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:15 am
nice one Murphy , it's just great to read what other artists have to say about The Prodigy , i'm proud :-D

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 5:20 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 1730Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:12 pm
Justice

Quote:
One month ago I interviewed Liam Howlett of the prodigy. He stated that he’s really into your music…
Really?
When I asked him about his favourite electronica artists, he could only mention you guys at that point.
Really? Are you joking? Well , that’s really cool! (Xavier gives a high five to Gaspard) We are into the prodigy, even their latest album is really banging. We hesitated to ask the prodigy to do a remix of ‘waters of nazareth’ but we didn’t dare to ask in the end.
Liam described your music as ‘discopunk’. Can your relate to that description?
Well yea, we describe it more like ‘hard disco’ but shit…if Liam Howlett says it’s ‘discopunk’, we say it’s ‘discopunk’.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 5:42 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 3115Location: LithuaniaJoined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:18 pm
what do you guys think of justice and prodigy colobration?

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 6:58 pm
GruntGruntPosts: 96Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:33 pm
ive been dreamin of it since i herd `never be alone`(2004 maybe )
theyre pretty much softer but it`ll work for sure

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 7:06 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 1730Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:12 pm
untitled6 wrote:
what do you guys think of justice and prodigy colobration?

justice - waters of nazareth (prodigy mix) would be probably the best song ever made!

back on topic, chcech dis out: http://theprodigy.info/fans/

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 7:22 pm
User avatarCorporalCorporalPosts: 376Location: BelgiumJoined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:59 pm
bring it on!