<  PRODIGY NEWS  ~  So what now.....

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:36 pm
GruntGruntPosts: 15Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:13 pm
Understandably it's been pretty quiet on the prodigy front, but I was just wondering what will happen now? Surely there will have to be a statement of some sort soon about whether or not the prodigy will continue. Or cease to exist. Stage wise I can't see them carry on

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:24 pm
GeneralGeneralPosts: 1782Joined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 2:52 pm
They were relatively early into the 'No Tourists' promotion/touring when of course everything suddenly stops. We're used to long moments of silence but this is obviously an exceptional circumstance. Obviously they need time to process.

The Prodigy has been a huge part of their lives for the last 29 years. I don't expect them to make a quick decision on their future plans.

We know there had been plans to release something this year (Andy C 'Firestarter' remix, new version of 'SMBU', etc). Who knows if that will still happen? It could come out as a 'tribute'. Maybe they don't want to be seen to be profiting by releasing something (even though us as fans knew the release was planned before Keith's death)?

The narrative has been completely changed. It used to be all about the music. As you'd expect, any interview now would be wanting to talk about Keith and they possibly don't want to talk about it.

If they do decide to stop I'd hope we'd get the final release (of whatever it was they'd been planning) at some point.

The Prodigy music and live shows have brought a huge amount of pleasure and joy to a lot of people. There are a lot of people hoping they decide to continue but will understand if they don't want to.

Last edited by James Jupiter on Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:38 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 2916Location: italyJoined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:44 pm
James Jupiter wrote:
They were relatively early into the 'No Tourists' when of course everything suddenly stops. We're used to long moments of silence but this is obviously an exceptional circumstance. Obviously they need time to process.

The Prodigy has been a huge part of their lives for the last 29 years. I don't expect them to make a quick decision on their future plans.

We know there had been plans to release something this year (Andy C 'Firestarter' remix, new version of 'SMBU', etc). Who knows if that will still happen? It could come out as a 'tribute'. Maybe they don't want to be seen to be profiting by releasing something (even though us as fans knew the release was planned before Keith's death)?

The narrative has been completely changed. It used to be all about the music. As you'd expect, any interview now would be wanting to talk about Keith and they possibly don't want to talk about it.

If they do decide to stop I'd hope we'd get the final release (of whatever it was they'd been planning) at some point.

The Prodigy music and live shows have brought a huge amount of pleasure and joy to a lot of people. There are a lot of people hoping they decide to continue but will understand if they don't want to.

I agree with everything you said, even though I don't exclude the possibility that everything is over and there won't be any official announcement, but as you said, it's still early for such conclusion.

www.myspace.com/thespyral
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:22 pm
User avatarPrivatePrivatePosts: 275Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:32 pm
I think AONO will still get something happening this year/next year but I think Liam and Maxim is still thinking about what are they going to do from now on after Keith's passing.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:58 pm
GruntGruntPosts: 15Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:13 pm
Yeah, I think a lot of processing has to be done.something like this will obviously change your outlook on a lot of things! The band is probably the last thing on his mind,even going back into the studio is probably still to raw!!!

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:39 pm
GruntGruntPosts: 80Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:05 pm
Having spoken to a few band friendly peeps I think we could get some info perhaps next month.

I’m still convinced LH is involved or was involved in the Bond 25 soundtrack with either a track or part of the writing for the OST.
This I believe was part of any announcement he was going to make for this year.

I think this is more likely to be shelved now Danny Boyle is off it and Keefs passing.

Who knows!!!

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:49 pm
PrivatePrivatePosts: 224Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:57 pm
It's still only three months since it happened.

I'd be surprised to hear anything this year.

If they decide to continue I suspect it wouldn't be till next year. And tbh, I'm veering towards it being over. Any new release is tainted by what happened. That's all we'll hear - 'Keithless Prodigy'.

Horrible way for it to end, but right now, while it's still pretty raw, I can't see any way forward.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:26 pm
I'm not underplaying Keith's very important role in The Prodigy but until 'Firestarter' The Prodigy music was always "Keithless" (apart from 3 words on - Fire (Sunrise Version)).

Bands can carry on after the loss of a member. I really don't think Liam will stop making music. It's what he likes to do. The question is whether he'll keep using The Prodigy name. He's entitled to keep using it if he wants to.

The live show if it continued would obviously be different but again, before 'Firestarter' all The Prodigy shows were Maxim only vocals.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:19 pm
GeneralGeneralPosts: 1769Joined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:09 am
I hope Liam will carry on doing his thing, maybe something a bit more experimental like AONO.

But yeah I think some sort of statement would be nice to have, can even just be a "we are looking at different options" or "we dont know yet" - it doesnt have to be a final decision of any sort. Just any kind of news.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:54 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 1015Joined: Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:29 pm
Lets be real people Keith literally had 2 lines of vocals for 2 songs on No Tourists! It was almost like Keith was a guest vocalist! Lol musically prodigy is still alive! Just not on the live performance side of it, as live it takes all 3 of them to pull off the show! Let's dig thru the attic Liam an release all that amazing shit that you think sucks! Lol

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:23 am
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 1304Location: RomâniaJoined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:58 am
My guess is that it will be at least 1 year before we hear of any Prodigy future plans. I see Liam continue to do his own thing just not Prodigy. Liams' creative input, for the past 3 albums, came from the live shows. That being said I hope some last Prodigy release will happen.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:14 pm
PrivatePrivatePosts: 233Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:31 pm
I am definitely starting to itch for some news about the future.

I know there's a lot for the two left to think and talk about, but I don't think it is 'too soon' now to expect some words for the fans. Even if it's just "nah, we're done" it would be nice to at least know that.

Hoping there is more to come from them of course. I echo what has been said about Keith's role - as much as I loved him, and yes he helped bring the buzz on stage - I feel it is quite feasible for a live show to carry on in some form. (I get roasted by the casuals in the Facebook fan groups for saying this).

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:40 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 2881Location: ESTJoined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:30 pm
knowing Liam as much i'v heard him in interviews, i really doubt he is done writing beats. to be honest, i doubt that we will see Liam and Maxim together as The Prodigy. Still i think they would be powerful together. Prodigy in live setup has always been music driven. But i think they have too much of respect what they were.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:33 pm
PrivatePrivatePosts: 224Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:57 pm
James Jupiter wrote:
I'm not underplaying Keith's very important role in The Prodigy but until 'Firestarter' The Prodigy music was always "Keithless" (apart from 3 words on - Fire (Sunrise Version)).

Bands can carry on after the loss of a member. I really don't think Liam will stop making music. It's what he likes to do. The question is whether he'll keep using The Prodigy name. He's entitled to keep using it if he wants to.

The live show if it continued would obviously be different but again, before 'Firestarter' all The Prodigy shows were Maxim only vocals.

My comment had nothing do with vocals. I meant he was the fabric of the band - he and Maxim's absence from input was deeply felt on AONO.

I mean I suppose TCM carried on with the name despite Ken leaving - but then that was an amicable separation. This is a bit different. All the music Prodigy will release will now be without Keith's influence. Whether that's a Prodigy we're all ok with only time will tell.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:35 am
Danny_G13 wrote:
My comment had nothing do with vocals. I meant he was the fabric of the band - he and Maxim's absence from input was deeply felt on AONO.

I mean I suppose TCM carried on with the name despite Ken leaving - but then that was an amicable separation. This is a bit different. All the music Prodigy will release will now be without Keith's influence. Whether that's a Prodigy we're all ok with only time will tell.

Not everybody is going to be okay with any possible future music releases from The Prodigy. That's the same as when Keith was alive. Fans of The Prodigy have come and gone over the years. Some 'Experience' fans didn't like 'MFTGJ'. Some didn't like the change from rave to 'TFOTL' vocals and guitars. Some didn't like it when Keith started doing more vocals and less dancing. Some didn't like 'AONO'. Some haven't liked any tracks for years.

Keith and Maxim are/were integral to The Prodigy live (so was Leeroy before he left the band). As far as I know Keith was on stage for every live gig ever performed by The Prodigy. Up to and including 'TFOTL' Liam wrote his music with Keith and Leeroy's live show dancing in mind. When Leeroy left The Prodigy they stopped playing his tracks (e.g. Funky Shit). Keith and Maxim's influence on the music started with 'Poison' for Maxim and 'Firestarter' for Keith. After skipping 'AONO' their vocal contribution to the albums continually increased. Obviously if Liam and Maxim decide to continue to perform live the live show will be very different. The live show from the early days is very different to the later years.

I've been following The Prodigy since 1991. I don't instantly think of Keith and 'Firestarter' when I think of The Prodigy. My first memories of The Prodigy are instrumental tracks. To people who got into the band later their first thought of The Prodigy will probably be Keith and Maxim vocal tracks. When Liam remixed a track for another artist it was a remix by The Prodigy. Keith wasn't influencing that music. Some people may have missed Keith and Maxim on 'AONO' but for me Liam was perfectly entitled to put out that album as The Prodigy. He came up with The Prodigy name. If Liam wants to keep producing and releasing music as The Prodigy then he should (he has built up 29 years of name recognition for The Prodigy). If he decides to retire The Prodigy name and put music out with a different name (or his own name) that's up to him.

The Rolling Stones, Manic Street Preachers, Stereophonics, Oasis, The Prodigy (Sharky and Leeroy), etc, etc have all had line up changes due to the death or leaving of a group member. Bands can carry on if they want to.

Offline Profile