<  PRODIGY QUESTIONS & OPINIONS  ~  Unpopular opinions

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:20 pm
User avatarColonelColonelPosts: 826Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:51 pm
gcx wrote:
So, if The Prodigy sounds like The Prodigy, is that an unpopular opinion?

Who said that? I want The Prodigy to sound like The Prodigy, and luckily 4-5 tracks does that on No Tourists.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:43 pm
User avatarSergeantSergeantPosts: 413Location: Tenerife (fan since 95)Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:53 am
Trawizz wrote:
gcx wrote:

Who said that? I want The Prodigy to sound like The Prodigy, and luckily 4-5 tracks does that on No Tourists.

depending on what type of Prodigy, if we talk about Charly that would be awesome whereas if we talk about Run or Rok-Weiler we have a low quality version of the same artist.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:57 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 2916Location: italyJoined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:44 pm
jonyintheplace wrote:
Trawizz wrote:
gcx wrote:

depending on what type of Prodigy, if we talk about Charly that would be awesome whereas if we talk about Run or Rok-Weiler we have a low quality version of the same artist.

To me, very low quality means Fighter Beat, then just low quality to me is boom boom tap, champions of london, phoenix, under my wheels and similar.

www.myspace.com/thespyral
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:17 pm
User avatarLieutenantLieutenantPosts: 579Location: BulgariaJoined: Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:58 pm
I was listening to some AONO today (only the better tracks) and I believe that if the album included Razor and Trigger instead of Medusa's Path and Shoot Down, it would have been the third best album behind TFOTL and MFTJG.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:11 pm
User avatarColonelColonelPosts: 826Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:51 pm
n/a wrote:
I was listening to some AONO today (only the better tracks) and I believe that if the album included Razor and Trigger instead of Medusa's Path and Shoot Down, it would have been the third best album behind TFOTL and MFTJG.

I did my own AONO with opdated versions, removed Under My Wheels, and added a new mix of BGAT (without Rohypnol chorus), Wake the Fuck up (live remix) after Wake Up Call, The Gun, Gun Reprise, and an edit of Back 2 skool, and Ice as the end track. I do like Medusas Path & the Love Buzz remix (aka Phoenix). I struggled with the idea of getting rid of Action Radar... I should, but I can't yet...

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:53 pm
User avatarLieutenantLieutenantPosts: 579Location: BulgariaJoined: Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:58 pm
Action Radar is one of the best Prodigy tunes in the last 20 years. There isn't a tune that good on No Tourists.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:24 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 2916Location: italyJoined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:44 pm
n/a wrote:
Action Radar is one of the best Prodigy tunes in the last 20 years. There isn't a tune that good on No Tourists.

100% agree

www.myspace.com/thespyral
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:03 pm
GruntGruntPosts: 53Joined: Tue May 12, 2020 5:26 am
Keith Flint's role in the band over the years has been greatly overestimated by the media, fans and popculture, and has nothing to do with his real contribution to the band The Prodigy...
The Prodigy is Liam Howlett.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:40 pm
User avatarCaptainCaptainPosts: 679Joined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:55 pm
Liams production got whack since IMD and the reason he sounded half decent since was thanks to Neil McLellan. No tourists sounds like shit a 13 year old could produce.

AONO is the best prodigy album (to the point that even liams shitty demos sounded ahead of their time, but with Neil’s input it turned into a masterpiece)

XL dropped them

Liam should’ve made AONO PT 2 instead of going full populist

TDIME was mostly ghostwritten that’s why it sounds better than No Tourists.

Liam did fuck all on stage since 94-95 and the more you observe his behavior on video the funnier it gets

Liam is so bad at music it took him a whole year to learn the melody off “release yo delf”

With proper promotion FLINT would’ve been a commercial success and he’d outgrow the prodigy

Liam trying to defend himself after being called out on a forum that all he does live is pres the play button is hilarious and proves the point he did fuck all. Like yeah cool story bro, show us the .als files

No tourists got released so that they could have a reason to go on tour and make money

The reason why IMD has a 4/4 beat is because Justice were popular at the time.

The only good song on TDIME is Medicine and even that is just a few loops

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:33 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 3820Location: USAJoined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:56 pm
Alexx wrote:

Actually, James Rushent, Liam's friend and fellow musician, worked on some IMD tunes, including the title track. James was part of Does It Offend You, Yeah? See tracks "Battle Royale" and "We Are Rockstars," then listen to the drum sound of IMD.

Also, speaking about Justice, in an interview when Cross came out, they stated two albums had a big influence on Cross's sound... Jackson And His Computer Band's Smash and The Prodigy’s Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned.

So, technically, Justice stole Liam's sound, especially the dirty electro style. ;)
They stole the drum sound/sample chopping style from Jackson. Listen to "Hard Tits" for the drum sound and "Utopia" or "Rock On" or "Arpeggio" for their chopped up style.

Anyway, my opinion, No Tourists is the best album they've done since The Fat Of The Land. It sounds like Liam having fun again. The production has room to breathe and not as compressed as TDIME. No Tourists sounds fuller and hits hard. I think it helps that Liam is working with mastering engineer Prash of Engine Earz who works with a lot of rap and R&B artists. He helped bring the fatness back in the final master. TDIME is too squashed.

I would love if Liam gave Prash the original unmastered versions of AONO tracks for Prash to completely master from the ground up. I think he could help give AONO tracks more depth and not the smashed into the red sound the official release has. I believe AONO could sound even better with a proper remaster from the original unmastered tracks.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:11 am
NEOREV wrote:
Alexx wrote:

Actually, James Rushent, Liam's friend and fellow musician, worked on some IMD tunes, including the title track. James was part of Does It Offend You, Yeah? See tracks "Battle Royale" and "We Are Rockstars," then listen to the drum sound of IMD.

Also, speaking about Justice, in an interview when Cross came out, they stated two albums had a big influence on Cross's sound... Jackson And His Computer Band's Smash and The Prodigy’s Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned.

So, technically, Justice stole Liam's sound, especially the dirty electro style. ;)
They stole the drum sound/sample chopping style from Jackson. Listen to "Hard Tits" for the drum sound and "Utopia" or "Rock On" or "Arpeggio" for their chopped up style.

Anyway, my opinion, No Tourists is the best album they've done since The Fat Of The Land. It sounds like Liam having fun again. The production has room to breathe and not as compressed as TDIME. No Tourists sounds fuller and hits hard. I think it helps that Liam is working with mastering engineer Prash of Engine Earz who works with a lot of rap and R&B artists. He helped bring the fatness back in the final master. TDIME is too squashed.

I would love if Liam gave Prash the original unmastered versions of AONO tracks for Prash to completely master from the ground up. I think he could help give AONO tracks more depth and not the smashed into the red sound the official release has. I believe AONO could sound even better with a proper remaster from the original unmastered tracks.

Yeah I know I have the DIOYY record. Yet still very influenced by justice. As for AONO, yeah they’ve mentioned that many times, particularly due to it being written on a laptop. Pretty sure dance was inspired by the way it is. Don’t agree with cross sounding similar to Aono tho.

I think the whole point of Aono is it’s mix, I wouldn’t say mastering had any big impact on its sound, apart from them making final on-site adjustments during that phase. The reason it sounded ahead of its time was how it never pretended to sound like it was made with live instruments. I’ve listened to NT once and could make it past 30 seconds of each track. It just sounds cheap, and not in an intentional way like justice’s AVD (since we’re comparing the two bands)

But cons

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:03 am
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 3820Location: USAJoined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:56 pm
Alexx wrote:
The reason it sounded ahead of its time was how it never pretended to sound like it was made with live instruments.

Hotride and Shoot Down are straight up rock guitar tracks. There's lot of trying to sound like live instruments on AONO. Phoenix's main sample is a guitar track. Wake Up Call and Get Up Get Off are very guitar inspired riffs with Wake Up Call even sampling Slayer. Spitfire has a huge guitar stab. Action Radar is based around a bass guitar riff. Medusa's Path's main sample are Egyptian/Middle Eastern instruments. He also wrote guitar riffy tracks like Razor and Warning during this era. A lot of AONO is about Liam's inspirations/musical upbringing.

The only album I can say that doesn't try to sound like live instruments is Experience. Since then, Liam has always incorporated live instrument inspired parts.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:36 pm
NEOREV wrote:
Alexx wrote:
The reason it sounded ahead of its time was how it never pretended to sound like it was made with live instruments.

Hotride and Shoot Down are straight up rock guitar tracks. There's lot of trying to sound like live instruments on AONO. Phoenix's main sample is a guitar track. Wake Up Call and Get Up Get Off are very guitar inspired riffs with Wake Up Call even sampling Slayer. Spitfire has a huge guitar stab. Action Radar is based around a bass guitar riff. Medusa's Path's main sample are Egyptian/Middle Eastern instruments. He also wrote guitar riffy tracks like Razor and Warning during this era. A lot of AONO is about Liam's inspirations/musical upbringing.

The only album I can say that doesn't try to sound like live instruments is Experience. Since then, Liam has always incorporated live instrument inspired parts.

Yes sorry that’s not what I meant. Of course it’s guitar heavy but the way it’s chopped to fit the grid and the way the album’s mixed make everything sound tight compared to let’s say the almost purposefully sloppy mixes on IMD. And I don’t mean that in a bad way. Sounds very digital. Just love how everything’s in place. Like at this point I even get Under My Wheels. Sure the album has aged, but not as much as the rest. To me. and I know that’s not a popular opinion

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:32 pm
NEOREV wrote:
Alexx wrote:

Btw what are the odds of us joining the forum on the same day

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:09 am
User avatarGruntGruntPosts: 93Location: PolandJoined: Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:51 pm
Well, The best thing on the AONO is, that It's so different, but yeah, the mix could be better, it feels like some loudness war is going on here, and on the Other hand... Jilted is quite quiet, but it makes it more clear at some places.

The best mastered one for me has to be the TFOTL I guess.

My unpopular opinnion:

The Remixed "Your Love" is better