<  PRODIGY MUSIC / GENERAL  ~  Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned: 10 Years!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:07 am
User avatarCaptainCaptainPosts: 664Location: CroatiaJoined: Mon May 19, 2008 7:18 am
its not a bad album. its just that those couple of tracks that were circulating prior its release, or the b-sides and remixes that followed it were better. trigger and bgat are at least as good as some of the stuff on the album, and what about more girls, first warning, razor, back 2 school. even shadow and who u foolin are ok. they had a whole albums worth of good stuff at the time and it was a good era

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:51 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 1349Location: Manchester, EnglandJoined: Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:32 am
Getting Girls on promo 12 and playing it for the first time reminded me of the feeling of being a kid, buying tracks like Out of Space, No Good and playing them over and over again...

Can't say i've had that feeling from the Prodigy since, in fact I turned Invaders Must Die off after one play and never played it again.

Girls for me was way ahead of it's time, the distortion and beats and that breakdown... you could tell this album Liam was really enjoying his beats and that trip to NYC really beefed them up on the production.

Just a shame there are way too many fillers on it, a waste of Kool Keith sample when we could of had the full verses and an awful cover version of Lovebuzz.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:01 pm
User avatarA.K.A. feelxPosts: 3056Location: Montréal, QCJoined: Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:32 pm
It is the punch in the face I got about 9 years ago when almost all I would listen to and appreciate was four-on-the-floor music.

Spitfire and Girls was all I needed to tweak my musical tastes.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:16 pm
ColonelColonelPosts: 853Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:31 pm
Gimme 'More AONO'

1. Spitfire radio 1 version
2. Girls
3. Memphis bells demo
4. Hot Ride radio 1 version
5. Wake up call full vocal + maxim
6. Warning 2004
7. Ded ken beats
8. Nuclear
9. No souvenirs (the unkle mix is already out, so why not give us the original if it is better? The hype is gone, nobody will be dissapointed if it is shit)
10. Trigger
11. Guns reprise
12. Goodmorning
13. Heatwave
14. Frequencies

And i am a happy man.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:40 pm
User avatarCaptainCaptainPosts: 681Location: EstoniaJoined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:20 pm
i agree that the album COULD have been better. of course.
it was a difficult album to make and we all know (Liam included) that since fotl, there's a lot of pressure on every release

but as for me, the 2 best bits of music from the aono era are
1 - memphis bells demo
2 - action radar link

GOLD

i cant stress enough how i love those tracks

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:51 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 1356Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:26 pm
IMD is a better album than AONO but for me AONO will always come first because of Girls and most of all Spitfire. There is no song near as badass as Spitfire in IMD. Especially the single version. I think AONO was an album that Liam needed to do in order to find himself again. IMD was an album to prove that he can write something decent,that he wasnt burnt as an artist.
I want to believe that the new album will be the one to prove he is still a genius.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:04 am
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 1296Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:49 am
It's really hard for me to distinguish whether IMD is a better album than AONO. If I look at the statistics, I have listened to AONO far more than IMD.

IMD has parts that are good, some concepts within tracks seem forced, especially the sound design of the entire record. In example, as much as I want to like TMTTH, its a fucking mess. Thunder is pretty good, especially that breakdown, which for me is the highlight of the album. Colors and Commanche also work, they have balls. The rest is pretty bad though. I feel like they listened to what the fans want a bit too much and that's the result, a forced mish mash of what everyone wants, no overall concept that unifies the album.

AONO, on the other hand, has some true breakthrough moments, almost as if it came out too early to be fully appreciated and fully developed at the same time. Girls, Spitfire, Wake Up, Get Up Get Off, Hotride, Action Radar, all fantastic tracks. Some iterations of those tracks sound even better, like the Alternate Mix of Get Up Get Off, or the later version of Spitfire. So, maybe its not that hard to distinguish whether IMD is better than AONO, because in my house - it obviously isn't.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:32 pm
User avatarCorporalCorporalPosts: 307Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:23 pm
AONO is my fav Prodigy album, but I remember when it released I was so disappointed, cos I expected an album full of BGAT, Trigger, Nuclear type songs.
AONO is nearly a perfect album, but I don't like Phoenix and Way It is. They are boring fillers. The album should have BGAT, Trigger, Nuclear! And it's a shame that after the album released they came with Warning. It would be easily the best track on AONO. Oh and Razor, B2S also should have on AONO!

Am I the only one who don't think that Spitfire 05 better than the album version?

AONO is the album that I listened the most in my life not just from the Prodigy albums.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:49 pm
User avatarProdigious ArabPosts: 4204Location: The Dark SideJoined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:22 pm
triggernuclear wrote:
AONO is my fav Prodigy album, but I remember when it released I was so disappointed, cos I expected an album full of BGAT, Trigger, Nuclear type songs.
AONO is nearly a perfect album, but I don't like Phoenix and Way It is. They are boring fillers. The album should have BGAT, Trigger, Nuclear! And it's a shame that after the album released they came with Warning. It would be easily the best track on AONO. Oh and Razor, B2S also should have on AONO!

Am I the only one who don't think that Spitfire 05 better than the album version?

AONO is the album that I listened the most in my life not just from the Prodigy albums.

I like Spitfire album version way more than 05 single version.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:05 am
User avatarA.K.A. feelxPosts: 3056Location: Montréal, QCJoined: Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:32 pm
As much as I think FotL might be the best, variety- and production-wise mostly, I must say this album might just be the dearest to me. Like I said, it came at a time where almost all I would listen to was four-on-the-floor. So this is the album that introduced me to breakbeat, and also the one that got me interested a bit in alternative rock.

Also, I love the atwork. And the back cover. The typeface used.

1. Spitfire This track has such a powerful drum pattern, and a powerful 'fire' sound. I love how it sounds 'aztec'. Love the catchy lyrics. Juliette Lewis does a great part. Only downside is the lenght, the track is a bit stretched.

2. Girls My favourite from the album. What for me has set what was the definite Prodigy sound (it may be in my top 3 Prodge tracks). I can never stress enough how brilliant is the drum pattern. The bassline is dirty. The Ping Pong Bitches are sexy. The final is futuristic. Only the bridge is average compared to the rest.

3. Memphis Bells That track is cool. A bit too long, though. It is a lesser 'Girls'. I would love to hear a complete 'AONO Demo' version.

4. Get Up Get Off Track is okay. Beats get a bit repetitive. But my favourite part is Twista's supersonic chorus. Alternate Version kicks ass.

5. Hotride That track, along with Girls, are some of the most complete tracks Liam has made, IMO. Confirms Juliette Lewis as the person who should be the 4th Prodigy member, if there ever was one, IMO. El Batori Mix is great too.

6. Wake Up Call Powerful, but repetitive. Great live. DAT CHORUS SOUND

7. Action Radar Okay. It is long too, but I love the word-packed vocals, who for a long time I thought were provided by a girl.

8. Medusa's Path That track is great, it just sounds a bit lazy for how it was put together (same evolution x2).

9. Phoenix I know most people find this track silly. Even if the original psychedelic rock version is copy pasted on this one, I think Liam's version stands out for itself. At least more than Stand Up vs One Way Glass. Psy rock and electro mixed up well I think. And it has nothing to do with Nirvana's

10. You'll Be Under My Wheels That track used to be a favourite, but I don't like it anymore. Too simple, too repetitive. Probably the only one I would consider deleting. The original mix (from Girls single) is THE SHIT though.

11. The Way It Is Another track people find silly, I like. Bring me that electro-Jackson vibe, me likes. Live Remix is even better.

12. Shoot Down Now I know tracks like Trigger or Guns (Rough Mix) might have been better, but if we forget about those, the track itself is good. Liam G succeeds at providing the trash. Just not good enough to be the album's final.

and now, last but not least: Warning... oh god why wasn't that track written a bit earlier???

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:59 pm
I forget about my fav tracks from the album: Spitfire, Memphis Bells, Action Radar, Shoot Down, Under my wheels, Get Up, Wake Up. I hate that Warning is not on the album! :( One of the best Prodigy tracks ever!

I very very hope that on the new album there will be Warning-like tracks, and Liam won't write the best tracks after TDIME released.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:17 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 2916Location: italyJoined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:44 pm
How I agree with you! But the warning i mean is the very first version. I'm not a great fan of FIrst Warning.

www.myspace.com/thespyral
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:04 pm
Can somebody upload the cover art for Memphis Bells digital single? I can't find it anywhere. Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:35 am
User avatarLieutenantLieutenantPosts: 579Location: BulgariaJoined: Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:58 pm
Still a very solid album, but the problem is that only half of the tunes are really good.

In my opinion, from best to worst:

1. Spitfire
2. Wake Up Call
3. Action Radar
4. Girls
5. Hot Ride
6. The Way It Is
7. Memphis Bells
8. Phoenix
9. You'll Be Under My Wheels
10. Get Up Get Off
11. Shoot Down
12. Medusa's Path

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 9:43 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 2220Location: DenmarkJoined: Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:55 pm
Is there a good live recording of Benny Blanco 2002 version? I don't like the 2015 version which is the only decent audio recording I can find :/

Oh... Yeah... And Heatwave Hurricane? :D