<  PRODIGY QUESTIONS & OPINIONS  ~  Nasty - discuss

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:11 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 2415Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:33 pm
untitled6 wrote:
- people need to stop saying "after 6 years". that's a stupid thing to say. you know well liam didn't sit and write this tune for 6 years. the real producing for this album began 2 years ago.

- people need to stop saying it's omen.. nasty don't even have the same beat, the beat is more from his plan b remix here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJIbGS4wI_s. it's really more piranha then omen with the spooky whistle elements

Yes IT IS 6 years. Maybe its 2 years of production process, but its 6 years of planning, writting and gaining inspiration and experience.

People comapring it with omen and some other IMD tracks because production technique and style is completely the same.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:12 pm
User avatarCorporalCorporalPosts: 353Joined: Tue May 26, 2009 4:26 pm
I think the overall process for this album was like 2 years tops.

On that XFM interview Liam said that Nasty was done really quickly. I mean, they'd done the vocals and the track to some point but he shelved it for some time. Then he took it for finishing, made beats for it, and hear we have it. I reckon it was one of the last tracks that got written before mastering because I think I heard him say September at some point...

It's a pretty basic Prodigy track, not super awesome but good anyway. First listen I didn't dig that much but it has grown on me. Not the most memorable track though, might get bored of it before the album comes out. I'm sure the album will hold the best treats. Mainly it's the kick and snare that sound mediocre, the melodies are very fun and catchy in Nasty. Liam is the man who created some of the most bad-ass analogue beats in music history, so a beat like this is kind of dissapointing. The kick and snare are so loud that all the other details get lost. It could benefit from more shuffle.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:50 pm
User avatarPrivatePrivatePosts: 178Location: GermanyJoined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:44 pm
Well guys, I can't see how an old Prodigy fan can say something positive about this track. I grew up with their music, with MFTJG and TFTL and what I loved at most was the uniqueness of each of their tracks and each of their albums. Is Nasty unique? My answer ist that unique would be the last thing Nasty could be. It couldn't be more IMDish for me. It's even much more IMDish than Omen.

I'm writing my comment now, after 2 days of listening the track. I wanted to give it a time, but what can the time change actually. I couldnt more agree with that:
Yeah Geil wrote:
nasty is catchy, generic, and repetitive, ...

I'm dissapointed, because 6 years is a lot of time. And don't start the defending modus explaining that Liam has created the album just in the last 2 years. Every good musician is always writing music. It seems Nasty is one of the best things Liam has written in these last 6 years, otherwise it would have not been included. What about the fact that this is their first single.. Erm...

Let's hope that the rest of the album will be much better.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:04 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 2669Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:04 pm
freeestyler wrote:
I'm dissapointed, because 6 years is a lot of time. And don't start the defending modus explaining that Liam has created the album just in the last 2 years. Every good musician is always writing music. It seems Nasty is one of the best things Liam has written in these last 6 years, otherwise it would have not been included. What about the fact that this is their first single.. Erm...

Let's hope that the rest of the album will be much better.

"simple and direct" Liam siad this about Nasty track ;) For sure we will hear outstanding, fresh, awesome tracks on the new album.

For me this one is the example that he is still The Master (stupid 15 seconds but better this than nothing)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6joMJE685g

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:31 pm
User avatarLieutenantLieutenantPosts: 510Location: New York CityJoined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:43 pm
Nightmare wrote:

For me this one is the example that he is still The Master (stupid 15 seconds but better this than nothing)

I hope so, but even the middle riff in Nasty was nice outside of the song, in the song it feels out of place.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:10 pm
User avatarCaptainCaptainPosts: 611Location: IrelandJoined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:13 pm
Nightmare wrote:

I am really hoping there is more of this kind of stuff on the album, lovin this snippet!!!

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:37 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 2744Location: ItalyJoined: Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:58 pm
I have to admit, Spor remix ruined Nasty for me.
Listening to Nasty for the first time I thought: 'isn't the track supposed to be faster than this? too slow, where the violence Liam?'

But then came in my mind a radio program i was listening to Radio Deejay back in the IMD era. the speaker was like: ' people asking us to play new prodigy material but have you heard it? then he played like 10 seconds of Omen, and pressed STOP sayihg "I can't play this thing live, it's too violent, we are a commercial radio, maroon 5 is good for us not the Prodigy"

So my guess is Nasty has been made for the radio play worldwide.

When i firsT heard IMD single i was like "dammit!" fuck you Laim all you have after the AONO shit is an instrumental piece?

Then i had to listed IMD album and repent. IMD IS GREAT.

New album direction is good, can't wait to hear "keep the sunlight off"... ahem, I mean Invisible Sun

And what the reaggae voice say in Nasty? about in the middle?

"i ATE NO TOURISTS" ?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:40 pm
User avatarSergeantSergeantPosts: 422Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:31 pm
BRAINKILLER wrote:

"i ATE NO TOURISTS" ?
I ain't no tourist. I think it's voice of Brother Culture. This non-English accent looks like him.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:45 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 1409Location: AnywhereJoined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:12 pm

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:46 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 1304Location: RomâniaJoined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:58 am
BRAINKILLER wrote:
I have to admit, Spor remix ruined Nasty for me.
Listening to Nasty for the first time I thought: 'isn't the track supposed to be faster than this? too slow, where the violence Liam?'

But then came in my mind a radio program i was listening to Radio Deejay back in the IMD era. the speaker was like: ' people asking us to play new prodigy material but have you heard it? then he played like 10 seconds of Omen, and pressed STOP sayihg "I can't play this thing live, it's too violent, we are a commercial radio, maroon 5 is good for us not the Prodigy"

So my guess is Nasty has been made for the radio play worldwide.

When i firsT heard IMD single i was like "dammit!" fuck you Laim all you have after the AONO shit is an instrumental piece?

Then i had to listed IMD album and repent. IMD IS GREAT.

New album direction is good, can't wait to hear "keep the sunlight off"... ahem, I mean Invisible Sun

"i ATE NO TOURISTS" ?

To me Omen is very radio friendly, you can easily sing along the chorus to it. When I first heard it I assumed it would be the "hit" of the album that would bring lots of new fans. I find Nasty not so radio friendly, but indeed it's somehow drags along.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:28 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 1349Location: Manchester, EnglandJoined: Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:32 am
I've listened to this on the radio (6 music) about 3 times now... every time I slightly cringe as it just doesn't sound like a Prodigy on fire, one person described it as 'Shouty with nothing to shout about' which sums it up well.

I'm all up for power, noise and aggression but I could hear that in tracks like AWOL... this just seems glued together with no real direction other than to be loud.

And those lyrics are pretty weak, Triple X Rated especially but then if you're an 18 year old kid into EDM in the US this might be the best record you've ever heard.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:56 pm
User avatarPrivatePrivatePosts: 191Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:27 pm
If I hear good so in the lyrics is no "i ATE NO TOURISTS" or other tourists :)
I think it is "I ain't notorious"

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:41 pm
User avatarA.K.A. feelxPosts: 3056Location: Montréal, QCJoined: Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:32 pm
lukuc wrote:
If I hear good so in the lyrics is no "i ATE NO TOURISTS" or other tourists :)
I think it is "I ain't notorious"

I'm pretty sure it's "I ain't no tourist"

but my signature is a wink at the other perceived lyric

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:01 am
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 2916Location: italyJoined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:44 pm
omen is radio friendly, but let's speak frankly, prodigy are not radio friendly. As Bk said, radio will always prefer stuff like maroon 5 rather than prodigy and this is actually what i love about the prodigy. As I already said in some posts, I would wait a bit before to get on a conclusion about nasty, but i can already say that i prefer the sound of nasty than the one of imd and omen, which was sometimes too cheesy and poppy in my opinion.

www.myspace.com/thespyral
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:10 am
ColonelColonelPosts: 853Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:31 pm
raggedflag wrote:

Uh what did it do? You got a gf after you shaved and went to potmaking class?

Offline Profile