<  PRODIGY QUESTIONS & OPINIONS  ~  Complaint letter used as Advert for TFOTL

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:09 pm
GeneralGeneralPosts: 1782Joined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 2:52 pm
Has anyone got a scan of that advert for 'The Fat of the Land' which used a woman's complaint letter to her local council about The Prodigy being "a corrupting influence on our youth" and to not allow a Prodigy gig to go ahead?

It was an amusing way to turn a complaint about The Prodigy into a promotion for The Prodigy. The advert was her complaint letter on lined note paper on a black background with the quote "a corrupting influence on our youth" followed by the woman's name. I think it was from 1997 or 1998 at the latest.

I've had a look on Google images and couldn't find it.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:52 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 1113Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:05 am
think i saw that on alex Jenkins twitter or website, few years back.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:44 pm
User avatarProdigious ArabPosts: 4204Location: The Dark SideJoined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:22 pm
I bought this from eBay years ago...but it's an old pic I took a couple of years ago and it's still sealed.

The letter says :

Quote:
Dear Sirs,

I am writing to you to ban the Prodigy event as I feel that this band will be a corrupting influence on our young people. I have never actually heard them myself but after reading about them and seeing the disgusting picture of the lead singer on the front of my "Glaswegian" I can only view them as being totally evil.

Such a picture conveys an image of someone who is clearly demented and who in the last centuary, and possibly this centuary, would be locked up in a lunatic asylum.

Please do all you can to ban such a horrific which I believe at the end of the day is all intended to get as much money as possible from the youngsters, no matter what the cost.

Yours faithfully,

Mrs Helen Sturgess
Attachments:
Screenshot_20180220-234011.png
Screenshot_20180220-234011.png [ 1.09 MiB | Viewed 4813 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:50 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 1113Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:05 am

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:23 pm
Thanks for finding it. It's a shame there isn't a decent scan of it on-line.

I wonder if she ever found out her complaint letter was turned into an advert for the band she was complaining about. :-D

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:57 am
User avatarMajorMajorPosts: 732Joined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:19 am
I've got one, I'll scan it this week.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:53 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 1883Location: PolandJoined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:08 am
"Smack My Bitch Up is probably the most pointless song I've ever written - I've got no explanation as to why I've go that lyric in. It's just there and it works" - Liam.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:08 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 2916Location: italyJoined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:44 pm
zbyniu wrote:
"Smack My Bitch Up is probably the most pointless song I've ever written - I've got no explanation as to why I've go that lyric in. It's just there and it works" - Liam.

I love this statement. This is basically what music should be about. Art 4 art and for nothing else.

www.myspace.com/thespyral
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:11 am
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 1304Location: RomâniaJoined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:58 am
nucleartitan wrote:
zbyniu wrote:

I love this statement. This is basically what music should be about. Art 4 art and for nothing else.

Me too but ART should have meaning behind it, there should definitely be a reason behind whatever you create - nothing should be mindless.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:01 pm
User avatarPrivatePrivatePosts: 111Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:02 pm
Plain_John wrote:
nucleartitan wrote:
zbyniu wrote:

Me too but ART should have meaning behind it, there should definitely be a reason behind whatever you create - nothing should be mindless.

Didn't they say something about the song being about working hard and basically thats what 'smack my bitch up' means? Or was that just something to appease all the moral guardians?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:21 pm
User avatarProdigious ArabPosts: 4204Location: The Dark SideJoined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:22 pm

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:27 pm
Thanks, I've saved a copy.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:54 pm
User avatarColonelColonelPosts: 825Location: EnglandJoined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:20 pm
Heres my scan

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:39 pm
Saved that too.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:01 pm
PrivatePrivatePosts: 233Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:31 pm
Could be the letter is fake of course. I want it to be genuine, but wouldn’t be surprised if it’s just a bit of clever marketing. I remember seeing it at the time (in Select Magazine I believe)

Offline Profile