<  PRODIGY QUESTIONS & OPINIONS  ~  Nasty - discuss

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:38 pm
User avatarColonelColonelPosts: 894Joined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:45 am
ok, so i started a shitstorm in the other thread by saying liam isnt a notch above alot of producers at the moment...and i stand by that as being true. but thats not me bashing the band or liam, its just what I see...yes thats an opinion. shock horror!!

i do think that some people would support the band no matter what they put out and they would declare it the greatest thing to ever happen to mankind. i absolutely totally respect that, if it means that much to someone then who am I to say its wrong for them to do that?

however, the second anyone has a controversial albeit honest opinion, the knives come out. its rather funny, its like fishing!

everyone is entitled to their opinion about my music...and others too..rip it apart all you like. but it still does not change the fact that liam sounds...pedestrian. all of that AWOL/Jetfighter stuff i heard, sounded tired...like a producer with no direction..and for him to then say on the radio that it didnt make the cut but nasty did...well it sort of didnt make sense to me..

anyway, i would be interested in peoples _opinions_ in regards to the record. surely I cannot be the only one who thinks this is below Prodigy standards? (and i must state, its NOT A BAD TRACK...just not what i was expecting...)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:43 pm
User avatarColonelColonelPosts: 812Location: Illinois, USAJoined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:22 pm
In my opinion, it's just one song and Liam has a recent history of not releasing the best track first (if ever).

IMD to me was incredible and I still listen to it all the time. But, keep in mind, I absolutely hate most new EDM, especially dubstep (which is just a watered down ripoff of old school breaks/breakbeat IMO).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:46 pm
Smokey wrote:
In my opinion, it's just one song and Liam has a recent history of not releasing the best track first (if ever).

IMD to me was incredible and I still listen to it all the time. But, keep in mind, I absolutely hate most new EDM, especially dubstep (which is just a watered down ripoff of old school breaks/breakbeat IMO).

i should probably state, that my opinion here is based upon the stuff ive heard from the live shows...ive heard most of the new tracks in one form or another but not all the little different variations...i downloaded a rar full of live stuff from here at the end of like,..2012??! whatevers on there basically..

and then this track too. kind of all has a similar vibe to me.

and once again, i will repeat myself by saying i have higher hopes for the rest of the record..but, i dont expect the template to wildly vary from nasty.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:47 pm
User avatarColonelColonelPosts: 971Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:10 am
i wanted something dirty, hard hitting. check.
something fresh. check.
no repetitive shit: check.

i LOVE nasty.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:48 pm
User avatarColonelColonelPosts: 812Location: Illinois, USAJoined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:22 pm
tomlad....

honest question as I've been MIA here for the past few years thanks to work...

How much from this album have they actually played live? I thought most were just songs that from the looks of things will be b-sides or binned all together?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:49 pm
GeneralGeneralPosts: 1006Location: SlovakiaJoined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:18 pm
:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:51 pm
Smokey wrote:
tomlad....

honest question as I've been MIA here for the past few years thanks to work...

How much from this album have they actually played live? I thought most were just songs that from the looks of things will be b-sides or binned all together?

same mate, up until last couple of weeks i think i visited here a handful of times. however i think theyve played maybe, 4 or 5? someone else will be able to tell you the correct number however ive heard stuff like AWOL and Jetfighter (which, has a beautiful lyric "celebrate the noise maker"..that i DO like!!!) and erm..dogbite maybe? cant remember. AWOL has a very 'stick in your head' sort of chorus.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:55 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 1113Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:05 am
AWOL and Jetfighter arent groundbreaking, but this shit isnt it neither. I rather have AWOL or Jetfighter than this Omen v2

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:56 pm
aren't AWOL and Jetfighter not on this album? Were they re-named?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:10 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 2860Location: Bristol, UKJoined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:58 pm
Smokey wrote:
aren't AWOL and Jetfighter not on this album? Were they re-named?

Liam said on the radio that the tracks Firefighter and AWOL didn't make the cut, so I imagine they've been dropped entirely.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:11 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 2860Location: Bristol, UKJoined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:58 pm
Firefighter lmao, damn auto correct. JETfighter.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:16 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 2669Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:04 pm
JimbQ wrote:
Firefighter lmao, damn auto correct. JETfighter.

I dont like Jetfighter so fuck it... im happy but why no Awol? Good bonus / bside track ;)

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:17 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 2917Location: italyJoined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:44 pm
i think that some parts of jet fighter, like its beats will be in some of he album trax.

www.myspace.com/thespyral
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:27 pm
User avatarModeratorModeratorPosts: 4789Location: Wolverhampton, UKJoined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:52 pm
This was pretty much evrything i wanted, i love it! It was missing one thing.... More eagle break.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:27 pm
SergeantSergeantPosts: 478Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:38 am
As for Nasty - I partly agree, it's not that all that great. My expectations were low to medium low, so I've been somewhat pleased. I really dug it the first time round, but after a couple of times listening to it it grew old quickly. It doesn't have that much staying power, partly because it's mainly loud & obnoxious, not fine tuned and meticulously produced and partly because the drum sound is sooooo outdated. That fucking mushy snare is the stuff of my nightmares. Well, it's better than all the white noise shite we've had on IMD, but it's still fluffly and punchless as whatnot.

Also, the whole beat is kinda empty and unfunky. There's a ton of breaky details missing, for my taste. I know the breakbeat-times are kinda gone, but COME ON! A little bit of shuffle, a tiny ghost note, a HINT of a flam, something like that won't hurt your machine-like beat. It's definitely missing the soul and the funk in the drums, something which was never done by anyone else as good as by Liam himself (decades ago).

But I do dig the sound of the synths, though. Much better than on all IMD. More details, love the distortion (did he get his SE-70's back??) and overall just better arrangements than on IMD. LOVE that bridge and also the "tourist" part.

BGAT was a better single than this. Still, it's not really bad either. As someone here put it: "It's okay for a Liam track". That sums it up.

Last edited by Ekko on Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile