<  PRODIGY QUESTIONS & OPINIONS  ~  I'm actually slightly annoyed.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:45 am
PrivatePrivatePosts: 224Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:57 pm
So, I was having a look at some reviews of this album by the fans and this one screamed out at me. It was as if the guy was actually me and I didn't remember writing the review!

Quote:
I am a long time fan of the Prodigy, so any time they announce new music I have to get it. I have all their albums and a signed Jilted Generation print on my living room wall, which I treasure.

When the Prodigy announced a new album last year I expected great things as I still love and regularly play their last album - The Day is my Enemy and I immediately pre ordered No Tourists as soon as it was announced.

Alarm bells started ringing when they released their first single off the album - Need Some1. I found this track to not be Prodigy at all, in fact more like something you'd hear from Knife Party or Pendulum. Same goes for their follow up single Light Up The Sky.

I did, however, have some hop after hearing their third single from the album - We Live Forever. To me this had hints of Experience about it, and sounded like the old Prodigy I know and love. However I was to be disappointed on receiving the album and giving it a couple of playthroughs and for me it turns out that We Live Forever is the only decent track on the entire album!

I'm not sure what Howlett and co are trying to do with this album but for me, it shows no passion and kind of displays a Prodigy that have run out of ideas - I absolutely despise the track Fight Fire With Fire.

I think there are one, maybe 2 good tracks and then 8 fillers and also, at a run time of only 37 minutes it's so short it feels less like an album and more like an EP.

I will continue to be a fan of the Prodigy and will always buy their music, however No Tourists will not go down as a classic. It's short, uninspired and forgettable and certainly isn't the Prodigy I know and love. Definitely one of the weaker albums, and if I was to rank their main albums in order I would put this at the bottom. Yes, I even prefer Always Outnumbered Never Outgunned to this!

Why am I annoyed?

Because while I admit art and music are subjective, I'm sorry, but Liam's put out a turkey in this album yet so many fans rate it as a great album.

It's not often I won't respect others' opinions, but on this occasion I have to.

If you like this album and rate it highly you're lying to yourself. We Live Forever aside, there is nothing good on this album.

It is filled with filler, dross, rubbish and crap. LUTS is horribly let down by bad mixing, and there are a couple of passable tracks (TBZ, NT) but it's just so far below their every previous album (yes, even AONO) that I'm utterly lost and slightly irritated by any genuine fan of the band who thinks this drivel is at the same level as any previous work.

Even worse, some of you have it as their best or second best?!

It's like, what on earth are you hearing?!

Ok, you may now thoroughly abuse me if you like, I'm not going to change (wrong) opinions with this thread but anyone who's brave enough to admit they agree with me, can get in touch via PM haha.

PS not starting a fight, no issue with any one individual or anything - I'm just depressed by those who rate this as anything other than mince.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:32 am
User avatarMajorMajorPosts: 707Location: PolandJoined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:00 pm
You surely have the right to have your own opinion and post it here, but it's incredibly annoying to read posts like this one because:

-why do you care so much about others opinion? Isn't it a good thing that others like something even if you don't?
-you're not saying anything like "I dislike this album", "I really hate it", you're saying more like, "this album is objectively bad and anyone who thinks otherwise is delusional"
-when people like something, it really hurts to hear "it's shit" from someone else
-even if this album is genuinely bad and we're all lying to ourselves... why is that even wrong and why do you even care? Leave us alone...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:27 am
User avatarSergeantSergeantPosts: 489Location: JupiterJoined: Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:00 pm
Its okay to dislike the album.

I myself have opinions in some the Prodigy tracks that i wont say loudly in the forums because i will get flamed.

So i accept your opinion.

Music taste is more than music, it is how your brain is wired.

I am not saying that it requires a brain to listen to the Prodigy, its more like your style, how you are.

But am i lying to myself if i like this album?

I highly rate (the make-me-instantly-wana-dance rating) Light Up The Sky, We Live Forever, Timebomb Zone, Resonate and Give Me A Signal. Thats 5 out of 10 tracks.

Compare it to AONO, honestly, i only rate Girls and Spitfire as highly rated. 2 out of 12. Other tracks such as Shadow, Back 2 Skool, Razor and First Warning are sadly b-sides :(

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:22 pm
User avatarProdigious ArabPosts: 4204Location: The Dark SideJoined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:22 pm
I understand that you don't like this album (You've talked about it dozens of times in the news section) but you can't just assume that those of us who like the album are lying to ourselves.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:24 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 6512Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:44 am
:boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring:

Last edited by Harbinger on Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:29 pm
User avatarPrivatePrivatePosts: 187Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:10 pm
There's something kind of interesting with the older (more rave oriented) fans hating on the colaboration with Ho99o9...

because that's frankly the most sonically "new" track on the album.

It's Liam taking on the whole "Death Grips" Punk/HipHop aesthetic and doing something with it.
Liam's take on the sound of a younger band.

Just because it's not a record aimed at "you".. doesn't mean it's a bad record.
0 Nostalgia in that track.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:45 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 3820Location: USAJoined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:56 pm
Jesus Danny you just don't fucking stop and continously have to bash people for liking an album you don't. This is why you get attacked on here because you just can't seem to contain yourself from telling everyone that they're wrong and you're right, which makes you come off as a twat. You don't like the album, that is fine, but stop making yourself out to be some sort of expert of all others. I seriously can't believe you had to open a new topic to tell us all for the zillionth time how you hate the album and we're all idiots for liking it. Fuck man, get a hobby or something. Your desperation to prove yourself above all others is showing.

Last edited by NEOREV on Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:47 pm
Total respect for the very decent replies in this thread - I'm sorry I was so strongly worded in the OP and you've all been very reasonable in your responses.

Will say this, I think Skhelllter may have nailed a point I was thinking about:

Is it the case this album was written for the younger fan? The one who wasn't around at the start? The one who didn't grow up with the band?

To me, and a lot of us at my age (I'm 40) this sounds like something some amateur modern act would bake up - but that does seem to appeal to the younger generation and perhaps the band decided to put something out they'd identify with.

So, perhaps it's the generation gap - like your dad calling your music rubbish when you were 14.

Best thing then perhaps would be to make an album that catered for both sides of their fans - the older school like me, and the younger ones?

Just putting it out there.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:48 pm
NEOREV wrote:
Jesus Danny you just don't fucking stop and continously have to bash people for liking an album you don't. This is why you get attacked on here because you just can't seem to contain yourself from telling everyone that they're wrong and you're right, which makes you come off as a twat. You don't like the album, that is fine, but stop making yourself out to be some sort of expert of all others. I seriously can't believe you had to open a new topic to tell us all for the zillionth time how you hate the album and we're all idiots for liking it. Fuck man, get a hobby or something. Your desperation to prove yourself above all others is showing.

Be nice.

PS I don't mind being attacked. I'm too old and ugly to care ;)

You can say what you like about me, others have said worse and I cared even less.

I just know when I hear a turkey. If that makes me a twat not only will I put twat on my tshirt but I'll carry it on a flag which says twat and points an arrow at me :)

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:51 pm
skhelllter wrote:
There's something kind of interesting with the older (more rave oriented) fans hating on the colaboration with Ho99o9...

because that's frankly the most sonically "new" track on the album.

It's Liam taking on the whole "Death Grips" Punk/HipHop aesthetic and doing something with it.
Liam's take on the sound of a younger band.

Just because it's not a record aimed at "you".. doesn't mean it's a bad record.
0 Nostalgia in that track.

I wish it was aimed at me and my generation. That's the band's audience. Always was.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:52 pm
Electronic_Punk® wrote:
I understand that you don't like this album (You've talked about it dozens of times in the news section) but you can't just assume that those of us who like the album are lying to ourselves.

I'm willing to open my eyes to the idea of a generation gap. That the older fans don't like the album and the younger ones do.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:55 pm
sado1 wrote:
You surely have the right to have your own opinion and post it here, but it's incredibly annoying to read posts like this one because:

-why do you care so much about others opinion? Isn't it a good thing that others like something even if you don't?
-you're not saying anything like "I dislike this album", "I really hate it", you're saying more like, "this album is objectively bad and anyone who thinks otherwise is delusional"
-when people like something, it really hurts to hear "it's shit" from someone else
-even if this album is genuinely bad and we're all lying to ourselves... why is that even wrong and why do you even care? Leave us alone...

I actually felt a little guilty here! Sorry man - I don't mean to pummel your music taste into a pulp.

I guess my personal disappointment over the album is overriding a sense of acceptance.

I'm so used to what the band deliver for me that this album just feels wrong to me. And to most of my generation.

So, I am sorry - for those who like it, truly, and who genuinely get a buzz from it, cool - I am sorry I've stomped on you. You go ahead and kick on and play it to your heart's content.

And hopefully LH will maybe do a little something again for my generation in the near future!?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:56 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 3820Location: USAJoined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:56 pm
Danny_G13 wrote:
NEOREV wrote:

Be nice.

That was being nice.

You constantly make posts saying how you can't believe people like this album and they must have no taste to like it. You literally made a thread to tell us how you are annoyed that people like this album.

Guess what? I'm a fan since 1993 and I love this album. It actually moved up to my #3 album behind FOTL and Jilted. So go on, tell me I'm wrong and how it baffles you that I love this album and there must be something wrong with me like you do every other post you make. I know a ton of old school fans who love this album. You know what baffles me? Fans who claim to be old school fans that hate this album. That baffles me.

Play nice? You never played nice. Just shit on people's opinion and then act hurt when you get called out on it. You made this thread to stir the shit so you and a few people who hate the album can relish in your hatred so you can all pat yourselves on your backs and tell each other how right you all are for hating this album. Sorry, I find it sad. You literally made a new thread just to shit more on people who like the album. We don't have to justify why we like to you.

I only found out about this thread from a group of old school fans. The ones you claim who don't like this album, but yet these ones do. They were even like "Jesus, this guy is at it again. He doesn't stop." Sadly, this behavior of berating people who like the album pushed many of these fans from visiting here. But I guess that's what the goal is. Turn this fan forum into a cesspool of hate.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:10 pm
User avatarPrivatePrivatePosts: 187Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:10 pm
Danny_G13 wrote:
Electronic_Punk® wrote:

I'm willing to open my eyes to the idea of a generation gap. That the older fans don't like the album and the younger ones do.

Well. Omen sure generated a lot of younger fans.

Omen sounds a bit Hadouken-ish....

I still don't care for Omen.
(I also don't care for Hadouken).

There's a bit of a generation gap going on, sure...
But the new albums also aren't as good or as genre defining as the first 3.
That's... as objective as can be.

And some experiments with a "new sound" aren't as successfull as others.

Ibiza is trash. Fight Fire with Fire has a much more confident sound.

(Mileage may vary, etc.)

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:27 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 6512Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:44 am
Jeez Danny, you talk a lot of shite.

I'm same age as Liam. Album ranks joint 3rd out of their albums with me.

I'm shocked you're 40. Had you down as a teenager with all your babblings and constant need for attention :roll: