<  PRODIGY QUESTIONS & OPINIONS  ~  INVADERS MUST DIE REMIXES - RSD 23 (thoughts and opinions?)

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 2:20 pm
User avatarColonelColonelPosts: 826Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:51 pm
I have not really seen any reviews or opinions of this compilation yet. This is my thought of this:

For me, this is another half lazy and not-so-exciting release from Mr. Howlett. Once again a missed opportunity to put something new, unreleased and exciting on. For the price of the item, he could easily have made a double vinyl collection, but instead he puts on already released tracks + 1 new remix. A clearly overprised release to add to the collection, of the most boring part of the era, of The Prodigy.

1. Omen (PENGSHUI Remix) - Exclusive to this release, which is one of the better remixes, if you ask me. Not too far away from the original track. Sounds more like a rework, than a remix, to me. Pengshui just made the track more brutal. No harm done here.

2. Invaders Must Die (Chase & Status Remix) - Already released on the Omen 12'' single. A typical d&b/dubstep track, which we heard all before. Is this sound still a thing, really?

3. Mescaline - First time on vinyl. If you have a bad day, put this track on, and it will get a whole lot worse. Liam made this track so brutal and noisy, that it is impossible to enjoy. He should have put on the beta version instead, which was a proper bangin' Prodigy track, without all that ruckus, more melodic parts, better arrangement. Maybe the chant sample was a problem, because of the copyright, but he could have released this instrumental instead. That would have been exclusive.

4. Wild West - First time on vinyl and also the best track from ''The Lost Beats'' EP.

5. Take Me To The Hospital (Live) - I have no idea why Liam puts another live version of this track, on this compilation. We got it on ''The World's On Fire - Live'', in a way better quality aswell, than this one. No one wants to hear live tracks, unless you experience them in real life, or see a HQ quality show on the screen. Please no more live tracks!

6. Warrior's Dance (Benga Remix) - A terrible dubstep remix, we already got on the 12'' vinyl, from the single. Dubstep has been dead for 10+ years, why add it on a 2023 release?

7. Take Me To The Hospital (Josh Homme & Liam H's Wreckage Mix) - First time on vinyl, but it is a terrible remix. I never liked this one. It is dull and boring, and it sounds like the hangover version of the original.

8. The Big Gundown / Comanche. First time on vinyl aswell. The second best song from ''The Lost Beats'' EP, I think. I could easily have done without this track. But fair enough. A lot of you guys like this.

9. Invaders Must Die (Yuksek Remix) - Another remix that does not do much, for the sound of The Prodigy. This is a typical french touch house mix. It is alright, but would have wanted something unheard.

10. Thunder (Arveene & Misk's Storm-Warning Remix). First time on vinyl, and this is actually one of my favourite remixes, from the Invaders era. I struggle to find out what the genre is. Acid Electro? Dunno... Obviously not as good as the original, which was one of the best tracks of Invaders album, but it is a decent remix.

4.5/10

If I could have compiled this release, It would have looked more liked this:

SIDE A
01. Invaders must die [South Central Remix]
02. Omen [Pengshui Remix]
03. Take me to the hospital [Streetlife DJ's Remix]
04. Warrior's dance [Hadouken! Remix]

SIDE B
05. World's on fire [Demo Mix]
06. Thunder [LH Live Remix] - The version played at Roseland NYC '09. Not the dubstep mix.
07. Unstoppable ['Mescaline' Demo]
08. Colours [Alternate Mix]

SIDE C
09. The Big Gundown (Comanche)
10. ''Demo played at Zane Lowe''
11. Wild West
12. Shadow [Chris Chudley Remix]

SIDE D
13. Thunder [Tiga Remix]
14. Warrior's dance [Vicarious Bliss Remix]
15. Invaders must die [Leeroy Thornhill Remix]
16. Thunder [Arveen & Misk's Storm Warning Remix]