<  VIDEOGAMES  ~  An Honest Review Of The 3 Next Gen Consoles

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:55 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 6933Location: Scotland UKJoined: Wed May 23, 2007 2:57 pm
Warning: Large Amount Of Reading

i thought i'd make this thread for the people who are ever going to consider buying one or more of the next gen consoles, being the Wii, Xbox 360 and the PS3.

i came in possession of the PS3 a couple weeks ago, i must say i'm fairly impressed, i'm going to give a little review about the 360 first.

when i got the 360 a couple years ago i was seriously impressed with the graphics, bioshock and assassins creed looked fantastic and to this day it still puzzles me on how good they made those games look, sure the 360 has had a good amount of bad looking games, but its not about the graphics all the time, whats the point in having a visually stunning game and not being able to play it because the controls are all messed up ?

As for the game library, well its really good, theres plenty of games for shooters, racers, sportsmen & women and plenty of action and theres even some "Casual" games for the casual gamers that dont really exist. i've never walked into the game store and said to myself "Damn theres no decent 360 games to buy" i've always walked up to the counter with a game in my hand.

on to the online world of things.

Online play is actually really well done by microsoft, it worked well on the old xbox and sony had troubles with there mad add-on, i've got the thing myself for ps2 but i guess theres no point in trying it anymore. The 360 has a huge selection of games on the Xbox market place, theres tons of arcade games to get stuck into and the new Game addons can keep games going for over two years (Burnout paradise for example) all these things are great of course with the demo's and addons and arcade games and even Movies and Music video's can keep you busy but what about the online community ?

Well thats about as good as the market place, sure sometimes you get a few assholes who thinks if there gamerscore is big, so is there cocks, if you dont know how to play a game you'll get called a newb or an asshole or something like that and they'll leave if your running a server, or you will get booted, i've seen on a number of ocasions i've been booted from servers within one second of joining, i dont see the point, why can't they just lock the server and make it invite only, this however is the people who are fucking up, not xbox, thats about as bad as it gets in the market place however i was playing burnout paradise with some americans and one of them who was in there 40's went on about what happened with Uno, an online arcade game, aparently some kid had there cock out on the cam while his daughter was playing and that to me was fucked up.

On to the good parts however, your never far away from some good conversations with people you dont even know, it can always be a good laugh when team effort is required, i've always had a chat with guys about all kinds of stuff on the xbox live during gameplay, apart from call of duty but thats all about killin ! its a great community full of freindly welcomes but also there are a few cunts but there always will be cunts in the world.

as for reliability well thats not a good part about the 360, you know and i know millions of them have fucked up, my personal experience has been alot better, i got mine in december 07 and never had problems with it apart from the odd overheating (1 Red Light) and once i had a power cut and once it came back on there where 3 red lights but it worked after i plugged it out and back in. i never thought it would be risky to buy a console but i did feel like i took a good amount of risks.

now on to the wii.

theres not too much i can say about the wii, i've had it for around the same time as the 360 and its not impressed me as nearly as much as the 360, i'm not a graphic whore, i said i'd use my 360 for good graphics and my wii for fun, now i honestly did think it would be amazing to own one but i've only got 6 games for it, and i've got over 40 games for xbox, its simply because the game library is way too SHIT, sure theres good games but mostly there complete shit, the developers dont seem to have any idea what there doing, every era of a nintendo console there is usually an Idol character who was invented during the time of the console and will always be remembered, kinda like mario. i dont feel there will be any in the wii because the game library is complete gash, i've read things on the past about the nintendo manager promising hardcore gamers a good year but all i can see is cooking mama on the sheilfs, its not even worth £30.

This moves me on to another thing, the wii has held its price for over 2 years, i have no idea why this is, the ps3 has lost about £200 and even 360 is cheap as, infact the wii will be the Very First Console EVER to have its price heightened, nintendo will add approximately £10 to the price of the wii because they count the income in yen instead of dollars, so due to the stock market going into a shit derailment the price will actually go up after 2 years, incredible.

the overall gameplay is great, i really enjoy playing house of the dead with the gun and wii sports is good too, but games dont always need the motion senses such as super smash bro's, the game always worked well so leave it as it is. it is hard to describe what its like because you really do need to try it before you buy it, its a great experience but once you've played them over and over again it does get boring so looking for a new game is impossible because you've just bought the best games for it already, hence it is my least played console But the experience is second to none with the wii.

as for online, its great aswell, they have there own points scheme and what not but i dont like that because you never know how much your actually spending. The games are actually pretty good online, super smash bro's is great online but the voice communications thing is fucked, i guess they tried to be unique and use some speaker thing but when its late at night and your parents are in bed its kinda useless you know.

Arcade games on there are great theres alot of them i'd love to have on there even though i have them on emulators and consoles i already own, nintendo back in the days kicked some big ass. i've not looked through as much as i can on there but there web browser is cool and it does work really well but i have a pc for that. some of the online applications like weather and news are pretty cool too, theres not a next gen console that does that type of thing, having big votes and all that stuff on needless questions is fairly fun too, the other day there was a question "Do you pick your nose" i gave them an honest answer, "Yes" and that was me fairly happy with myself.

for breaking down, well i think its just your average console when it comes to that, theres always a mate who's broke one but it wont actually break unless you do it yourself, i can't recall of any red lights or strange beeps with the wii, and i've had it just as long as the 360.

so overall its a good console, if the online thing wasn't in seperate codes for each game and instead just a freinds list then it would be much better and a huge thing that does matter is the games list, nintendo need to stop living of their past and bring something new and amazing out, something that will have people running out to buy wii's for.

On to the final console, the PS3

i've only had this one for 2 weeks but i feel pretty ready to give a good review about the console.

the graphics on it are absolutly phenomenal i mean i thought 360 and ps3 where the same but i must admit i have noticed the difference, the console is huge and looks incredible next to a black HD TV the ps3's look was designed to go with the HD TV they are a good couple together !

The price is a bit on the heavy side, i know i really do know, i'm not rich and it took me years to get one but i'm starting to think to myself that it was worth its money, i mean i'd totally go for the 80gb model, i have a 120gb xbox 360 but there is a big difference here, the ps3 save files are only around 20kb's big, the 360's save files are around 40 mb, i dont think you need as much space as you do on the 360, so dont go buying the most expensive model, the 80 gb does the job perfectly.

the game list is a little bit funny actually, its sorta like a cross between the 360 and the wii, instead of having alot of casual games its got alot of action games, and some of them are pretty bad, i dont want alot of third person and first person shooters for my ps3, i want some great exclusives for it that are more than shooters and what not, but sony answered that with gran turismo 5 with me, the cars are the best looking car models i have ever seen in a game ever ! i can't wait for the full version to be released, and metal gear solid, its got a story that could make you cry.

The online side of things is a little strange, i feel its got the potential to kick ass just noone can really afford a ps3 yet and i really dont blame them at all, when i'm online playing warhawk (action flyer shooter online game) the most i'll hear from somones mic is stupid noise which is comming from the Tv or there breathing to close to the mic, talking isn't a necessity but when team work is involved its honestly better to have people talking and that just isn't there in ps3 unfortunately the community of the ps3 does feel a little on the posh side, like everyone keeps themself to themself, microsoft live is way better in my opinion, but only because everyone is everyone on there, on ps3 theres no one who talks at all. its good to know its free of course but if ps3 had 360's users then i'd totally say ps3 is better in terms of online communication. also its good to have a keyboard handy as most people online seem to just talk with that.

the online shop for playstation is good too, i enjoy browsing around in there to see what there is, plenty of ps1 games and you can even buy psp games for your psp, i think that kicks ass and sony have also managed to have full playstation 3 games for sale on the shop and thats something i'd love the 360 to have. theres not much else i can say about the shop apart from it does addons like the 360 and has themes for the playstations version of the Dashboard and it has a free internet browser unlike wii and 360.

and in terms of breaking down, i must say i have heard of some errors about it such as 3 beeps of death and this yellow light of death but the ps3 is once again just an average console just like the wii in terms of maintenance.

overall the ps3 is in my opinion the posh mans console, it feels great to own one and looks stunning next to your big HD TV and the games are actually pretty decent, i think once the price drops there will be alot more money floating about for developers to produce some good exclusives and raise the badness of the community, i'd give my comments about Home but i'm afraid its just not my thing and half my keys are broken on my usb keyboard so home is useless to me.

i think i can finally say which is what, i know everyone is different so i shall make it simple.

Xbox 360 - The Online Fest Of Multiplayer Goodness
the 360 is the console for you if you enjoy multiplayer games and tournaments, it also has amazing graphics so some games will make you breathless if you've never played them before, i play this console when i want to have a great time online.

Nintendo Wii - The Fake Family's Console Of Motion Madness
i mentioned the fake family because of those adverts, the wii was designed for this imaginary family that will gather round the tv and play wii all night, thats not the case im afraid, most gamers will play it themselves or with a freind, my mom played it once when i got it but thats about it, if however you like cooking and getting fit with a game or actually have alot of kids around the house then get this console.

Sony Playstation 3 - The Posh Mans Answer To A Console
Buy a ps3 if you have money and a big HDTV to play it on, i've played it on a standard television and its not good, this console is to amaze you, the online modes are pretty sucky because of the people who own them but its a great console but i'd wait about one more year before purchasing it, it still hasn't landed its feet on the ground, i'm sure once the price drops again it will open up new things for gamers.

Now my favourite is something i cannot decide, honestly i thought i could but i can't....

there are flaws with each console as i mentioned, if the 360 could handle a bit more graphics and not break down as much then it would win, if the ps3 could have a better online store with more in it and have a better community rather than the parade of fucking mimes on it right now then i'd say the ps3 was better.

the wii isn't mentioned because it flaws on too many things, it might be good at one thing but all it really is, is a nintendo gamecube with motion sensors and you can pick one of them up at gamestation for £20 without the motion sensors that is.

and my final notes here are:

Sorry for the review being so long, i had to point out everything while at the same time keeping it short.

Feel Free To post up your own reviews even if you only have one or two of the consoles !

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:06 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 2174Location: U.S.A.Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:14 am
Cogglesz wrote:
Warning: Large Amount Of Reading

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:12 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 6933Location: Scotland UKJoined: Wed May 23, 2007 2:57 pm
:lol: i'm sorry manny i really am :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:46 pm
User avatarModeratorModeratorPosts: 4789Location: Wolverhampton, UKJoined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:52 pm
What games do you play on the PS3? just exclusives? near enough all the multiplatform games look and run better on the 360... And Warhawk is pants imo, good for 10 mins then it was dull

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:35 pm
nah i fairly dig warhawk :lol:

well i've not had the thing for long, so yeah i've mainly got exclusives but i've got the new silent hill

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:27 am
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 2753Location: Amsterdam, NetherlandsJoined: Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:00 pm
Fuck me Colin you've got too much time on your hands! :lol:

Manny that .Gif is hillarious!!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:18 am
User avatarHot ModeratorHot ModeratorPosts: 668Location: Surrey UKJoined: Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:46 pm
for me ps3 has best exclusives, 360 is better with multiplats

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:43 pm
User avatarMajorMajorPosts: 708Location: Adelaide, AustraliaJoined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:57 pm
Stacy Plisskin wrote:
for me ps3 has best exclusives, 360 is better with multiplats

Agreed. I prefer the 360 controller over the ps3's. So multiplatform games are always getting bought for my 360. I hear some people saying that the visuals etc.. on the ps3 are ALWAYS better than the 360's but that aint the case. Some multiplatform games look better on the 360 (even if only by a tiny margin that most of us wouldn't give a fuck about.)

The wii DOES have some good games on it, the main problem with the wii is its SHIT GAMES to GOOD GAMES ratio. Much higher than the other 2 consoles. But if you sift through the shit there is some killer games out there. I'm sick of people I know (in the real world) buying wii's and then saying the motion controls dont work properly.... Never mind the fact the game they bought was dodgy as hell and one of those 3rd party titles that the designers spent only 3 months producing because they know it will be bought by "Casual gamers" anyways... Only a few games have really used the motion sensing and pointer ability well.

I think when you wanna look at the SHIT GAMES to GOOD GAMES quality ratio the 360 is way ahead of both the wii and ps3.

Offline Profile