<  PRODIGY QUESTIONS & OPINIONS  ~  What Year Did You Become A Fan?

What Year Did You Become A Fan?

2%
[ 5 ] 2%

8%
[ 18 ] 8%

7%
[ 15 ] 7%

5%
[ 10 ] 5%

15%
[ 33 ] 15%

8%
[ 18 ] 8%

14%
[ 30 ] 14%

13%
[ 28 ] 13%

4%
[ 8 ] 4%

2%
[ 5 ] 2%

3%
[ 7 ] 3%

2%
[ 4 ] 2%

2%
[ 4 ] 2%

3%
[ 7 ] 3%

4%
[ 8 ] 4%

7%
[ 15 ] 7%

0%
[ 1 ] 0%

2%
[ 4 ] 2%

Total votes : 220
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:28 am
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 1513Location: GreeceJoined: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:12 am
97'

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:43 pm
User avatarPrivatePrivatePosts: 169Location: U.K.Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:42 pm
1991 - When I first heard "What Evil Lurks" in a record shop in Bolton (Beat Street). Had to get the record there and then. only paid £5 for it too. bargain!

And then the rest is history, bought all there tunes since.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:40 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 3820Location: USAJoined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:56 pm
First time hearing electronic music on Priority Records' Best Of Rave compilation

Heard The Prodigy's remix of Art Of Noise's Instruments Of Darkness.
I heard Charly & Everybody In The Place on another compilation that I picked up shortly after.
After that, I began collecting their releases knowing they were something different compared to all of the other rave artists at that time.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:23 am
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 2916Location: italyJoined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:44 pm
1997, i was 8. I saw Firestarter in the tv and I went crazy. I actually remember the No Good video from '94, but I was too child (6) this is why I became a fan just 3 years later. :D Anyway I'm really curious to read the comments about people who became fan during the early '90s (1990- 1993). :P

www.myspace.com/thespyral
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:34 am
User avatarMajorMajorPosts: 707Location: PolandJoined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:00 pm
By the time we'll get the new album, I'll be 23. That means I couldn't really be with the band in their prime time, seeing as I was born half a year before the Experience release. I think I started listening to them in 2004, but I don't remember it clearly. I know that I started by getting interested into the tracks on The Matrix soundtrack, right after Matrix Reloaded came out. I found out Minefields and downloaded TFOTL. I listened to it for quite a while, and I didn't listen to a lot of music (except whatever was played in radio) back then. After a few months or so, I forgot about the album, and the band, only to get back to it in 2006, get interested again, so I downloaded the entire discography and it blew my mind. I remember liking tracks from all the CDs except Experience, where I think only Out of Space was something I found listenable :D

I have a flashback of talking with my brother (who lived his own place, so didn't know) about music that I listen to, and funnily enough it happened on the day of The Prodigy's concert in my city (Wrocław 2007), which he mentioned. I knew about it, but at that moment and age the idea of going to a concert alone was kind of out of my mind. By the time 2009 came, I was already a fanatic, longing to go to a concert, however for various reasons I couldn't go, missing 2009's Opener (they will likely play there this year as well). In 2010 I decided I simply have to, and there started my addiction :)

The post was supposed to be about the year I became a fan, but whatever...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:35 pm
User avatarA.K.A. feelxPosts: 3056Location: Montréal, QCJoined: Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:32 pm
sado1 wrote:
I remember liking tracks from all the CDs except Experience, where I think only Out of Space was something I found listenable :D

what exactly did you not like about Experience? because I think I know exactly what you mean

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:59 pm
User avatarMajorMajorPosts: 707Location: PolandJoined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:00 pm
feelthy wrote:
sado1 wrote:
I remember liking tracks from all the CDs except Experience, where I think only Out of Space was something I found listenable :D

what exactly did you not like about Experience? because I think I know exactly what you mean

I didn't understand it yet :) Imagine a kid undergoing a transition from listening to radio crap to some music that sounds so old and boring.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:29 pm
User avatarA.K.A. feelxPosts: 3056Location: Montréal, QCJoined: Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:32 pm
sado1 wrote:
feelthy wrote:
sado1 wrote:

I didn't understand it yet :) Imagine a kid undergoing a transition from listening to radio crap to some music that sounds so old and boring.

okay. my own perception was from being into hard house/techno tracks in the early 2000's, then discovering Spitfire/Girls/SMBU

expected more of these heavy tracks, end up hearing cheerful tracks like Music Reach, Your Love

I was like, "WTF? is this for kids??" :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:33 am
User avatarPrivatePrivatePosts: 109Location: Helsinki, FinlandJoined: Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:09 pm

It all started at school when someone played Out of Space one day (must have been only 11 years old back then)
It really caught my young mind's attention, and can still remember being really blown away by the sounds as it was also the first introduction to proper electronic music (aside from the occasional cheesy eurodance).

Remember waiting anxiously by the radio for days to catch it after that and finally managed to tape it. After that I found a specialized record store in Helsinki which had the Elektra 6-track EP of OOS, and the rest in history.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:44 am
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 1090Location: SerbiaJoined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:55 am
I cannot guess the correct year, but my older sister and brother had tapes of the prodigy, and I was a kid and I was like aaaa whats that, loved no good start the dance and voodoo people. And then years have past and I saw firestrter video on mtv. I jumped and jumped, my parents thought Im crazy. Staying whole day next to tv to see video again. Then I go to the cd store and bought my first the prodgy cd. It was some best of bootleg. And thats how it all begin. Then tfotl got released and the rest is history. Bought all albums and fucking cummed in my pants when I saw bgat in 2002, expected album that year butnothing. I was very dissapointed.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:05 am
User avatarLieutenantLieutenantPosts: 597Location: MontréalJoined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:58 am
For me it was in 1992. I was around 14 at the time.

I remember watching the video for Everybody In The Place on MTV Europe and those synths were engraved in my memory forever.

Then I heard Out Of Space and I played it on loop on a VHS on which I had recorded MTV's The Party Zone (old timers will remember that show). There were a couple of other XL Recordings acts on that show, like Channel X, Cubic 22, Praga Kahn, SL2 and many others that I can't remember now. That really got me into the Hardcore scene and The Prodigy were the best by far. We were always on the lookout for new material by The Prodigy, and I remember that at that time, single releases were often quite different from the album version (Everybody In The Place, Wind It Up, Fire...) so it always felt fresh.

After that, One Love happened with that (now) crappy looking 3D video. At that point I started to lose interest, not that it wasn't any good, but it felt like more of the same. Until No Good that is, which really brought their sound to a new level. Voodoo People was a confirmation of an evident sign of maturity in the sound, something new was happening. After many listens to the album, I moved on to something else, again. Because that's what you do when you're young.

Firestarter took me by complete surprise, I saw the video on MTV Europe, again, but I missed the tag at the start of the song, so I didn't know it was them. I was hooked by that raw new sound (it reminded me of Tied Up by LFO, only better) and I wasn't even close to recognizing Flint. At the end of the song, I saw The Prodigy, and it left me dumbfounded. I left MTV on so that I could catch that video again and recorded on VHS. I couldn't believe it was them.
I remember walking to a record store asking when the new album by The Prodigy would come out and the guy just pointed to a sign next to the register that said "No, we do not know when the new album by The Prodigy will come out".
That's when I understood that this wasn't just an underground thing anymore and I wasn't alone in this.

I went to class with a huge drawing of The Prodigy logo (experience era) on my binder and people started to ask me about it. Those fuckers started to recognize it, and we were in 96/97 at that time.

I loved TFOTL, but didn't like all that exposure everywhere, I felt like I had lost something to a bunch of people who couldn't possibly understand, and they didn't. I grew up and became a man with that early sound, that's something that nobody can take from me. I was annoyed by that TFOTL crowd who asked me to borrow the previous two albums from me because I had that huge logo on my class stuff (uni).

When AONO came out, it felt like a relief, finally something. Sadly, I don't like half of the album and I don't love the other half that much. But at least the annoying crowd was gone. The worst part is that even if I don't think that AONO is that great, I found it still miles better than anything else. I started reading interviews and scrounging for unreleased (or rare) tracks. Found a couple good ones like The Shadow and First Warning and still can't understand how those never got released on a full fledged album.

Then agony until IMD came out, thinking it was over while it felt like something was missing, lurking around here (before registering) and reading Nekosite looking for news. When they deposited the Take Me To The Hospital name, I went on youtube and searched for it. I found this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEYXOlUBtn8
I thought I recognized Keith's voice on it. I thought it was over for real this time. I felt really sad. Then IMD single came out and pheeew... TMTTH is one of my favorite tracks now. For me it's the defining The Prodigy sound :
rave synths
heavy beat
sped up voices
silly lyrics by Flint
ridiculous samples (siren sound)
typical Howlett strings

Close to perfection.

I love IMD, I think it has many elements of all albums put together. I didn't come onto here after it was released and was surprised to see so much hate about it recently, since I consider it like a real fan service album. I guess not all fans are equal. The annoying crowd always goes away, fuck'em.

No music comes closer to define who I am inside than The Prodigy. I'm a fanboy and I'm proud of it. I work for a huge video game studio packed with people younger than me and my desktop image is a huge Prodigy ant logo.

Every day is my enemy until march 30.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:02 am
gcx wrote:
No music comes closer to define who I am inside than The Prodigy. I'm a fanboy and I'm proud of it. I work for a huge video game studio packed with people younger than me and my desktop image is a huge Prodigy ant logo.

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:38 am
User avatarGruntGruntPosts: 74Location: UkraineJoined: Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:34 am
I became a fan in 2000 year.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:04 am
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 2916Location: italyJoined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:44 pm
Quote:

gcx
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:05 am Reply with quote
For me it was in 1992. I was around 14 at the time.

I remember watching the video for Everybody In The Place on MTV Europe and those synths were engraved in my memory forever.

Then I heard Out Of Space and I played it on loop on a VHS on which I had recorded MTV's The Party Zone (old timers will remember that show). There were a couple of other XL Recordings acts on that show, like Channel X, Cubic 22, Praga Kahn, SL2 and many others that I can't remember now. That really got me into the Hardcore scene and The Prodigy were the best by far. We were always on the lookout for new material by The Prodigy, and I remember that at that time, single releases were often quite different from the album version (Everybody In The Place, Wind It Up, Fire...) so it always felt fresh.

After that, One Love happened with that (now) crappy looking 3D video. At that point I started to lose interest, not that it wasn't any good, but it felt like more of the same. Until No Good that is, which really brought their sound to a new level. Voodoo People was a confirmation of an evident sign of maturity in the sound, something new was happening. After many listens to the album, I moved on to something else, again. Because that's what you do when you're young.

Firestarter took me by complete surprise, I saw the video on MTV Europe, again, but I missed the tag at the start of the song, so I didn't know it was them. I was hooked by that raw new sound (it reminded me of Tied Up by LFO, only better) and I wasn't even close to recognizing Flint. At the end of the song, I saw The Prodigy, and it left me dumbfounded. I left MTV on so that I could catch that video again and recorded on VHS. I couldn't believe it was them.
I remember walking to a record store asking when the new album by The Prodigy would come out and the guy just pointed to a sign next to the register that said "No, we do not know when the new album by The Prodigy will come out".
That's when I understood that this wasn't just an underground thing anymore and I wasn't alone in this.

I went to class with a huge drawing of The Prodigy logo (experience era) on my binder and people started to ask me about it. Those fuckers started to recognize it, and we were in 96/97 at that time.

I loved TFOTL, but didn't like all that exposure everywhere, I felt like I had lost something to a bunch of people who couldn't possibly understand, and they didn't. I grew up and became a man with that early sound, that's something that nobody can take from me. I was annoyed by that TFOTL crowd who asked me to borrow the previous two albums from me because I had that huge logo on my class stuff (uni).

When AONO came out, it felt like a relief, finally something. Sadly, I don't like half of the album and I don't love the other half that much. But at least the annoying crowd was gone. The worst part is that even if I don't think that AONO is that great, I found it still miles better than anything else. I started reading interviews and scrounging for unreleased (or rare) tracks. Found a couple good ones like The Shadow and First Warning and still can't understand how those never got released on a full fledged album.

Then agony until IMD came out, thinking it was over while it felt like something was missing, lurking around here (before registering) and reading Nekosite looking for news. When they deposited the Take Me To The Hospital name, I went on youtube and searched for it. I found this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEYXOlUBtn8
I thought I recognized Keith's voice on it. I thought it was over for real this time. I felt really sad. Then IMD single came out and pheeew... TMTTH is one of my favorite tracks now. For me it's the defining The Prodigy sound :
rave synths
heavy beat
sped up voices
silly lyrics by Flint
ridiculous samples (siren sound)
typical Howlett strings

Close to perfection.

I love IMD, I think it has many elements of all albums put together. I didn't come onto here after it was released and was surprised to see so much hate about it recently, since I consider it like a real fan service album. I guess not all fans are equal. The annoying crowd always goes away, fuck'em.

This is history.

www.myspace.com/thespyral
Offline Profile WWW