<  MOVIES & DVD  ~  Mystery Surrounds Director Tony Scott's Suicide Leap

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:45 am
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 3303Location: DoglandJoined: Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:49 pm
©@rm4g3dd0n wrote:
*PinHead* wrote:
Every person on this planet should have the right to do what he wants with his own life. Why should anyone tell me what to do with it, or why should i tell you what to do with your life and how to live it. Either we are free or we are not.

so u also have the right to kill urself by jumping in front of a train, fucking up someone else's life too just cause urs is alredy fucked up. is that also okay? after all why should i tell u what to do with ur life?
its okay that "we are free", but i think there has to be some limitation of this freedom, simply a little humanity.

You are generalizing again.not every one jumps in front of a train, or a car or whatever. Different ways for different people for different reasons.

And no there must not be be a limitation of this freedom. Either we are free or we are not. By your way of thinking then we must make illegal smoking, alcohol drinking, extreme sports, bad food diet. Cause they are all dangerous for your health and could result in death or ilnesses that cause a lifetime of pain or death. Again, either we are free or we are not.

I don't support selfishness, like having a familly and killing yourself, thus leaving them with debts and a lot of pain behind. But i also consider that you cannot live your live in pain, psychological or physical for someone elses benefit.

And ffs, if i'm old, i'm sick, i have done everything i could have done with my life and consider i had enough, exhausted all other possibilities then i should have the right to end it.

In this specific case i can blame him for leaving his kids without a father, even if i am sure he left them enough money to live well for the rest of their life. I can't support this, but at the same time i can't call him a coward cause i don't know his life, what he was going through that he decided to kill himself. Whatever it was he has dead set on it. Like Spitfire said, it takes courage to jump from a big height to be crushed on the concrete or on impact with the water. People who are cowardly choose less painful ways to die, like drug overdose and so on. To be willing to kill yourself using a method that causes a lot of pain says something about how sure he was on what he was doing. And i don't have the right to judge him, i can only try to understand him and other like him and learn something from it, try to avoid getting in a similar spot.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:14 am
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 1729Location: HungaryJoined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:53 pm
*PinHead* wrote:
And no there must not be be a limitation of this freedom. Either we are free or we are not. By your way of thinking then we must make illegal smoking, alcohol drinking, extreme sports, bad food diet. Cause they are all dangerous for your health and could result in death or ilnesses that cause a lifetime of pain or death. Again, either we are free or we are not.

why would my way of thinking allow illegal smoking when i said freedom has to has some limits?????
i guess its ur way of thinking then that we are free to kill someone if we like, steal if we want to and do just about anything, after all we are either free or not. well thanks i dont want to live in a world where someone could just do anything with me without consequences. this is why we limited this freedom by laws which holds back most ppl from killing u for instance or me or just about anyone else. so come on, the heck with this we are free or not thing.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:52 am
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 3303Location: DoglandJoined: Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:49 pm
You are putting words in my mouth. I was refering to the fact we are free to do the whatever we want with our lives, not with other peoples lives. Why is that so hard to understand? All you are doing is to limit someone elses rights based on your own beliefs. If i want to kill myself, you don't have the right to tell me it's good, or bad, you don't have the right to stop me or to encourage me to do it. It's my own decision, a decision that only i have the right to take.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:40 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 1388Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:19 pm
*PinHead* wrote:
You are putting words in my mouth. I was refering to the fact we are free to do the whatever we want with our lives, not with other peoples lives. Why is that so hard to understand? All you are doing is to limit someone elses rights based on your own beliefs. If i want to kill myself, you don't have the right to tell me it's good, or bad, you don't have the right to stop me or to encourage me to do it. It's my own decision, a decision that only i have the right to take.

Agree completely, with all of the points you make.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:49 pm
Tony Scott Filmography

It's quite the list. Includes a lot of genre classics.

- The Hunger (1983)
- Top Gun (1986)
- Beverly Hills Cop II (1987)
- Revenge (1990)
- Days of Thunder (1990)
- The Last Boy Scout (1991)
- True Romance (1993)
- Crimson Tide (1995)
- The Fan (1996)
- Enemy of the State (1998)
- Spy Game (2001)
- Man on Fire (2004)
- Domino (2005)
- Déjà Vu (2006)
- The Taking of Pelham 123 (2009)
- Unstoppable (2010)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:22 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 1729Location: HungaryJoined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:53 pm
u two are also just share ur own beliefs
jesus when will u ppl realize that arguements are not about WINNING and LOSING but about sharing opinions???

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:26 am
Tony Scott Laid to Rest in Los Angeles
24 August 2012

Family members, including brother Ridley, and friends attended the private service Friday.

A private, family-only funeral for Top Gun director Tony Scott took place Friday in Los Angeles, five days after he jumped off the Vincent Thomas Bridge in San Pedro.

Friends and family members, including older brother, Ridley, who directed this summer's Prometheus and co-ran production company Scott Free, attended the service. Ridley flew in from London the day after news of Tony's death.

The 68-year-old director, who helmed films like 'Top Gun', 'Days of Thunder' and 'True Romance', died Aug. 19 in what was described as "a witnessed suicide."

Los Angeles County coroner spokesman Ed Winters tells The Hollywood Reporter that Scott left two separate notes for his family and friends. One note, discovered inside the director's black Toyota Prius, contained a list of people to contact, and a separate note found in Scott's office contained specific messages to friends and family.

"There was a suicide note to loves ones and a list with several names and numbers," Winter says, adding that neither of the notes contained mentions of health issues.

The reason for Scott taking his own life remains unknown.

In an April interview for THR's cover profile on Ridley, Tony spoke of their tight bond. "We are very close; he is my best friend," Tony said. "It's been a brother-mentor relationship. But Rid and I are as tight as it can get. We are very tight and have had a brilliant relationship."

The Los Angeles Times reported that the Friday funeral was taking place at Hollywood Forever Cemetery. A second gathering paying tribute to the late director will be announced after Labor Day.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/t ... ral-365409

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:36 pm
The Complexities of a Simple Act
26 August 2012

Don't moralize or stigmatize Scott's passing

Justin Chang has written about Tony Scott's work, eloquently expressing the admiration that many of us felt. In the next few weeks, there will be a flood of other tributes, which is appropriate. There will also be a flood of theories about his death. Unfortunately, many of these will be inappropriate, because there are so many misconceptions about suicide.

A few years ago, one of my closest friends killed himself, and his widow discovered that there are numerous books on grieving and healing, but few about suicide. A rare exception is Thomas Joiner's "Myths About Suicide." He disputes the usual notions that it is an act of selfishness, cowardice or hostility; he says most suicides believe their action will be beneficial to their survivors. They're trying to help.

The day after Scott's Aug. 19 death, ABC.com reported he'd had an inoperable illness. That report was quickly denied by his family. It's human nature to look for an explanation to unfathomable events, to reassure ourselves there may have been a reason and to convince ourselves it couldn't happen to us. The Entertainment Industries Council last week sent a media advisory pointing out that there is rarely one isolated motive behind most suicides. Print and online headlines Aug. 22 included "Director Scott's suicide motive still a mystery" and "Scott's tragic end leaves Hollywood asking why." Sorry, those are the wrong questions.

Maybe the quintessential Hollywood depiction is Norman Maine in the three versions of "A Star Is Born." In each of the three, the character conforms to Joiner's theory: Maine, down on his luck, kills himself, believing this will make things better for his wife.

Humans are surrounded with death every day, but it always comes as a surprise. Suicide is doubly surprising, even though we grew up watching "It's a Wonderful Life," a heartwarming story pegged to attempted suicide, swooned over Anna Karenina, and we all learned about the deaths of Cleopatra, Ernest Hemingway, Sylvia Plath and Virginia Woolf.

There is still a stigma attached. Death is sad, but suicide is scary-sad. Tuberculosis and AIDS, to name a few, were once considered "shameful" deaths; survivors would often cover up the cause of death. That's still true in some cases of suicide.

In 2010, Joiner told NPR that suicides are shocking because "they are often hard to see coming. They can come out of the blue from people who outwardly seem like they're doing OK, seem like they're going to work, seem like they're functioning normally. But inwardly, they're in desperate misery."

Joiner says there are numerous risk factors for suicidal behavior: genetics, mental disorders, personality characteristics, too many others to mention. "But make no mistake, they're forces of nature … They're grave. They're severe …"

Are there more suicides in the entertainment world than in other industries, or does it just seem that way? The creative mind is a mysterious place, capable of ideas that are inspiring -- or dark and troublesome. I didn't know Tony Scott, so I wouldn't presume to guess what was going through his mind. We fans will never know and we don't need to know.

Survivors are often filled with anger, which is totally understandable. What is not understandable is the insensitive remarks they sometimes have to endure. Joiner's piece of advice on NPR to anyone dealing with mourners: Behave as if the survivor "lost a loved one to heart disease or to cancer or to stroke. You do the natural things. Well, you should do the natural things with these deaths, too."

So keep the tributes to Tony Scott coming. His films were stylish, energetic and successful; he was liked and respected. His death is a loss to the entertainment industry. But don't make it seem like a shameful loss.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118058248