<  PRODIGY QUESTIONS & OPINIONS  ~  What Year Did You Become A Fan?

What Year Did You Become A Fan?

2%
[ 5 ] 2%

8%
[ 18 ] 8%

7%
[ 15 ] 7%

5%
[ 10 ] 5%

15%
[ 33 ] 15%

8%
[ 18 ] 8%

14%
[ 30 ] 14%

13%
[ 28 ] 13%

4%
[ 8 ] 4%

2%
[ 5 ] 2%

3%
[ 7 ] 3%

2%
[ 4 ] 2%

2%
[ 4 ] 2%

3%
[ 7 ] 3%

4%
[ 8 ] 4%

7%
[ 15 ] 7%

0%
[ 1 ] 0%

2%
[ 4 ] 2%

Total votes : 220
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:05 am
ModeratorModeratorPosts: 4509Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:37 am
Thanks for the stories and votes!!

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:03 am
1997. Breathe was the tune that got me hooked.

When I was a kid in the 80s I listened to a lot of different stuff, a lot of hip hop like LL Cool J, Naughty By Nature, etc. and even some dance stuff like Snap and Technotronic (I still actually have a Snap & Technotronic cassette from back in like '92). Then in the mid-90s I was really only listening to rock and classic rock music like Led Zeppelin, The Doors, The Who, Jimi Hendrix, Rolling Stones, Nirvana, Soundgarden, I Mother Earth, Stone Temple Pilots, etc. But I remember seeing the Breathe video and being like "who are these crazy fuckers"? I liked the catchy riff and how they had two vocalists, and Maxim's crazy cat-eyes contact lenses were really cool lol. I'm pretty sure I had seen the Firestarter video a few times before that, but it didn't really register.

I can still remember going to the record store and buying the FOTL CD and opening it up and walking down the street with my portable CD player and putting it on hearing SMBU as the first track (which at the time I'd never heard) and being like "holy shit this rocks". After one listen to it I was amazed that I really liked just about every track. I could see they weren't just some "one hit wonder". I remember shortly after that I bought the SMBU single and really loved One Man Army. I think I worked backwards after that buying Jilted, then Experience a bit later on. I didn't like Experience at first, but that was just really b/c I wasn't into the old skool dance music at that time.

Prodigy definitely changed and expanded my tastes and I started listening to the wave of "electronica" artists that were invading North America such as Daft Punk, Chemical Brothers, Crystal Method, etc. I think my early tastes in dance music made it easy for me to like these bands once I was exposed to them, but in the mid-90s during my rock phase I really wouldn't have listened to someone like the Prodigy even if I knew about them.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:19 am
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 1140Location: PolandJoined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 2:55 pm
1996 for me, i Was listening to the shitty dance or german techno music, because my only one music source was german viva tv. I remember when i Saw firestarter for the first time i've spoken---WTF? who is this crazy man, but i didnt like it at all.
Then my cousin arrived to my town and he gave my "Experience" casette, and the first song i've heard from it was "hyperspeed" and i was so excited about that, from now one, i was looking anything about prodigy in the magazines, but unfortunetly in polish magazines was nothing about them at all. Year later when Fat of the land came, all polish magazines was full of the prodigy.

So my true year of became a fan should be 97 im think. By the way im think that is the worst year to became a prodigy fan, in one hand its good because of all that buzz about prodigy was huge in 97 but that was also the last year to 2002 that prodigy do something in studio, What a bad luck, you becoming a fan,and need to wait years for something new.:)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:03 am
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 1729Location: HungaryJoined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:53 pm
1995 when No Good video was out. I just sat in front of the tv everyday between 4pm-5pm, cos then on our music tv Z+ there was a kinda show that a man went around the streets and talked with people and then told them to ask a videoclip. Someone always asked No Good and then I went mad :) Then in the next year I heard Firestarter & Breathe & later SMBU and these anthems decided my faith :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:39 am
Thanks everyone 8-)

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:44 pm
User avatarGruntGruntPosts: 26Location: Galatzi!Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:43 pm
It's 2002 for me...I had just turned 13. Saw the smack my bitch up clip a short time after it appeared, was mind-boggled, searched for every piece of prodge music, and was hooked ever since!

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:18 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 3115Location: LithuaniaJoined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:18 pm

Few years ago this girl gave me this cd with 16 rondom songs including Smack My Bitch Up and Girls.Lisining and adoring these tunes i was thinking who the *Pyyyyp* made this? Is it a man named Prodigy or is it a band?How they look? like dj tiesto or something?Time flyes i found Firestarter and Breathe that didin't make me and inpresion at the time.My neighbour knowd a little about them and told that their new album was releast 2004 and that he can make a copy of the record for me.AONO was the first album i heard from the Prodigy.Then i was watching teli and saw a anons that The Prodigy is coming to lithuania..I wasn't into i their music as now so i just passt the gig...Shame thinking about it now.Later on i got The Fat Of The Land and MFTJG albums that made me nuts..I adored every moment when i heard a new song from this band...It was amazing.Then i found this forum and posted about a ton of shit here... :roll: when i join here it was the releasing of Their law singles i think..2006 rolld in and i managed to hear every prodigy album including Dirchamber sesion, listen the best live recordings there is, went to their gig in Latvia Riga 2006.05.04 and got my head blown away.
The Prodigy not only changed my musical tastes, but they changed my life.Now is the 2007 year...waiting for their new bombs while adoring their old ones.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:15 pm
Interesting stories :)

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:29 pm
User avatarColonelColonelPosts: 938Location: France, ParisJoined: Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:41 am
Very nice story Untitled6. Thanks all to share your experiences. This topic is really cool.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:30 pm
I agree, these stories are interesting :)

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:46 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 1296Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:49 am
FeeL-X wrote:
jetsonik wrote:
Jeez I feel old sometimes..

Prodge guys just look very fine, don't y'all think so too?

lol, no.

erm, first heard no good (bad for you mix) in 1995 or 1994, cant remember anymore. cant say im a fan today, really. i used to be really into it, you know, the whole prodigy image and attitude but its basically just pile of teenage bullshit, if you ask me. i used to download like mad back in 1998 till 2002, like i had to have everything that was ever composed, released or whatever. i fucking craved for his next new beat.

today, the story is a bit different. i dont crave anymore, except for no souvenirs, lol. they kind of lost a big part of what they used to be. i have a different perspective these days anyway then back when I was a teenager. im not that old now, im just 24 but my attitude towards them has changed significantly. im much more critical but thats basically because liam changed from being a perfectionist to being just average. still, im not giving up on the boys, one of the smartest bands that ever existed, thats for sure, and i dont mean that in terms of their lyrics :lol:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:36 am
SergeantSergeantPosts: 435Location: RomaniaJoined: Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:39 am
It was in july '94 i think.anyway it was during the summer of 94 when they were number 1 on mtv european top 20 with the no good video:) i ran the very next day and bought mftjg tape. i was blown away since then. of course i heard prodigy before in 92 or 93 when i bought an audio tape called "techno trax" and had on it everybody in the place and weather experience. but i had no clue who the prodigy were back then :-D

Offline Profile ICQ YIM
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:42 am
SergeantSergeantPosts: 435Location: RomaniaJoined: Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:39 am
ChemicaL wrote:
erm, first heard no good (bad for you mix) in 1995 or 1994, cant remember anymore. cant say im a fan today, really. i used to be really into it, you know, the whole prodigy image and attitude but its basically just pile of teenage bullshit, if you ask me. i used to download like mad back in 1998 till 2002, like i had to have everything that was ever composed, released or whatever. i fucking craved for his next new beat.

today, the story is a bit different. i dont crave anymore, except for no souvenirs, lol. they kind of lost a big part of what they used to be. i have a different perspective these days anyway then back when I was a teenager. im not that old now, im just 24 but my attitude towards them has changed significantly. im much more critical but thats basically because liam changed from being a perfectionist to being just average. still, im not giving up on the boys, one of the smartest bands that ever existed, thats for sure, and i dont mean that in terms of their lyrics :lol:

i know exactly what you mean :) i was a maniac back in 95 till 2003 i guess. But in the end dnb hooked me up and many other subgenres like breakcore and so on....and wtf its like i was waiting for this change.you know, its no good for me to get stuck in a single loop :-D

i'm still into prodigy, but i cant really digest the new stuff...

Offline Profile ICQ YIM
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:50 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 1729Location: HungaryJoined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:53 pm
Well 'The Oracle' your brain produced a real good idea by ask this question and open this topic. Interesting to read different people's different stories about becoming a fan. Maybe we should write a book about it :)