<  PRODIGY QUESTIONS & OPINIONS  ~  Any pics of Liams stage setup from 96-97?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:03 pm
User avatarCaptainCaptainPosts: 679Joined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:55 pm
I’m particularly interested in the column. Like I know it’s a taboo and no one talks about it. But I was always curious what he would press down there to launch the next track. You know how he leans down there presses something and within 3 seconds the track would start? That. I’ve seen pics of the Akai samplers, but is there some natural start delay or was it programmed that way? In late 97 he’d press something down on the first row of keyboards in front of him.
After all these years I’d be interesting to find out what mechanism that was.

And I’m not talking about tracks he played with loops off his W-30 eg. poison, Narayan beats.

Did anyone figure this out?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:40 am
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 1014Location: SpainJoined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 12:01 am
Alexx wrote:
I’m particularly interested in the column. Like I know it’s a taboo and no one talks about it. But I was always curious what he would press down there to launch the next track. You know how he leans down there presses something and within 3 seconds the track would start? That. I’ve seen pics of the Akai samplers, but is there some natural start delay or was it programmed that way? In late 97 he’d press something down on the first row of keyboards in front of him.
After all these years I’d be interesting to find out what mechanism that was.

And I’m not talking about tracks he played with loops off his W-30 eg. poison, Narayan beats.

Did anyone figure this out?

Here you can find a list of all Liam's equipment, maybe this could help you

Code:
https://theprodigy.info/equipment/

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:22 am
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 2949Location: woppity woppity woppityJoined: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:33 am
Alexx wrote:
I was always curious what he would press down there to launch the next track. You know how he leans down there presses something and within 3 seconds the track would start? That.

IIRC he would be cueing up DAT tapes of backing tracks. Most of his live performances consisted of him ad-libbing synth riffs and samples over the top of the tracks.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:27 pm
User avatarCaptainCaptainPosts: 679Joined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:55 pm
Aquila wrote:
Alexx wrote:
I was always curious what he would press down there to launch the next track. You know how he leans down there presses something and within 3 seconds the track would start? That.

IIRC he would be cueing up DAT tapes of backing tracks. Most of his live performances consisted of him ad-libbing synth riffs and samples over the top of the tracks.

Well playing minefields with the vocal intact while tapping a few keys on the TB or playing 3 samples off crystal fist over firestarter has got to be the most avant-garde live performance ever.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:36 pm
User avatarGruntGruntPosts: 93Location: PolandJoined: Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:51 pm
Liam said somewhere, that he always used to have some safety drumloopa on his W30, so if his finger simply slipped off, which happened all the time, he could always drop the safety loop, or something, you know, you have to be clever, while using those type of live sample play