<  PRODIGY QUESTIONS & OPINIONS  ~  The Prodigy inducted into Rock and Roll hall of fame?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:53 am
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 3115Location: LithuaniaJoined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:18 pm
When it's going to happen? They are eligible since 2016. I know it takes time to get nominated but they deserve to be up there alongside with Nine Inch Nails (getting inducted this november), The Cure, Public Enemy and Beastie Boys.

Who crossed electronica and rock so successfully before them?

Would love The Prodigy to be inducted. And someone like Dave Grohl to do the inducting.

Do you think it will ever happen and who do you think would be the best person to do the induction?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:02 am
GeneralGeneralPosts: 1782Joined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 2:52 pm
I don't think it will ever happen as the Rock and Roll hall of fame is American centric. The Prodigy are only known to the mainstream in the US for 'Firestarter', 'Breathe' and 'The Fat of the Land'.

Even in the UK when the media do pieces on bands of the '90s it's all Oasis, Blur and the Spice Girls. The Prodigy never get a mention.

Online Profile
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:07 pm
User avatarGruntGruntPosts: 97Joined: Tue May 15, 2018 11:47 am
James Jupiter wrote:
I don't think it will ever happen as the Rock and Roll hall of fame is American centric. The Prodigy are only known to the mainstream in the US for 'Firestarter', 'Breathe' and 'The Fat of the Land'.

Even in the UK when the media do pieces on bands of the '90s it's all Oasis, Blur and the Spice Girls. The Prodigy never get a mention.

My thoughts exactly.

I have observed the same in my home country in Europe. They originally came from the underground and went back and have stayed there ever since right after TFOTL and the intense touring years after that ...at least if you ask from the national music media. Actually it is this same local music media STILL after all these years and the achievements of the band connects The Prodigy and their music to this disposable euro dance scene in the midst of 90s which could not be further from the truth as we all here know.

Despite of all these acts of understatement I think the band have gained all the recognition worth while.
And because of it they and us need to focus only on their incredible music - NOT the trophies and acknowledgments yet to receive.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:32 pm
Liam has said in the past he feels The Prodigy don't get the respect they deserve from the media for their achievements and he's correct. Bands with much less success, longevity or cultural impact are lauded.

I've no interest in what awards a band wins. The Chemical Brothers win Grammy awards pretty much every time they release something. E.g. "Best Rock Instrumental Performance" (Block Rockin' Beats), "Best Alternative Music Album" (Dig Your Own Hole), "Best Dance Recording" (Galvanize), etc. The very name of those awards are ridiculous/niche. In most of these music awards (especially American awards) each category of music only competes with the 'same' type of music. Award shows are just a night out for the music industry.

Online Profile
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:09 pm
James Jupiter wrote:
Liam has said in the past he feels The Prodigy don't get the respect they deserve from the media for their achievements and he's correct. Bands with much less success, longevity or cultural impact are lauded.

I've no interest in what awards a band wins. The Chemical Brothers win Grammy awards pretty much every time they release something. E.g. "Best Rock Instrumental Performance" (Block Rockin' Beats), "Best Alternative Music Album" (Dig Your Own Hole), "Best Dance Recording" (Galvanize), etc. The very name of those awards are ridiculous/niche. In most of these music awards (especially American awards) each category of music only competes with the 'same' type of music. Award shows are just a night out for the music industry.

Yeah, thats true I've read those Liam's thoughts somewhere and they were just like that. He wants them to be a piece of British heritage or something like that.

BUT also he and the whole band have said all along that they don't do their thing just to be famous and hailed by the media or the cream of the music industry. They just want the true respect and recognition from the street level. And I think they've gained just that ...BIG time! So I say: let's be all happy about that and let others fetch their trophies etc. to collect dust somewhere.

BTW. I truly like Chemical Brother specially around the time Dig your hole, Exit Planet Dust and Surrender were released.. But since then they have entered into this kind of weird "salon eligible" level where everything they do is widely praised by critics and media all around the world even if their music has truly turned to be this kind of bland and disposable garbage at times. I think (and of course HOPE) the Prodigy will never be like that. They will pack their bags for good rather than going bland. There will always be a group of critics and music industry big shots who dislikes them no matter what they do. And that is the beauty of it all, isn't it! :lol:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:37 am
User avatarA.K.A. feelxPosts: 3056Location: Montréal, QCJoined: Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:32 pm
James Jupiter wrote:

I think it is a 'Big Label' vs Indie label thing

being on an indie label (especially since they were Cooking Vinyl) had the upside to allow them to work the way they want and to the pace they want, but had the downside of not having the proper promotion methods and power to be heard in North America. I knew Prodigy albums were coming out because I am an hardcore fan and kept up to date, certainly not because media told me. I even sent a message to a now-defunct local music channel that IMD was coming, and only after I told them the news appeared on their website. at least with XL I can name a few bands that are signed to it (Radiohead, M.I.A., Kaytranada). with Cooking Vinyl I can't name any artist that are signed to them off the top of my head

Chemical Brothers have always been with Virgin/EMI, which, from my impressions, are bigger names

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:51 am
User avatarA.K.A. feelxPosts: 3056Location: Montréal, QCJoined: Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:32 pm
Lastu wrote:
I truly like Chemical Brother specially around the time Dig your hole, Exit Planet Dust and Surrender were released.. But since then they have entered into this kind of weird "salon eligible" level where everything they do is widely praised by critics and media all around the world even if their music has truly turned to be this kind of bland and disposable garbage at times.

it is kind of odd with Chemical Brothers. on their last album No Geography, they released Free Yourself, which in my opinion is the most "Paint by number" chemical track ever, sounds bland and like it could have been released anytime in the past 15 years. but on the other side, they also released We've Got To Try, which the most impressive track I've heard from them in a while. it combines swag hip hop beats, acidic 303, devoted female vocals, vintage melody and choruses... all in 3 minutes

I don't know how they manage to go to both extremes, but they do

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:12 pm
feelthy wrote:
Lastu wrote:
I truly like Chemical Brother specially around the time Dig your hole, Exit Planet Dust and Surrender were released.. But since then they have entered into this kind of weird "salon eligible" level where everything they do is widely praised by critics and media all around the world even if their music has truly turned to be this kind of bland and disposable garbage at times.

it is kind of odd with Chemical Brothers. on their last album No Geography, they released Free Yourself, which in my opinion is the most "Paint by number" chemical track ever, sounds bland and like it could have been released anytime in the past 15 years. but on the other side, they also released We've Got To Try, which the most impressive track I've heard from them in a while. it combines swag hip hop beats, acidic 303, devoted female vocals, vintage melody and choruses... all in 3 minutes

I don't know how they manage to go to both extremes, but they do

Yes that typical feature of everything they nowadays do has become at the same time their blessing and a curse. I personally like variety inside an album or in a EP and so on. But if the plot is repeatedly lost during that journey which album is supposed to be presenting, I start to lose interest also with those tracks which are interesting, inventive and so on... For instance I like the track No geography. It represents to me some kind of nostalgic throw back to the early 80's or 70' in a cool way. That poem sample really is hypnotic and clever with the sound mat its laid upon. But almost all the rest of that new album doesn't do anything for me ..with few rare track exceptions. And so I've lost interest for the new album quite soon it got released.

So yes, I truly agree with you that they can produce straight hits and total misses at the same time ..and usually in one release only.

Oops! Maybe we should continue on this subject in some other non-Prodigy-related forum section before someone here on the forum gets annoyed. If already someone has: my apologies.. :chill:

Ps. That video for We've got to try is funny in all its diversity :lol:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:46 pm
feelthy wrote:
James Jupiter wrote:

being on an indie label (especially since they were Cooking Vinyl) had the upside to allow them to work the way they want and to the pace they want, but had the downside of not having the proper promotion methods and power to be heard in North America. I knew Prodigy albums were coming out because I am an hardcore fan and kept up to date, certainly not because media told me. I even sent a message to a now-defunct local music channel that IMD was coming, and only after I told them the news appeared on their website. at least with XL I can name a few bands that are signed to it (Radiohead, M.I.A., Kaytranada). with Cooking Vinyl I can't name any artist that are signed to them off the top of my head

Chemical Brothers have always been with Virgin/EMI, which, from my impressions, are bigger names

It's often said, to 'break' America bands/artists have to go on tour for months on end across the whole of the USA. A lot of artists/bands can't be bothered with that. They could do a UK tour which goes to most of the major cities (even if it wasn't to your nearest city you could probably get to your closest gig with a 1 to 3 hour drive) in two weeks without getting on a plane. The time and effort required to get 'known' in the US was huge (I'm talking about the pre-social media days).

I've read comments from people from the USA describe The Prodigy as a "two hit wonder". To those people they probably were but they have no comprehension of the popularity outside the USA (or interest).

I doubt it would make much difference which record label The Prodigy were signed to as far as success in the USA goes.

Online Profile
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:21 am
User avatarCaptainCaptainPosts: 679Joined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:55 pm
Looool

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:26 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 1015Joined: Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:29 pm
James Jupiter wrote:
feelthy wrote:
James Jupiter wrote:

It's often said, to 'break' America bands/artists have to go on tour for months on end across the whole of the USA. A lot of artists/bands can't be bothered with that. They could do a UK tour which goes to most of the major cities (even if it wasn't to your nearest city you could probably get to your closest gig with a 1 to 3 hour drive) in two weeks without getting on a plane. The time and effort required to get 'known' in the US was huge (I'm talking about the pre-social media days).

I've read comments from people from the USA describe The Prodigy as a "two hit wonder". To those people they probably were but they have no comprehension of the popularity outside the USA (or interest).

I doubt it would make much difference which record label The Prodigy were signed to as far as success in the USA goes.

Yeah makes me ashamed to be an American an ive been wanting to move to Europe for over 10 years just can't afford it!