good artist, got a few 12"s by him, looking forward to this

Will be the worst one yet, any takers?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:29 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 1113Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:05 am
awful remix :eeek: :vomit:

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:33 pm
GeneralGeneralPosts: 1782Joined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 2:52 pm
Not what I was expecting at all. Special Request is usually the Drum & Bass pseudonym for Paul Woodford. This is more like his House stuff. It's like he had a track lying around and just added some 'Light Up The Sky' samples over it. It's a real shame. Hopefully there's another 'Light Up The Sky' remix on the way from a Drum & Bass artist.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:09 pm
ColonelColonelPosts: 996Joined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:15 pm
I'm in the process of writing a drum and bass remix for this song, anyone managed to isolate the vocals at all?
i was contemplating keeping it behind for the no tourists remix album (i'm guessing this will be happening?)

the official remixes so far have been dogshite. should have released tunes with b-sides instead. remixes these days are fucking lazy

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:19 pm
User avatarCorporalCorporalPosts: 370Location: Athens, GreeceJoined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:31 pm
and another crap mix, I miss Pendulum...

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:22 am
User avatarPrivatePrivatePosts: 132Location: UKJoined: Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:22 pm
Read some of the responses here then clicked on the Pengshui remix page, heard the first few seconds and thought it was gonna be turned off shortly after but I actually like it, mainly because of the beat that's been put on it. I'm not hugely into some of the build up parts and would prefer the drums to be louder in the mix in places (or the rest turned down a bit) but it doesn't bother me that much.

Some of the synth/bass reminds me of something you'd maybe hear on MSX FM off GTA III, haha. I loved that station too.

edit : Just heard (skipped through parts of) the Special Request one and not into that. I'll stick with the Pengshui one.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:47 am
User avatarCorporalCorporalPosts: 353Joined: Tue May 26, 2009 4:26 pm
Yes, finally a good remix after that Pengshui crap. A lighter take on a dark track is welcome. I like Special Request because his tracks nod to the same foundations where The Prodigy came from, some proper 90's breakbeats.

I like the way how this, as some of you said, sounds like a different track with just the vocals pasted on. Makes it feel like a standing-on-its-own type of song, like the Dust Brothers remix of Voodoo. A totally new track with one familiar element.

Only I wish this remix excluded the Their Law synth part, it doesn't fit in here and it ruins my theory I just explained on this one haha.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:33 am
User avatarPrivatePrivatePosts: 108Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:01 pm
Finally a great remix, not another dnb shit!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:09 am
GeneralGeneralPosts: 1782Joined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 2:52 pm
There's only been one Drum & Bass remix this era so far in 'Need Some1 (Friction Remix)'.

I prefer the edit of 'Light Up The Sky (Special Request Remix)' which is on Spotify and YouTube now. I was hoping it would be up there with Special Request's remixes of The Chemical Brothers and Leftfield. That's why I was disappointed when I heard it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xpk166mxFCI

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:28 pm
User avatarSergeantSergeantPosts: 413Location: Tenerife (fan since 95)Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:53 am
Unfortunately the Special Request Remix is as terrible as the last remixes (probably 85% of them since 2009).

It's sad how they do not care about this thing anymore, they used to choose great remixes back then, what's more, there were some wicked remixes (Monkey Mafia, DJ Zinc...) which were unreleased...

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:36 am
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 1956Location: sitting on cloudsJoined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:37 am
jonyintheplace wrote:
Unfortunately the Special Request Remix is as terrible

this is your opinion, not a fact.
my opinion is that ffwf is crap

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:33 pm
ColonelColonelPosts: 996Joined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:15 pm
jonyintheplace wrote:
Unfortunately the Special Request Remix is as terrible as the last remixes (probably 85% of them since 2009).

It's sad how they do not care about this thing anymore, they used to choose great remixes back then, what's more, there were some wicked remixes (Monkey Mafia, DJ Zinc...) which were unreleased...

I'd say that's probably because they've gone for producers who are currently popular, plus before that point.. a remix wasn't expected on every release. b-sides were more expected and tbh i'd rather that than some janky shitty mixes that wont get played out

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:49 pm
User avatarSergeantSergeantPosts: 413Location: Tenerife (fan since 95)Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:53 am
4ever2mind wrote:
jonyintheplace wrote:

yes, it is my opinion, not a fact. I never knew that somebody would interpret my opinions as facts, but thanks for the reminder.

ffwl is crap, I agree with you. Yes. The fact that we both agree on this does not make the song crap for many other, so it's just a shared opinion, not a fact. :)

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:41 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 2916Location: italyJoined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:44 pm
jonyintheplace wrote:
4ever2mind wrote:
jonyintheplace wrote:

yes, it is my opinion, not a fact. I never knew that somebody would interpret my opinions as facts, but thanks for the reminder.

ffwl is crap, I agree with you. Yes. The fact that we both agree on this does not make the song crap for many other, so it's just a shared opinion, not a fact. :)

The question is getting philosophical. :lol:

www.myspace.com/thespyral
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:22 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 2881Location: ESTJoined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:30 pm
i think this special request remix has lovely oldschool vibe to it.
different influences.. dub, oldschool house. it's like a bow to old era. feels also bit like mashup, like Pavlov did. i like it.
something different.