<  PRODIGY QUESTIONS & OPINIONS  ~  First single all time ratings.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:17 pm
User avatarModeratorModeratorPosts: 2210Location: Oslo, NorwayJoined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:48 pm
"Smaken er som baken. Noen har mye og noen har lite."

I saw someone post somewhere that in general The Prodigy release tracks as first singes that are weaker compared to many other tracks on the follow up album, and thus one should not worry if one doesn't like Nasty.

This made me think: "yeah, that sounds about right".

Here's my prioritized order of singles from best to "worst". Feel free to share your own!

1) Charly (Alley Cat Mix)
2) Girls
3) Firestarter
4) Invaders Must Die
5) Nasty
6) One Love

I'd rate MFTJG as my favorite album, but the first single is my least favorite.

(WEL and BGAT are excluded since they were not included on any follow-up album.)

...there might be a topic like this already, but I didn't find one.

:twisted:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:32 pm
User avatarMajorMajorPosts: 707Location: PolandJoined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:00 pm
To be honest, I am not a huge fan of most of those tracks (can't say yet whether I will like Nasty in the long term or not), but if I had to prioritize them, it'd be something like this:
1) One Love - original mix kicks ass
2) Charly - the legend, plus best of the list to dance to :D
3) Firestarter - I heard it too many times for my life already, but obviously deserves this place
4) Nasty - this one gives me just enough hopes for the album. Not too much, not too few.
5) Girls - it's a proper track, but not in my style I guess. I prefer More Girls while we're at that
6) IMD - when I heard it in 2009, I really started to doubt the album would be any good.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:14 pm
User avatarCorporalCorporalPosts: 320Location: italyJoined: Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:59 pm
1) Charly - legend
2) Firestarter - legend
3) Nasty - solid
4) One love - maybe too experience-like
5) IMD - sound already heard
6) Girls - bad

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:51 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 1007Location: Atomic WastelandJoined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:26 am
nice post!

1. Girls - because it was the 1st single I've been waiting for (well 7 years) and it was so fucking awesomly DIFFERENT
2. Firestarter - one of those 1st fucking tunes which got me into the prodigy
3. Charly (Alley Cat Mix) - best times, so pure
4. One Love - just crazy man
5. Nasty - I like it but not admire it
6. Invaders Must Die - I almost sat and cried, really really bad

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:04 am
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 1225Location: Lisbon, PortugalJoined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:39 am
Since we only have one single from TDIME I choose not to include it in the list.
This lists is my choice of weak singles from each era.

Wind It Up (Rewound) - I just prefer the album version.
One Love
Firestarter
Hotride - Its good but not a strong track.
Invaders Must Die

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:44 am
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 1304Location: RomâniaJoined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:58 am
FinalX wrote:
Since we only have one single from TDIME I choose not to include it in the list.

One Love
Firestarter
Invaders Must Die

But it says first single opinion so Nasty being the first single from the new album you can still have an opinion on it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:52 am
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 1304Location: RomâniaJoined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:58 am
1) Firestarter (classic Prodigy, the very definition of the band's music and philosophy)

2) One Love (break through sound, the white label Liam put out and the reaction of the scene who did not knew who made it makes this an awesome track)

3) Girls (fresh to my ears even after 10 years, sounded powerful and strange back then)

4) Charly (Alley Cat Mix) (this one ended an era, good track)

5) Nasty (average, still rockin', Prodigy all the way)

6) Invaders Must Die (worst single, weak, dated from start, it tried to sound like a different band, pointless).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:59 am
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 1225Location: Lisbon, PortugalJoined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:39 am
Plain_John wrote:
FinalX wrote:

One Love
Firestarter
Invaders Must Die

But it says first single opinion so Nasty being the first single from the new album you can still have an opinion on it.

My bad as I didn't read that part considering I've put Wind It Up in there...

Ok, for my revisited list:

Best to worst:

Charly
One Love
Firestarter
Girls
Invaders Must Die
Nasty

Making this list I've just realized, to me, their first singles are getting "worst" each new album...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:10 am
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 2534Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:54 pm
Easy:

1 - Firestarter - this track made the band HUGE and was one of the most important and influencial tunes of the 90s. Nuff said.

2 - Girls - at first I could not believe that's The Prodigy - especially after the rock based tracks they used to play before releasing AONO (Nuclear, Trigger, BGAT etc) but it's a really really fresh and cool track which added a new dimension to their sound

3 - One Love - definitely not one of the best tracks on MFTJG but still it's so dope..maybe it's the nostalgia maybe it's the love for that pure electronic sound of the early 90s but for me this tune never gets old

4 - Invaders Must Die - I was a bit disappointed when this came out cause it sounded like Pendulum plus I was expecting World's On Fire as first single.. but after it grew on me and it's a real bomb when played live

5 - Nasty - well this is one of the worst tracks by The Prodigy. I really cannot believe how boring it sounds - there are no surprises, no fresh ideas, no new fresh sounding beats and sounds. It's like a live track made in 1 month. Nothing more. I hate to say such things when I've been waiting for a new single for so long and especially when the expectations are so high. At least all the other tracks we've heard live and all the snippets on FB and twitter from the upcoming album sound damn good! :)