<  PRODIGY NEWS  ~  So what now.....

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:54 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 1007Location: Atomic WastelandJoined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:26 am
Now just imagine a prodigy gig without Keith... I can't.

Not under the same band name at least. If they would like to carry on with the live shows, The Prodigy is no more I think.

They may contunue under a different name, and RAGGED FLAG is a possible one.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:32 pm
User avatarColonelColonelPosts: 826Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:51 pm
The Prodigy could perform with Liam, Maxim & the live band. It would be extremely sentimental the first many shows, but I will bet that they still could do it, and Keith would have wanted them to continue the journey. Surely they would have to let go of Firestarter & Breathe, but I think these tracks have done justice through the last 23 years. Liam could probably make a Keith tribute mix in the sets though. Let's see what happens.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:14 am
User avatarGruntGruntPosts: 97Joined: Tue May 15, 2018 11:47 am
James Jupiter wrote:
Danny_G13 wrote:
My comment had nothing do with vocals. I meant he was the fabric of the band - he and Maxim's absence from input was deeply felt on AONO.

I mean I suppose TCM carried on with the name despite Ken leaving - but then that was an amicable separation. This is a bit different. All the music Prodigy will release will now be without Keith's influence. Whether that's a Prodigy we're all ok with only time will tell.

Not everybody is going to be okay with any possible future music releases from The Prodigy. That's the same as when Keith was alive. Fans of The Prodigy have come and gone over the years. Some 'Experience' fans didn't like 'MFTGJ'. Some didn't like the change from rave to 'TFOTL' vocals and guitars. Some didn't like it when Keith started doing more vocals and less dancing. Some didn't like 'AONO'. Some haven't liked any tracks for years.

Keith and Maxim are/were integral to The Prodigy live (so was Leeroy before he left the band). As far as I know Keith was on stage for every live gig ever performed by The Prodigy. Up to and including 'TFOTL' Liam wrote his music with Keith and Leeroy's live show dancing in mind. When Leeroy left The Prodigy they stopped playing his tracks (e.g. Funky Shit). Keith and Maxim's influence on the music started with 'Poison' for Maxim and 'Firestarter' for Keith. After skipping 'AONO' their vocal contribution to the albums continually increased. Obviously if Liam and Maxim decide to continue to perform live the live show will be very different. The live show from the early days is very different to the later years.

I've been following The Prodigy since 1991. I don't instantly think of Keith and 'Firestarter' when I think of The Prodigy. My first memories of The Prodigy are instrumental tracks. To people who got into the band later their first thought of The Prodigy will probably be Keith and Maxim vocal tracks. When Liam remixed a track for another artist it was a remix by The Prodigy. Keith wasn't influencing that music. Some people may have missed Keith and Maxim on 'AONO' but for me Liam was perfectly entitled to put out that album as The Prodigy. He came up with The Prodigy name. If Liam wants to keep producing and releasing music as The Prodigy then he should (he has built up 29 years of name recognition for The Prodigy). If he decides to retire The Prodigy name and put music out with a different name (or his own name) that's up to him.

The Rolling Stones, Manic Street Preachers, Stereophonics, Oasis, The Prodigy (Sharky and Leeroy), etc, etc have all had line up changes due to the death or leaving of a group member. Bands can carry on if they want to.

+1

Well put James Jupiter! My thoughts exactly..

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:57 am
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 1513Location: GreeceJoined: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:12 am
I believe they will be back...

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:48 pm
User avatarColonelColonelPosts: 894Joined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:45 am
well, playing live i think is out of the question unless they do some sort of tribute style gig with guest vocalists for keiths songs?

the other idea is they release a new album with some of his lyrics on. im sure there are plenty of un-used/un-heard vocals that have been recorded and could be used on new material. it could be the last prodigy album then liam and maxim might move onto other things.

personally i like the idea of liam and maxim being known as the champions of london and they work with other artists. Prodigy-esq sound but far enough away that they can begin a newer legacy.

That or Liam will just produce for other artists as will Maxim.

Either way, the lads have everyones support regardless!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:45 pm
GeneralGeneralPosts: 1782Joined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 2:52 pm
For me the only question around playing live again isn't the possible set list but more of whether Liam and Maxim want to or not. If they decide they want to continue to perform live then the set list could be anything they like.

There's an expectation from some people that an artist has to play the 'hits' at every live show. Would people really turn up at a Prodigy gig expecting to hear Keith's main vocal tracks now? If they wanted to play those tracks then they could use recordings of Keith's vocals. They could be played as instrumentals. I'd be surprised if they ever had anyone else do Keith's vocals, especially on 'Firestarter'.

It's a personal thing for Liam and Maxim. Can they imagine doing the live show without Keith? If they can then great. If not then so be it.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:40 pm
GruntGruntPosts: 56Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:50 am
They definitely could carry on as only a few tracks have Keith's vocals (as has already been said). As much as the show could continue, could they still do it off stage? All the travelling for their shows and Keith not being there. Could they cope with that? It's not like he's just left the band to do other stuff. If they did continue I guess the live shows would be massively cut down. I've seen Queen live and they do a Freddie Mercury tribute halfway through. They could do that for Keith.

With regards to music, I'm sure there's loads of unreleased stuff that could be released. Liam has always made music so he might continue even if it's not in The Prodigy name.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:11 pm
SergeantSergeantPosts: 472Location: SK/HUJoined: Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:13 pm
Keef achieved greatness.

I'm waiting for the new "The Wonder" artist to appear but until someone achieves their level they are only second tier.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:00 pm
PrivatePrivatePosts: 103Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:25 pm
It's such a shame but in my opinion I think Liam & Maxim will pull the plug on The Prodigy after they have had time to come to terms with everything.

Keith was integral to the band and to the energy that Liam drew from to write the tunes. They've been a unit at the top of their game for such a long time now that I think they would struggle if they were to continue, the energy would be completely different.

They were able to continue when Leeroy left the band because (as harsh as this sounds) they still had the three biggest contributors to the music.

I just think this will be enough reason for them to stop. I hope I'm wrong ofcourse.

Making music is in Liam's blood so I think we'll see a lot more from him in the future musically but under a different monicker.

Just my opinion.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:15 pm
ColonelColonelPosts: 853Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:31 pm
ofcourse they can play without keith. They played without Maxim in 2015 once and I do not think keith is more unmissable.

However, it will be difficult as the prodigy is about energy, and the sadness would make it very heavy.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:50 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 2916Location: italyJoined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:44 pm
I think that at the moment we're pretty far from all this.

www.myspace.com/thespyral
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:40 pm
User avatarCorporalCorporalPosts: 370Location: Athens, GreeceJoined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:31 pm
Still too soon for anything to be announced. If there will be something to announce...
No matter how inpatient we might be, this is the case.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:13 pm
ColonelColonelPosts: 853Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:31 pm
I personally would make a last tribute album, to show how great a performer he was. There must be tons of unused bits that sound good. Ofcourse it depends on wether they would like that and if his family would apreciate it.

In the past they were scared of repeating themselves, sacrificing tunes where keith actually gave really good performances. The Prodigy was central, the benefit of the band was the most important. Now I would place him central.

I personally Keith was at his peak around his 30's. Not the firestarter anymore, but a grown performer. This was in the time of Trigger, Nuclear, first version of warning. Those are all actually good songs that never got a chance. Original version of Awol was amazing too. Also I would release as much live footage as I could. I know it was a dark time for the band, but Keith pulled some amazing performances on those. Not sure if that was all studio recorded ofcourse...

On the other hand I can also understand if they just want to let it rest.

On a personal note:
For the first few months i could not play any Prodigy track. Just now I can blast Get Your Fight on without feeling weird. It's a fucking great band. Thanks for the music. And if you decide to play live again we will all be there. And if you don't then it's all fine too. We are all thankfull for what you did, and what you will decide to do.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:37 pm
User avatarGeneralGeneralPosts: 2916Location: italyJoined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:44 pm
I understand you guys, but for me it is the opposite. I'm currently listening to the Prodigy, not because Keith is dead, but because I just can't accept the idea that it is over. They continue to be the soundtrack of my life and my main inspiration on doing music.
I don't want to seem silly, that's really what I feel and think.

www.myspace.com/thespyral
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:40 pm
GruntGruntPosts: 56Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:50 am
They're my favourite band of all time so I can't not listen to them. We have to keep blasting out their music.

Offline Profile