<  MOVIES & DVD  ~  the master

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 9:25 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 3116Location: LithuaniaJoined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:18 pm

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 8:37 am
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 1388Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:19 pm
Paul Thomas Anderson is one the best directors working today so no doubt it's going to be good. But how good it is remains to be seen. Apparently the preview footage made quite an impression in Cannes yesterday and the teaser looks very promising.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:04 am
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 3116Location: LithuaniaJoined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:18 pm

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:17 am
'The Master' Actor Barlow Jacobs Says The Film Is "Epic"

Now I have to ask about your part in "The Master." I'm sure you're not privy to tell me a lot. But what can you tell me about your role in the film?

It was amazing. Becoming an actor in your head you make this list of directors you want to work with. Somebody like Paul Thomas Anderson is at the top of my list. It was a huge honor to get to work with him. When you step onto one of his sets, you know that you're going to be working with the best at every level of production. I think it's going to be a super, super powerful film.

So who do you play?

I'm trying to be very careful about what I'm allowed to say. I play a young powerful lawyer in the film...in Philadelphia. That's all about all I feel comfortable saying.

Is it a movie about Scientology?

I can't say! I will say that obviously with this cast -- I feel like everybody just gave phenomenal performances. I cannot wait for it to come out in October and see how people respond to it. It's epic.

Now you've never worked on anything so tight lipped. What is it like to be a part of something like this, that has this level of secrecy surrounding it?

For me it's just more about being respectful of the people who made it. For me it's just exciting being a part of something that's just so big. It's the biggest thing I've ever been a part of. Laura Dern -- getting to work with her; I've admired her forever. I remember my first day on set where I was having dialogue and there's Philip Seymor Hoffman, Amy Adams, Laura Dern and Joaquin Phoenix -- you go into it and you just sit there going, "What is happening?!"

Are we excited yet? 105 more days to go...

In case you missed it The Weinstein Company set up a Facebook page for "The Master" though nothing is up yet, you may still want to 'Like' it for future reference.

http://cigsandredvines.blogspot.com/201 ... lm-is.html

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:22 pm
the official theatrical trailer and first poster released

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJ1O1vb9AUU

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:29 pm
the master gets an R rating !

Quote:
Probably fairly obvious to anyone who has seen Paul's previous films but "The Master" has also been rated R. The naughty bits are for "sexual content, graphic nudity and language" according to Box Office Mojo (via @angel_glands). This also means that the film has been completed and is (in theory) ready to be screened...

86 more days.

http://cigsandredvines.blogspot.com/201 ... ted-r.html

Scientologists Reportedly Unhappy With 'The Master'

Quote:
A while back we heard that Tom Cruise (who has remained friends with PTA since "Magnolia") had been shown "The Master" and that he "had issues" with it. Yesterday, in light of his recent divorce, the NY Daily News did some digging (or speculating) by intimating that the Church of Scientology was unhappy with certain aspects of the film.
A source familiar with Paul Thomas Anderson ’s film about the founder of a Scientology-like religious movement tells us officials of the controversial church group “hit the roof” when they learned — presumably through Cruise — that the movie contains a scene which suggests the belief system was little more than a product of the leader’s fertile imagination.

According to our insider, one scene that didn’t sit well with Cruise takes place on a patio where Joaquin Phoenix, who plays Freddie Sutton, a troubled drifter who becomes Dodd’s right-hand disciple, watches Dodd pontificate about the religion he has created.
During the scene, the source says, another character close to the founder turns to Phoenix and says of Dodd, “You know he’s making it up as he goes along.”
Referring to the actual Church of Scientology, our source says, “Tom Cruise’s people are grumbling about this line — amongst others — but Anderson is not taking it out.”
Cruise’s spokeswoman declined to comment on this story. Scientology spokeswoman Karin Pouw responded: “No one in the church has seen the film, and we have no comment. ”
Given the media circus surrounding the TomKat divorce right now it's hard to tell the fact from fiction but it certainly wouldn't surprise us.

Update: A commenter points out that the article also refers to Phoenix's character as Sutton (not Quell as he was updated to later on) which could mean that the entire thing is bunk or just that their fact checking wasn't so up to date.

The one thing I couldn't help but thinking when I was in LA last week was that the timing is perfect for shining a spotlight on the film now just 3 months away. Apparently Kristopher Tapley was thinking the exact same thing and wrote a piece about it over at Hitfix.
"If indeed the TomKat thing plays out in such dramatic hues with Scientology front and center, it could be an interesting turn of events, establishing "The Master" as the zeitgeist play of the season."
If you follow us on Twitter you know that we crossed the threshold into double-digits over the holiday with now only 94 days until the film's US release. And for those of you who have been asking, IMDB lists "The Master" as having a November 9th release date (or 9th November, whichever you prefer) which is not too much longer to wait.

http://cigsandredvines.blogspot.com/201 ... -with.html[/code]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:35 pm

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:54 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 1015Joined: Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:29 pm
I watched it an it sucked! was a 3 hour bore fest people in the theatre were asleep by the end of the movie! :-D NEXT!