<  PRODIGY NEWS  ~  No Tourists reviews

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:54 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 1513Location: GreeceJoined: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:12 am
Electronic_Punk® wrote:
https://www.nme.com/reviews/album/the-prodigy-no-tourists-album-review

5/5

Hey there Prodigy people! Yes it's me...your fellow "frenetic rapper"-physicist Maxwell. Sup?
Edit:
Damn they've corrected "Maxwell" to "Maxim".

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:38 am
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 1090Location: SerbiaJoined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:55 am

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:20 am
User avatarPrivatePrivatePosts: 187Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:10 pm
Prodigal Son wrote:

Since rejuvenating their sound with an injection of Pendulum’s metallic drum ‘n’ bass rush on 2004’s Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned,

Ah. No. Not at all. Wrong album. :lol: Pendulum and Justice influence in Invaders. AONO had an electroclash influence.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:32 pm
User avatarProdigious ArabPosts: 4204Location: The Dark SideJoined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:22 pm
Harry Potter reviews the new album

https://youtu.be/Lz1e95ZFo3E

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:38 pm
User avatarPrivatePrivatePosts: 185Location: PolandJoined: Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:57 pm
Electronic_Punk® wrote:
Harry Potter reviews the new album

https://youtu.be/Lz1e95ZFo3E

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:02 am
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 6512Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:44 am

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:23 pm
GeneralGeneralPosts: 1769Joined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:09 am
The only review I have been able to find on any Danish news outlet:
http://soundvenue.com/musik/2018/11/the ... ilm-335719
2/6 stars

The album did not chart in Denmark. The previous albums at least had reviews!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:37 pm

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:44 pm
GeneralGeneralPosts: 1782Joined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 2:52 pm
I notice a lot of reviews refer to the back catalog. They mention e.g. 'Voodoo People' as an absolute classic. Well when 'Voodoo People' was first released it got to number 13 in the UK singles chart. It took years for people to think of it as a classic.

Instant classics are very rare. Only over time do people view tracks as such. Also, tracks from people's youth tend to be held in higher regard than new tracks.

That's why when reviewers compare the new tracks to the old it is false in my opinion.

A lot mention the 'Experience' album but I think they have false memories of what versions of the tracks are on the album. In their head it contains the single versions of 'Charly', 'Fire' 'Everybody in the Place' and 'Wind It Up' not the remixed versions on the actual album (or original version of 'Wind It Up'). I love the 'Experience' album but a lot of 'casual' fans don't as it doesn't have the single versions they know on it.

Last edited by James Jupiter on Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:49 pm
User avatarCorporalCorporalPosts: 333Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:29 am
James Jupiter wrote:
I notice a lot of reviews refer to the back catalog. They mention e.g. 'Voodoo People' as an absolute classic. Well when 'Voodoo People' was first released it got to number 13 in the UK singles chart. It took years for people think of it as a classic.

Instant classics are very rare. Only over time do people view tracks as such. Also, tracks from people's youth tend to be held in higher regard than new tracks.

That's why when reviewers compare the new tracks to the old it is false in my opinion.

A lot mention the 'Experience' album but I think they have false memories of what versions of the tracks are on the album. In their head it contains the single versions of 'Charly', 'Fire' 'Everybody in the Place' and 'Wind It Up' not the remixed versions on the actual album (or original version of 'Wind It Up'). I love the 'Experience' album but a lot of 'casual' fans don't as it doesn't have the single versions they know on it.

I'm wondering whether this is because many of today's reviewer's were not even born when Experience was released, (probably even a couple that were born after Fat of the Land). It seems hard for them to contextualize something they have no living memory of, rather than from um... experience they instead base their ideas on opinions they've either read or heard. It's why many of the past "so called" hits are raised to god like levels of worship, which they never really obtained on original release. I've also seen a lot of younger fans of the band state their favourite album is Experience. Probably just coinciding with the cyclical nature of nostalgia among the youth these days, been the 80's for quite a while, I guess it's the 90's turn now. Shame the last couple of decades have had no cultural identity of their own and instead are obsessed with the past. Guess I will just go back to my pipe and slippers and enjoy listening to the new album again. :lol:

Last edited by Jimmy Mcgroe on Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:47 pm
Quote:
The Prodigy: No Tourists (Take Me to the Hospital) ***

While all around them, 90s rave culture is repurposed for its ageing adherents as convivial orchestral tributes such as Hacienda Classical or the Ibiza Prom, The Prodigy refuse to grow up and calm down. Their seventh album, No Tourists, has been conceived with their ferocious live show in mind and delivers a set of tooled-up tracks ready for kick-off.

The downside, though, is that these hopped-up, cantankerous eternal teenagers – beatmaster Liam Howlett and his feral lieutenants Keith Flint and rapper Maxim – demonstrate no progression on what is essentially a remix of previous, superior efforts. The sirens, pitchshifting bass, screaming diva vocal breaks and samples of breaking glass on NeedSome1 could have been lifted off their 1994 breakthrough Music For The Jilted Generation.

Likewise, the punk urgency of Light Up The Sky with its revving synths and pugnacious vocals and the jabbering orgiastic old school rave of We Live Forever keep up the usual attention deficit onslaught.

Ironically, the album title is an incitement to go off-piste so at least the epic title track changes the record slightly with portentous strings packing the heft of a Hollywood blockbuster soundtrack.

A couple of guest appearances – from industrial hip-hop duo Ho99o9 on Fight Fire with Fire and punky singer/songwriter Barns Courtney on Give Me A Signal – stir the pot only slightly, while Flint rouses the mob on Champions of London with his John Lydonesque howl of “civil unrest, grab the bulletproof vest” though, even here, what starts out as aggressive tech metal with some serious rock drumming defaults to turbo-charged hardcore rave before the first minute is out.

https://www.scotsman.com/lifestyle/cult ... -1-4825248

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:06 pm

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:06 am

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:24 pm

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:48 pm