<  VIDEOGAMES  ~  Lots Of Key Staff Leave Infinity Ward

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:45 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 6933Location: Scotland UKJoined: Wed May 23, 2007 2:57 pm
wasn't sure if i should make a topic about it but i believe this is rather important for call of duty fans.

alot of key staff members have walked out in the month, after the co founders were fired, maybe this is why the dlc is so damn expensive because IW will be no more.

Quote:

FROM IGN:

Long-time programmer Jon Shiring confirmed to IGN he has resigned from his position at the studio. Shiring made his initial announcement through his Twitter account. Shiring did not give a reason for his resignation or where he'll end up next.

"I'm not trying to create spectacle, I just wanted to avoid the LinkedIn nonsense," he told IGN. "No announcements other than that one." Shiring spent close to six years at Infinity Ward, working on both Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare and Modern Warfare 2.

Senior Animator Bruce Ferriz confirmed to IGN he, too, left the studio this month and has now joined Santa Monica-based developer Big Red Button Entertainment. He is currently working on an unannounced project. Ferriz spent just over one year at Infinity Ward.

Lastly, Modern Warfare 2 lead designer Mackey McCandlish has also left Infinity Ward. McCandlish had been with the studio since 2002. McCandlish confirmed his departure on his Twitter account.

Earlier this month, Infinity Ward veterans Todd Alderman and Francesco Gigliotti also revealed through LinkedIn the two had left the studio.

In March, Infinity Ward co-founders Vince Zampella and Jason West were fired by publisher Activision. The two announced this morning plans to open a new studio called Respawn Entertainment and signed a new publishing deal with rival Electronic Arts.

Update (14th April): Additional Infinity Ward employees have now left the studio. Lead Designers Steve Fukuda and Zied Reike are no longer employees, Kotaku reports. Programmer Rayme Vinson and lead artist Chris Cherubini have also now left. Cherubini confirmed he has resigned from his position.

That's 11 pretty important people already, i've got a feeling this might end up bad, i like call of duty but i think Activision deserves this, dlc price was outrageous and there are rumors the next dlc is going to be $5 more expensive than before, no reason as to why, just because they feel they can, by the looks of it after 4 or so dlcs you'll have paid for the game twice, i really believe its karma thats biting Activision in the ass taking a great game and overpricing it for everyone.

Edit: half decent news for the two co founders though, they've made a deal with EA and have begun a new developer team by the name of Respawn Entertainment, perhaps this is where all the staff are going ?, the co founders or ex co founders i should say stated that there giving the fans what they deserve.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:50 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 3702Location: Almere, The NetherlandsJoined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:54 pm
Funny.

Some of these guys left EA back in 2002 because of the plans EA had with Medal of Honor .

Then they founded Infinity Ward and joined Activision.

And now they're back with EA again :lol:

Gaming Industry is weird sometimes.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:39 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 2753Location: Amsterdam, NetherlandsJoined: Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:00 pm
Probably for the best anyway. MW 2 was pretty stale, I can only imagine what the next couple of instalments will be like. It's good that these guys will go on to do something fresh (hopefully). But as you say, if it's under the gaze of EA I doubt it will be anything particularly ground breaking.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:03 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 6933Location: Scotland UKJoined: Wed May 23, 2007 2:57 pm
yeah i dont think they'll make anything groundbreaking, MW2 is simply a kinda overhyped game anyway, its like a fashion accessory everyone has, the story felt like it was written by 5 year olds (doesn't make sence) and the multiplayer is a laggy mess full of hackers and glitchers, its like what halo 3 was like for me, overhyped and made shit because of its popularity, investing millions into game development only to come out with a 4 hour single player game time and no decent story that someone who never touched halo since halo 2 completed, games like metal gear solid 4 and GTA IV feel like they've had millions invested into it.

saying that though, i like the old ones more, world at war was good and i never had problems with multiplayer or the price of maps, dont have an opinion about MW1 as i never purchased it.

but yeah its a waiting game here, i think another 2 members left recently as well.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:38 am
38 staff file lawsuit for "breach of contract"
Quote:

Developers from the Infinity Ward team behind blockbuster hit Modern Warfare 2 are suing publisher Activision for breach of contract, among other things, including failing to pay due bonuses.

The plaintiffs, calling themselves the Infinity Ward Employee Group (IWEG) and consisting of "a significant portion of the members of the creative team" behind MW2, claim Activision owes them approximately $75 million to $125 million dollars.

Activision allegedly "made a calculated, purposeful and malicious decision" to withhold proper bonuses "in an attempt to force employees of Infinity Ward to continue to work at a job that many of them did not want just so Activision could force them to complete the development, production and delivery of Modern Warfare 3."

also another 5 left earlier this week then followed by another 2 which makes it 18 key staff members.

will there be a MW3 ?!