<  PRODIGY MUSIC / GENERAL  ~  IMD: behind the scenes.. technical stuff.. lets talk.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:53 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 2002Location: NorwayJoined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:50 pm
Okay.. So most of us have heard the album now. Lets talk about how Liam made this album. I know that there are many people on this board who make music or know alot about making music. So this topic can be very good if everybody keeps talking. :)

Liam used alot of samples from his big sample-collection. But I wonder aht kind of hardware he used on many of his tune. There is a special synth-style who goes on allmost every track (apart from IMD, Run and Stand-up). I havent heard this kind of sound before.

You can hear this special type of synth on the main bassline on Warriors Dance and the synth/bass-stabs in thunder, ect ect.

www.soundcloud.com/MoozeBlaster
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:58 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 1430Location: HungaryJoined: Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:04 pm
I would really really love this album, if it was created by analogsynths, like Experience and MFTJG.

I like those 'analogue' sounds....

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:27 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 2002Location: NorwayJoined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:50 pm
experience: 90% samples that Liam took from his record collection or from his own synths.

MFTJG: 50/50 samples or diferent synths controlled by the w-30

Fat: Liam at his best (technical-vise)

AONO: Reason and from there on to pro-tools and a few synths (korg)

IVMD: not sure yet.. :)

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:30 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 1430Location: HungaryJoined: Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:04 pm
Fotl had a lot of samples too. But Liam edited them( for example Horn Track).

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:32 pm
I think thats because the old albums are much better than the new ones.
They are made with synths and not woth fucking computers!

I'm a fan of analogue-synth music, I love every music created by synths.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:43 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 6933Location: Scotland UKJoined: Wed May 23, 2007 2:57 pm
im 100% positive he used a korg ms-20 and a minimoog voyager, its a new synth but it packs all the analogue you could ask for simply because its a moog.

i'm not sure about whatelse he used but the ms-20 is the starting bass for take me to the hospital that i'm positive of

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:43 pm
User avatarMajorMajorPosts: 735Location: PolandJoined: Wed May 23, 2007 12:08 pm
beginning of this thread is ridiculous, some are still waiting for release date...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:52 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 6933Location: Scotland UKJoined: Wed May 23, 2007 2:57 pm
Chaosu wrote:
beginning of this thread is ridiculous, some are still waiting for release date...
well dont get involved until you have it :P

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:53 pm
Yeah. If you dont like the tread, just dont read it.

I'm sure 99% of the forum have heard the album anyway.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:28 pm
GruntGruntPosts: 28Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:35 pm
There was this screenshot of the album progress or something that was on the blog... that showed how one of the new tracks was arranged... Mabye it was on flicker?

Was that protools?

Cant analog synths be trickered from a computer via midi...?
To those who says they hate computers..

I know my groovebox can be controlled via midi...

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:53 pm
User avatarCaptainCaptainPosts: 650Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:06 pm
i would of said he used Logic Pro quite alot this time around, Thunder starts off with a drum kit sound that sounds like one of the presets off ultrabeat, i swear!
He still does a bit of sampling by the sound of it too, Warriors Dance I believe uses parts of the drum break from "Bobby Byrd - Hot Pants (I'm Coming)", which some of you might recognize from Charly.

Here's what Liam said in an interview with neko from 2006...

Is Reason still a part of the writing process?

Im not fucking promoting them anymore!

They havent done anything wrong, Im just fed up withyou know, I still use it, but I also use Logic, Protools, I use Ableton, I use whatever is there really. Reason is good for getting shit happening quickly, but it doesnt sound like Logic or Protools, they sound better.

So either way, it ends up on Protools anyway."

Agreed it would be great to get more detail on what gear he used as well as what he favoured plugin wise, im sure he'll tell all soon in a magazine interview or somethin

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:58 pm
User avatarCaptainCaptainPosts: 650Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:06 pm
Is this the photo on Flickr that you was on about? ... http://www.flickr.com/photos/the-prodigy/2947187450/

Looks like i was right, Logic all the way!

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:59 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 1349Location: Manchester, EnglandJoined: Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:32 am
I know one thing.. i bet there wasnt a shitty pc in sight when making this!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:15 am
User avatarPrivatePrivatePosts: 289Location: GermanyJoined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:04 pm
disko punk wrote:
I would really really love this album, if it was created by analogsynths, like Experience and MFTJG.

I like those 'analogue' sounds....

well, those albums didn't actually have that much analog shit inside.
the u220, jd990 and a few other emu romplers where the main tools.
so not even "proper" synthesizers..

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:29 am
I dont think Liam used Reason on this album. Maybe just as a way to get down some ideas. Black Smoke does have some Reason-feel to it. Sound like Liam playing with dr-rex.

Offline Profile WWW